Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a very exciting morning. All day yesterday there were skitter skatter noises coming from the fireplace, and Mum said there was a jackdaw in the chimney again. She put the fireguard up, and fiddled with the damper thing, and we all waited. And this morning it finally came down into the fireplace, and Mum got a towel and tried to get it out but it escaped and flew off across the room, and we chased it. Then Mum chased all of us and it flew onto the window sill and then onto the dresser and Mum was getting very cross and we got very excited and at last she caught it and took it outside to fly away.

And she had just put everything back in place and sat down when there was a skitter skatter noise from the fireplace... We are watching and waiting, 'cos it sounds as if it might be nearly ready to come out, but Mum is all grumpy for some reason...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
You have an exciting house to play in. Can I come over and chase birdies? I would like that.

Love,
Noelle

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do come , Noelle! It got better and better! A bit boring at first, as the next one came down quite soon and Mum caught it first go, and all we got to do was chase it for a bit as it flew away over the houses, but then we went out in the car and had treats at the vets while Mum collected Pippin's medicine, and then we went to the bank and did some boring shopping, watching Mum take clothes off and put other clothes on, then take the new ones off and put the old ones back on (honestly, humans are weird! It was worse than gardening!). But then we went for a really nice walk and got home just as the rain started, and our favourite neighbour had just come home after being away for weeks and weeks so we stopped to say hello and get a treat from him, and then we came into the house and there was a flappity flippity noise and there was another jackdaw flying around - Mum didn't put the fireguard back properly! So we had a lovely chase until Mum caught it, and we chased it again as it flew away, and then we had a scrummy supper, and now we are sharing Mum's potato hoops, while she drinks a glass of wine. She says she feels she has earned it, but she didn't do nearly as much running and jumping as us. Jackdaws are nearly as good to chase as chickens - better in some ways, as chickens never come down the chimney.

Keep an eye on the chimney, Zephyr - you may be lucky too!

[Note to self - remember to book a chap to replace the wire cap on the chimney...! fjm]

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Gin! I'm dying laughing. Sorry, but... oh my. Yes, get someone to fix the chimney cap! Oh noes!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hahah that sounds like so much fun Poppy! I’ve never had a bird in the house and mum says we don’t have a chimney. But maybe one will come through the door and then I can chase it!
Rory xx

·
Registered
10,264 Posts
Haha...as I read this thread, in the beginning I was filled with consternation. Gradually as more and more birds flew out, I was grinning, but glad of their survival. When your mum got the gin ready, I was laughing out loud. Poppy...I can see there's never a dull moment for you in your life. Hope your mum remembers to put the thingy on the fireplace so more birds don't come in. I know you must love to chase them. But it's not fun when mums get cross. On the other hand, they can be pretty fun when they get the gin out. :amen::drink::drink::drink::dizzy:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
You have such interesting adventures at your house. No wonder Mum will need some nice cold gin in order to relax! Hopefully she will feed you scrummy treats while she sips gin!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
My female says you have to cover the chimney opening on the roof. I would love to have birds inside our house! They are so fun to scatter in the yard. I could get lucky inside.

Buck

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Mum says she will ask Mark-with-the-ladders to put a thing on the chimney - our roof is way up in the sky and much too dangerous for most people to do it. There is something squawking in the chimney now, so just possibly today may be fun too!

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FJM: Well, after huge excitement when the window cleaner came very early - big black flappy brush bouncing up at first one window then another, and having to be chased away - we had one more jackdaw down and at last it all went quiet. I gave up putting everything back after the second one, so my room is a tip and there are feathers galore, but at least the dogs enjoyed it!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You have bested my largest unintentional bird-in-the-house count by several. Your companions must think you are magic, to do these things :).

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Oh Poppy... I can only DREAM of so much fun! Mom doesn't have a fireplace, but if we did squirrels would come down. Boy would That be too much! I congratulate you on not knocking your mum down when you were so busy chasing. I get Palmetto Bugs in our house (they have wings and can fly... they look like giant cockroaches), and I sure do like getting them. Mom says I am such a good boy when I do! She is such a sissy girl... can't stand to be near them, and screams when she sees one. I, on the other hand, will search high and low to see where it went. When I do catch it, I play with it. I think carrying it in my mouth does something to their wings as they never fly again. Then i bring it back to my bed, next to mom's chair, and she screams again! "Kill it! Don't let it get away! NOT THERE!!" But I only get to play with them a couple times a year.

So Poppy you are so lucky! I don't blame you mum at all for getting the gin out. My mom gets the Valium out lol. Hope you get lots more fun things to chase over the summer. And I so enjoy when you share you funny stories.

Your friend,
Zekefur (and Stella)

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have never seen a cockroach, let alone a giant one, but my Mum is squirming just at the thought! She says you must be very brave and very fast, Zekefur.
Poppy xx

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What a very kind thought! May I pm you my address, and send a photo of the (very similar) fireplace for your GrandGirls?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yes, please do! They will love knowing that you enjoyed their drawing :). It will be in my hands in a few days. They live on a five acre farm with goats, rabbits, chickens, cats, a cow, a dog, and their large family, in a small town near Asheville, NC. DH is currently visiting after a Mini 60 Year anniversary event and he should be back on Tuesday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts