Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m taking a class at a private training facility and the owner has several dog puzzle toys for handlers to use while we wait with our dogs. I loved this one so much I bought my own. Use the top layer to teach your dog how it works, then you can add the other two layers to make it more complicated. Plus you can add the bone shapes to add more challenges. It’s easy to wash but you can’t put it in the dishwasher.

Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Dog Tornado Puzzle Toy – Stimulating Interactive Dog Game for Dispensing Treats.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I was literally just looking at this puzzle, trying to decide whether or not to buy it!

So you can still use it without the bones? Because I think Peggy would run away with them at this point.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can absolutely use it without the bones. Frankly for a puppy like Peggy I wouldn’t use the bones unless I was certain she wouldn’t chew them. The rest of the layers rotate so they have to use their paws and/or nose to move it around to expose the treats.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
Just be a bit careful if you have two dogs - Poppy discovered how it worked, gave it a tremendous whack to spin the layers, and one hit Sophy on the nose - she has tended to avoid it ever since!

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just be a bit careful if you have two dogs - Poppy discovered how it worked, gave it a tremendous whack to spin the layers, and one hit sophy on the nose - she has tended to avoid it ever since!
Oh my. I wouldn’t have predicted that since I only have one dog. It does spin very easily. Poor Sophy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Normie has two of the other puzzles. On nights when he's not interested in his dinner, we put it in one and he ends up eating it all. He's all poodle - loves the challenge.

We'll have to try this one too.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normie has two of the other puzzles. On nights when he's not interested in his dinner, we put it in one and he ends up eating it all. He's all poodle - loves the challenge.

We'll have to try this one too.
Which ones do you have?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nina Ottosson Dog Smart Beginner Dog Puzzle Toy – Engaging and Interactive Treat Dispensing Game for your Dog’s Toy Box

and

Outward Hound Ottosson Puzzle Brick Dog Toy

So far we've done a Level 1 and 2. Normie's five months old and he hasn't mastered the Level 2 yet.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG Normie is so cute working his puzzle.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What a cute picture!! I'd have trusted Peggy with those bones a few months ago, but not now. Sigh. She'd think they were sooooo much more fun than the treats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What a cute picture!! I'd have trusted Peggy with those bones a few months ago, but not now. Sigh. She'd think they were sooooo much more fun than the treats.
Thanks, Skylar. I've yet to see a homely poodle pup but that baby bear look is a winner.

We stay nearby when he plays the games and snatch up the pieces before they can disappear.
At 18 weeks, 'no' still means 'no' to Normie. For the moment....

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Thanks, Skylar. I've yet to see a homely poodle pup but that baby bear look is a winner.

We stay nearby when he plays the games and snatch up the pieces before they can disappear.
At 18 weeks, 'no' still means 'no' to Normie. For the moment....
There was definitely a moment when Peggy learned (with quite the gleam in her eye) that if we don't want her to have something, it must be quite a treasure.

It's taken some time to undo that inadvertent teaching.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have this puzzle and for months I had to guard Babykins so she didn’t run off and hide the two lift off covers. Even worse because they are round and I have wood floors they rolled everywhere so easily.

I used this puzzle as one of my dog’s tricks for her trick dog titles. Any of these puzzles could Be used as 1 of your tricks if you want to earn trick dog titles.

Strategie Spiel Flip Board for Dogs. Pet Supplies : Strategie Spiel Flip Board for Dogs : Amazon.com

·
Registered
71 Posts
Turns out that the key to helping Normie do the multi-level puzzles was to put his favorite treats on the bottom layer, a lesser favorite on the second, and kibble on the top level. The scent told him that there were more (and better-tasting) treats to keep working for.

It's snowy here today; the puzzles have provided a welcome distraction.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Diannaleeze that’s very clever

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have several of her puzzles for Gilligan including this one. It's where we put his after dinner "dessert" of dehydrated apple bits. Careful with them - some of the puzzles that the pup has to pull on a lever are to difficult for toys to do. My little guy just can't get a grip on them.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both of the ones I mentioned in this post are suitable for toy poodles as well as minipoo.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I just got this Tornado toy and will be trying it out later this morning (after work). I know Zekefur is going to love it... Problem is, Stella will want at it too. I think I'm going to give her a puzzle ball while Zeke is doing his thing. I can't wait to give it to him!

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Isn’t fun watching our poodles work the puzzle toys?

Glad Brisco is enjoying his.

Jojoga, poor Zekefur and Stella will have to take turns. Babykins is lucky , the cat has zero interest in her toys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts