Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galen was totally nuts this morning: zooming up the stairs, hurtling off them again when he got to the top, mugging the cat, stealing things...just a total pain. We called one of my friends and asked if she would mind going on a dog outing with us. She said yes. Yay!

We met up at a large open area and let our dogs off leash. Galen immediately bounded over to my friend's dog and rudely got in his personal space. My friend's dog growled at him, charged him while air snapping, and then broke off the chase and returned to his owner after Galen retreated 10 feet.

Galen was absolutely shocked. Other dogs have growled at him before, but he's never been aggressively chased. I trotted ahead of the group so he could stick close to me for comfort while keeping away from my friend's dog. My husband was distressed. My friend and I both shrugged and said, "well, that's a lesson which needed to happen." He's at the age where other dogs aren't going to tolerate him acting like a punk kid. I'm glad he got the slapdown he needed from an adult dog with good social skills.

Indeed, within a few minutes Galen approached the other dog much more politely. This time the other dog let him tag along, and they had a grand time running through the tall grass checking out all the sights and smells.

He is now passed out on my bedroom floor. A tired dog is a good dog!

·
Premium Member
12,890 Posts
Always a shock when the puppy licence runs out! I have been watching the Yorkie pup next door learning essential life skills from my animals - don't bounce on Poppy, she doesn't like it; when Sophy says "Enough!" she really means it; never tease cats unless you want your nose smacked. Somehow once is often enough when the lesson comes from another dog.

Reactions: Vita

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always a shock when the puppy licence runs out! I have been watching the Yorkie pup next door learning essential life skills from my animals - don't bounce on Poppy, she doesn't like it; when Sophy says "Enough!" she really means it; never tease cats unless you want your nose smacked. Somehow once is often enough when the lesson comes from another dog.
Yes. Pogo and my cat were, perhaps, a little too tolerant with him. In retrospect, Pogo's cancer had kicked into high gear right around the time when Galen's puppy license ran out. Pogo was probably less strict than he might have been otherwise, as a result. We definitely made a point to give Pogo quiet time without being mauled by a puppy when it seemed he wasn't feeling well.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Galen's red letter weekend continued with a play session with my duck hunting neighbor's grandkids. This was awesome. He is very dog savvy, plus the kids see him as an authority figure. He stepped in repeatedly to school them on not making quick gestures, so I didn't have to.

I was also schooled. He reiterated that Galen, as a poodle, was not suitable for duck hunting. However, pheasants are a possibility. He then detailed where I might take Galen to see if he has the right stuff to find and flush pheasants. I think this excursion probably won't happen. My inexperience with long guns is such that my companions and my dog are safer if I leave the hunting to others.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
"He reiterated that Galen, as a poodle, was not suitable for duck hunting." Huh?! Not suitable for duck hunting?! That's what poodles were bred for! There are hundreds of photos online showing poodles retrieving ducks - lead your neighbor to them.

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Galen's red letter weekend continued with a play session with my duck hunting neighbor's grandkids. This was awesome. He is very dog savvy, plus the kids see him as an authority figure. He stepped in repeatedly to school them on not making quick gestures, so I didn't have to.
What a dream!! Wish we could all borrow this man and his wonderful grandkids for socialization.

·
Super Moderator
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"He reiterated that Galen, as a poodle, was not suitable for duck hunting." Huh?! Not suitable for duck hunting?! That's what poodles were bred for! There are hundreds of photos online showing poodles retrieving ducks - lead your neighbor to them.
I know, lol. The local duck hunters are aware that poodles are water retrievers. They just don't think poodles have the body mass or coat to handle northern water temperatures in November and December. their opinion is to let the pudgy labs go splashing around in 35 degree water and keep the lean thin haired thin haired dogs to the uplands at that time of year.

Galen, so far, seems unlikely to redeem his breed's reputation for hardiness. He has shown little interest in being a water retriever on even the warmest of days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts