Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am generally still keeping Fenris inside because he doesn't have all his shots. I have carried him on walks before but now he is nearing 18 lbs and my back hates me so we've been staying inside more. But yesterday it was finally cold enough to shut off the AC and open the porch door (we have a screen).

So Fenris was playing inside and let out bark (short, not too loud). Suddenly, the neighbor's dogs started barking. The shocked expression on his face was priceless. His whole body froze, ears twitched, head cocked to the side. I think he just realized that other dogs can hear him, even if he doesn't see them.

And then I praised him for not barking back at them even though her dogs were going wild in response (the poor woman has to always corral her dogs inside because once they get started barking, it never ends). But it was also a wake-up call that I need to find more ways to socialize him without putting him in danger.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you find other dogs who seem like good playdate candidates, then exchange contact info. There's an app called sniffspot. You can rent out local yards for an hour from $5-$10 per hr per dog. It's outside... clean... safe...

It's easy to set up. Cordinate a date, time, screenshot the details, and just have the other person bring cash to pay you back.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you find other dogs who seem like good playdate candidates, then exchange contact info. There's an app called sniffspot. You can rent out local yards for an hour from $5-$10 per hr per dog. It's outside... clean... safe...

It's easy to set up. Cordinate a date, time, screenshot the details, and just have the other person bring cash to pay you back.
Good idea, but I want to wait until I get more rounds of shots in. What I need is humans to interact with him but it seems all my friends live in other towns and I just realized how devoid of a nearby social circle I am.

·
Registered
958 Posts
PreCOVID, when someone would stop to admire Normie, I would explain that we were working on social skills and give them a treat to give him. We also sat on a bench at the park and watched people and dogs go by.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts