Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need some brainy ideas so I can sit and chat online...lol..Chase (12 week old standard) can get pretty hyper twice a day it seems. When he does, he starts bothering Toby who is older and just wants to sit on the couch. I have started walking him at night for about 20 minutes. When I get back it seems like he has a burst of energy and starts yapping and biting at Toby and who ever wants him to stop. I have started sticking food in the back of his chair cushion and making him sit down roll over for a treat that will work sometimes but then he can still be wild...I have a kong I put stuff in too. Any other ideas? Honestly I'm to scared to walk him more it's hot and he's still so young...but this late at night I'm ready to settle down. I will be starting puppy classes with him next week so that should help but in the mean time any more ideas or games he could play and tire his little self out? (well he's pretty big now going on 23lbs...)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
23 lbs!!! WOW! Ok, I am starting to feel that Ki-ki is under weight LOL! She is 10 mo and 39lbs lol but she looks and feels GREAT! JK, but really have you tried a laser pen? Mine LOVE it! make sure it is read though, they are not to green sighted lol. It is a way to interact with him as well as entertain you! It can be quite fun!. Also, try to teach him fetch if he does not already know, he is old enough, that way you can toss the item from the puter chair and he will bring it to you. A teather ball pole? You can get them pretty cheap at walmart teach him to hit the ball, I have seen people teach thier dogs that, hours of entertainment if he is toy motivated. Just a few Ideas, hope you find something that will work for you, I know how puppies can be if they are bored lol!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks! That's some good ideas. Keep them coming

I just measured him and he's over 18inches in his back. This guy is pretty heavy. I was carrying him the other day and made the comment I didn't think my kids wieghed this much while I was carrying them around. To me he looks blocky insted of fine featured. His grandfather was HUGE. Mom was 65lbs dad was 70. I'm not even sure if that's huge or not...LOL! I wasn't looking for a huge poodle because my house is so small but wouldn't trade him. I do have a fenced in yard and park/lake right behind me so that helps with the close quarters. To me he's a little on the chubby side but I'm not used to large breed puppies so he may be just fine. The vet didn't say anything either way.
Jen

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know someones going to say post pics!! LOL! I can not get good picks of him. He's black and I only have my phone can't find my camera...I'll try I'm going for a walk outside...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Bubbles are fun too. If you are outside, he can chase them and jump. Hopefully, that will get some energy out of him.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The vet didn't say anything either way.
Jen
I am not one to rely on the vet to say anything really, because there are so many obese dogs out there these days, I really don't think vets say anything to the owners because most take offense. I would ask the vet, just to be sure, he is due for a rabies soon, ask the Dr then. My neighbor has 2 lab mixes, and OMG they are HUGE! Not big, but FAT!!!!! She gets upset with me when I tell her that if she put them on a lower cal, diet and cut out the "cookies" they would be better off lol, one is older and athritic, and has a hard time moving with the weight as a factor as well, she struggles. But our vet, we have the same one, has not said ANYTHING to her about it and she actually uses it as a crutch so she will not have to take action to get her dogs to a healthy weight. NOT saying that is the case with you by any means, just giving example as to a vet not speaking up when the dog is so painfully overweight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts