Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Any suggestions for games to play with a 10 wk old puppy to help strengthen the bond and have fun (and maybe tire him out a bit haha)?

P.S. You guys are really awesome; thanks for being there for us new puppy owners.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you have another person, you could play “Go to!” Have one person call him, then reward. Then the other calls puppy, and then rewards. You can also play this by yourself by running away from puppy and calling him, or calling him from a different room.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! we played that a bit with him this morning and he liked it :) It went for a few minutes and he learned the word come! So that's wonderful. He is so bright and sometimes a bit mischievous haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
I play a heeling game with Galen when he is over energetic. I walk or run around our yard, abruptly changing direction and speed. His job is to chase me. Periodically I look down to my left side to see if a puppy is there. If the puppy has kept up with me the puppy gets a treat!I

I also play a game where I have him jump on and off a low stone bench. He enjoys it for whatever reason, and the skills are later transferable to getting in and out the tailgate of my car. I'm careful not to do it too long or too often out of concern for his joints. However, it's really handy when I need to tire him quickly.

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
Peggy looooves "Find it." You can start out super easy, just by hiding a favourite toy in plain sight or under a blanket, then excitedly say "Find it!" and celebrate when he grabs it.

As he matures, you can work up to having him sit, stay, and watch you while you hide it.

Eventually he can sit in a hallway or another room while you hide the toy, but always return to him before releasing him to find it.

You'll be amazed how quickly he learns this game, and how wonderfully it reinforces some really useful behaviours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts