Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our foster (most likely keeping) Rose sits very un lady like almost all the time. She is about 6.5 months old. Could she have hip or leg issues? Or is this a poodle thing? Merry is and always has been a very proper sitter and never slouches.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
This just cracked me up. I sure hope it's not indicating a health issue!

Peggy sits very properly when we ask her to sit or if she's alert, but when she relaxes she tends to look an awful lot like a man taking up more than his share of room on a bus seat.

Doing some reading now, it does seem like it can signal hip dysplasia....

But also:

"According to veterinarian Dr. Gwen, sitting with the legs to the side is a common puppy posture that is commonly seen when pups are going through those awkward growing stages. At times, this type of sit can be seen when puppies are getting a bit tired during training."

·
Premium Member
22,409 Posts
That is a slobby puppy sit in all likelyhood. Javelin will still sit with his left hind leg jutting out when he is sitting on a slippery floor, but cleans it up on carpet or other less slippery surfaces. If you are concerned your vet should be able to get an idea if there is a pending problem. If they rfind nothing to worry over then you can teach a puppy to sit neatly by having them sit on a platform or a small areas just wide and long enough for them to sit properly. It develops muscle memory for a nice sit.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Asta has sloppy sits I never really trained him to sit up properly. Just a laid back sort of guy. Maybe one day we'll work on this as he does look funny. I think for out in public I might want a better sit (or be embarrassed - better sit, yes, now that you mention it)

·
Registered
217 Posts
My tpoo growing up used to sit that way all the time. I called it "sitting like a person." I thought it unique to her until I got my own tpoo recently and he sits that way all the time unless he's told to sit or is "on alert"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts