Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have this pond, a large one, about 3 miles from us called Zuck's Pond and on our way home from the city yesterday, Deb & I decided to stop for a short bit. It was a nice but cool day yesterday. We had Grace and Angel, my two standard girls, and Taffy, Deb's new baby girl. We were trying to get Grace to retrieve a stick from the water, she loves to retrieve, but would only go in up to her chest to get it and not swim out. So, Deb decided to go into the water and call her in, this would be the first time any of our poodles would actually swim. Here are some pics we took at the pond. Hope you enjoy. :)

(This is Taffy)

"Hey, Mom, why you taking your clothes off? Oh! Can I have this?"

[/IMG]

"Whoo hooo!! You want it back, you'll have to come get it!!"

[/IMG]

"I'll show you all how you kill this thing! You'll NEVER get this back!"

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some of Grace in the water....

Grace retrieving stick in water. "BUT I'm not going any deeper than this!!"

[/IMG]

Grace's VERY FIRST swim. Yahoo

[/IMG]

Grace happily came out for a second time of swimming around me (I had to go in as she wouldn't go in for Deb) but after swimming around me, she stuck her entire head under the water, for what reason I don't know. I think she was just curious. But, she got some water up her nose and it scared her so this pic Deb took just after she started to leave the water, as you can see, she was so nervous about what happened that she was slapping the water with her front feet instead of swimming normally. I had to get her to come out again and swim once more without being afraid as I didn't want to end the swimming on a bad note....lol.

[/IMG]

And this is me trying to get Angel to come into the water.
"WHAT? You want me to go into there? No, not me, look how wet Grace is!! I'll just watch Grace if you don't mind."

LOL... looks like I am going to have to help Angel understand that she can swim, that it won't hurt her, that, indeed, she is a POODLE!!!! LOL.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!! And, boy, there was a bit of a chill in the water!

I didn't care about my sock. A baby's gotta play. I just thank goodness that Taffy isn't big enough to run away with my pants!!!! :rofl: This pond is somewhat within view of Rt 100 that is much traveled from our little town to points otherwise.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The battle raged on and on with the evil sock until it was defeated by Princess Taffy of the Kingdom of Zuck's.

And, of course, we can never be upset with our babies for being a little naughty. So, I wrapped my exhausted, muddy, wet little girl in my warm, cozy coat and she fell asleep on my lap on the way home. :smile: She had earned her throne!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Cool Pics , i wish I had a pond or lake close to me :( I want to test out Enzo's natural abilities

·
Registered
478 Posts
Cute pictures. Taffy looks like she might be small in size - is that right? How many spoos do you have? I think I might be getting you and your sisters spoo's confused. You have Jester the little red poodle too right?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cute pictures. Taffy looks like she might be small in size - is that right? How many spoos do you have? I think I might be getting you and your sisters spoo's confused. You have Jester the little red poodle too right?
Yes, Taffy is the newest member, she is only 10 weeks old, or I think 11 now. She belongs to Debbie (spoospirit).

Grace and Angel are mine, and yes, Jester, who is an over sized apricot toy. Debbie also has Billy, a blue male, brother to Grace. So, I have two standards and one toy and Debbie has two standards.

Right now I am at work and Grace & Angel are at Deb's house having a play day with her spoos. They all LOVE their play day. Billy gets all excited when he sees me dropping them off.... lol.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the nice replies!! :)

Great pics, lovely action shots too. Love the swimming ones especially
Yeah, I love the swimming ones also. I can't tell you how excited we were to have one of our spoos actually get to really swim. It is amazing the small things in life that make you happy...lol. We were on our way back from the city and I had to leave to go to work in half an hour... we decided to stop and make this a quick "outing", we just can't seem to pass up a chance to let the dogs out to play in fun situations, especially near water. We so much love to see our dogs enjoying themselves, it is such a great feeling to know they are happy.

I have always enjoyed my dogs and have shown in both obedience with Dobies and breed with Brits (finished two Chs), but I have to say, the poodles have won my heart over. (The Brits, though sweet and beautiful, I found were too hyper for my personality and no matter how well trained, you couldn't just take them outside in the yard while having a picnic or working in the flower gardens without them taking off unless you kept a sharp eye on them or tied them out.) I will ALWAYS love Dobies, they were my first love for pure bred dogs and I have had one in my life for the past 30 yrs. They are just a wonderful breed, wonderful personalities and I always have to go up and pet one if I see someone with one. I love my 8 yr old girl I have now. But their is something about the standard poodles that has just won my heart. I think, maybe, it is because Dobies are a more intense breed and as I get older I am enjoying the gentle manor of the standard poodles. Even though they love to play and love to run, there is just something so gentle in their attitude, something soulful that just gets to me, just hugging and/or petting them makes my whole body relax and I found I enjoy the grooming time together, I don't find it to be a chore. Anyway, sorry about the story..lol.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Thanks for all the nice replies!! :)

Yeah, I love the swimming ones also. I can't tell you how excited we were to have one of our spoos actually get to really swim. It is amazing the small things in life that make you happy...lol. We were on our way back from the city and I had to leave to go to work in half an hour... we decided to stop and make this a quick "outing", we just can't seem to pass up a chance to let the dogs out to play in fun situations, especially near water. We so much love to see our dogs enjoying themselves, it is such a great feeling to know they are happy.

I have always enjoyed my dogs and have shown in both obedience with Dobies and breed with Brits (finished two Chs), but I have to say, the poodles have won my heart over. (The Brits, though sweet and beautiful, I found were too hyper for my personality and no matter how well trained, you couldn't just take them outside in the yard while having a picnic or working in the flower gardens without them taking off unless you kept a sharp eye on them or tied them out.) I will ALWAYS love Dobies, they were my first love for pure bred dogs and I have had one in my life for the past 30 yrs. They are just a wonderful breed, wonderful personalities and I always have to go up and pet one if I see someone with one. I love my 8 yr old girl I have now. But their is something about the standard poodles that has just won my heart. I think, maybe, it is because Dobies are a more intense breed and as I get older I am enjoying the gentle manor of the standard poodles. Even though they love to play and love to run, there is just something so gentle in their attitude, something soulful that just gets to me, just hugging and/or petting them makes my whole body relax and I found I enjoy the grooming time together, I don't find it to be a chore. Anyway, sorry about the story..lol.

Why? It was a great story. Tells us something about YOU. And I agree 100%.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
The battle raged on and on with the evil sock until it was defeated by Princess Taffy of the Kingdom of Zuck's.

And, of course, we can never be upset with our babies for being a little naughty. So, I wrapped my exhausted, muddy, wet little girl in my warm, cozy coat and she fell asleep on my lap on the way home. :smile: She had earned her throne!

ohhhhhh she is so dear! I love that picture in the coat! all the pics are great! you are in Vermont - isnt is cold? or was this when we had a short hot spell? lol

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ha, ha! Hi, Pamela! cold and hot is relative in Vermont. You can have a cold 60 or you can have a hot 60. Depends on where the winds are blowing from. And we're acclimated anyway. I go out in the middle of winter at 20 degrees Fahrenheit down to the barn to feed my horses with just a sweatshirt on.

The water had a chill in it but heck, we've been doing this since we were young 'uns (little, silly hill humor there). You walk up to your knees and watch your lower legs turn a pretty shade of blue and then you walk past your knees and your breath sucks out of you like a vacuum until you set a few minutes. then you don't notice it anymore and you have fun! Doesn't that sound great? LOL

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Yes its does sound great! I reminds me of when I was younger, more steady on my feet lol, and we went to the creek. We have some great swimming holes around here that I used to take my dogs to. Not the poos - Ginger would probably bark at everyone and embarass me! lol Teddy is afraid of the pool - I think he might go in if he could walk in - a pond or lake would be great. We go to Cape Cod a lot and there are awesome ponds there that dogs have not been allowed to go in but this year they are allowd - off season of course - I really want to take the pack and go for a weekend with my daughter. Hope it turns out. Will have to keep Ginger on a long leash - don't trust her lol but Teddy will always come when I call - unless he is following her - then he looks at me - looks at her and goes with her! ha ha ha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts