Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galen has been a counter surfer since he developed the coordination to stand on his hind legs. Of course, it doesn't help that he had a few delightful early successes with tasty food when we didn't realize he had grown tall enough to reach something. Bad humans! Now my routine involves doing a quick scan of the counter for anything edible and unsecured before I leave the kitchen.

Today my husband came downstairs, stopped, and with amusement in his voice called over to me, "Why is there a lime on the living room rug?"

We both looked at Galen. Galen looked at the lime and made the air snapping half bark he makes when he wants us to throw a ball. Hmm. Why, indeed, is there a lime on the living room rug?

Add to kitchen task list: secure any fruit or vegetable which might be substituted for a tennis ball.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This made me laugh. The other day I caught Winnie on her back legs licking my mum's banana while she was still eating it. Yuk. Mum didn't know any better as she has dementia and Winnie will eat anything. And as she is a tall mini she can reach the dining room table quite easily so I have to be careful what I put within her reach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our first standard was a surfer. Our big boy (72 cm at the shoulder) is not. He will gently rest his head on the dining room table, but is not rewarded with people food. Our 6 month old puppy (56 cm) is a surfer. Everything must be kept far from the edge of the counter.

·
Registered
554 Posts
One of my rescues was a horrible counter surfer. Try putting aluminum foil on the edge. I don't know how long you would have to keep the foil on before he would forget about the counter, since he has been doing it for a while.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Zephyr is not a counter surfer, I can leave anything on the counter and it is safe from him. The cat, however.....
Just as I was feeling good about having such a good dog I hear crunch crunch, look down and the cat has gone up on the counter, gotten my glasses and brought them in to chew on. Please remind me, WHY did I want a cat?

·
Registered
596 Posts
LOL!!! I am totally laughing as I’m reading through these posts. Bobby is terrible when it comes to counter surfing. He’s a master! We have to be extremely diligent about keeping the counters and tables clean. In addition to food, he has a special fondness for pens and pencils. He totally has me trained as I say, “Drop It” and I then reward him when he drops the stolen item. LOL! After having a Great Dane, I thought there would be no dog who could compete with him when it came to counter surfing. Bobby has him beat hands down. It’s because he’s a wicked smart thief, LOL! I do have to add that if you catch him in the act he is super good at stopping when you tell him, “Off.” 😉

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
Our first spoo would have never thought of jumping up on the counter. Winnie on the other hand has been curious since her first days here. Even as a 9 week old pup she was standing up on the cabinets sniffing and wondering what fabulous things were up there. We tried to deflect/distract. We tried to keep the counters cleaned off and eventually we set up noisy traps with towels or washcloths loaded with pie tins and canning rings. That worked for 6 weeks and we are once again correcting and setting up noisy traps. It's harder now that she's so tall. This activity is new for us so every day we are learning what works or not with this pup.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Peggy will go weeks or even months, acting totally oblivious to counter and table tops, garbage cans, everything. And then one day she’ll walk by carrying something ridiculous like my backscratcher. I don’t know if her self-control runs out or if it’s more of a “biding her time” thing.

The other day she walked by carrying the whole bathroom wastebasket, as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

·
Registered
632 Posts
if I dont watch deacon close enough he will JUMP ONTO THE COUNTER

he knows when I'm not watching, he knows better. Sometimes he's the worst dog ever

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
So far with Renn he doesn't surf, however my neighbors standard well one of them is really bad. You can even put your glasses, keys, toothbrush, anything down for a second and turn around. He will grab it and destroy it. Last week they just picked up a bottle of meds $150, meds he grabbed the bag while the husband walked in another room for 30 seconds, he came back out bag was opened pill bottle squished. Thank goodness the pharmacy replaced upon seeing the evidence. Nothing I mean nothing is safe with him.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,702 Posts
Mia is an inveterate countersurfer and scavenger. When I visited my family with her when she was 6 months old, I spent the first evening Mia-proofing the counters and trash, as they could not quite grasp her range. Since she usually hunts for food and I'm a vegetarian, our diets don't have much overlap, allowing for a mostly peaceful coexistence. However, a couple of weeks ago I was reminded not to take this for granted when I walked in on her hoovering the fried tofu out of my Thai take-out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Zephyr is not a counter surfer, I can leave anything on the counter and it is safe from him. The cat, however.....
Just as I was feeling good about having such a good dog I hear crunch crunch, look down and the cat has gone up on the counter, gotten my glasses and brought them in to chew on. Please remind me, WHY did I want a cat?
I just adopted a cat who is "good with dogs." Are your cat and dogs "friends"? I'm hoping mine will be.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I just adopted a cat who is "good with dogs." Are your cat and dogs "friends"? I'm hoping mine will be.
Yes they are, they play together a lot. Just give the cat lots of time to adjust and make sure he has places he can go to get away from the dog so he feels safe. My cat had not been around dogs, it took him about two months to thaw.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
One day you will find your cat, with the attitude of a scientist conducting a fascinating experiment, gently pushing items off a counter or table to evaluate the reaction of its idiot dog--who will be only too happy to indulge the curiosity of his good buddy the cat

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
430 Posts
One day you will find your cat, with the attitude of a scientist conducting a fascinating experiment, gently pushing items off a counter or table to evaluate the reaction of its idiot dog--who will be only too happy to indulge the curiosity of his good buddy the cat
Ha! Funny stuff

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Yeah cats...another story..why i have cats I don't know. I have a persian who is a good cat, doesn't scratch, or get into anything when she jumps on counter and thats not often. I have two others that well one adopted us as my daughter found it when it was around 3 weeks old and the other we adopted. My daughter always liked cats and I found it difficult not to give them a home. Those two have destroyed my leather furniture and carpets too. Some of which I have not replaced as whats the sense. I also can't stand litter being tracked , thankfully I keep their toes in the laundry room so its fairly well contained. They will also investigate anything on the counter, either tasting it or knocking it to the ground. Why do I have cats? But I took them in so here they will stay, but there won't be anymore. (I hope) LOL

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning I heard a thump in the kitchen while I was downstairs doing laundry. Galen had dragged an entire bag of tangerines off the counter. After extracting a single tangerine from the bag he took it under the dining room table for closer examination. I suppose it's good for a young dog to explore different career options, although I think he'd eventually find the daily grind of airport citrus inspector to be a little repetitive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts