Poodle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if I want to buy this baby girl. I really want a light red to true adult apricot color. Her father is pure white and mom is light apricot. I’ve already done the leg work and know breeder is a reputable breeder. I just am trying to decide color wise. I know health and temperament are the most important, but truthfully I own three poodles already lol 😂. For 3,500 I just want to make sure she’s exactly what I want color wise too. I guess my user name should be crazypoodlelady.

Reactions: hrsldy

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
Given her parents' colouring I would expect this pup to clear to a pale apricot/golden cream. It's always a bit of a guessing game with any colour other than true black or white, but generally apricots in particular lighten considerably from their colour as pups.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given her parents' colouring I would expect this pup to clear to a pale apricot/golden cream. It's always a bit of a guessing game with any colour other than true black or white, but generally apricots in particular lighten considerably from their colour as pups.
Thank you. That’s kind of what I was figuring. I think I’m just gonna go for it and see what happens. It’s so hard to find a breeder you can trust especially one that lives in the same state. I trust this breeder and already have two cream poodles from her. They were never that red when babies though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you. That’s kind of what I was figuring. I think I’m just gonna go for it and see what happens. It’s so hard to find a breeder you can trust especially one that lives in the same state. I trust this breeder and already have two cream poodles from her. They were never that red when babies though.
Always looking for a reputable breeder, are you willing to share?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I am trying to decide if I want to buy this baby girl. I really want a light red to true adult apricot color. Her father is pure white and mom is light apricot. I’ve already done the leg work and know breeder is a reputable breeder. I just am trying to decide color wise. I know health and temperament are the most important, but truthfully I own three poodles already lol 😂. For 3,500 I just want to make sure she’s exactly what I want color wise too. I guess my user name should be crazypoodlelady.
That is a very high price. Does the puppy have several generations of health-tested ancestors?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Why are you so concerned about the color? reputable breeders usually don't even let you pick your dog, they pick the dog for you based on the information you give them about your lifestyle. I say drop the color idealation, you'll love your dog despite the color.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Why are you so concerned about the color? reputable breeders usually don't even let you pick your dog, they pick the dog for you based on the information you give them about your lifestyle. I say drop the color idealation, you'll love your dog despite the color.
I agree. I wanted a apricot poodle but then I learn that she was shy. I love my dog even though she is black in colour.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
605 Posts
I never knew this until now. I'm getting my spoo in 5 weeks, and I won't know for sure the color or sex until just before I get him. I did let her know my preference, and she took notes, and after temperment testing, then she will "fit the puzzle" together, best possible, with the buyers needs and wants. I have no specific color or sex requirements, and I know I'm going to be Happy with the puppy she chooses for me.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a very high price. Does the puppy have several generations of health-tested ancestors?
Yes she hasn’t updated her website in awhile, but her mother was the original breeder and she took over after her mom passed. Champion blood lines, health tested, health guarantee, AKC registered. I agree I was concerned about the price, but having called several other akc toy poodle breeders in my state and even looking at prices through links listed here, I feel she is fairly priced especially for my area. My first two poodles I got from her were priced less back when I bought them. I asked her why and she said the pricing market had gone up.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree to a certain extent. Pure bred poodles are expensive and they come in lots of colors. I don’t feel bad searching for a reputable breeder that can meet health, temperament, and color. Especially when we are spending that kind of money. I’m not a rich person they get good quality food and vet care, but I do my own grooming. I’m not very good at it lol, but it’s free. They are very loved pets. I do agree that once you get the poodle you are going to love them regardless. Before I’ve spent the money though it’s ok for me to say hey maybe I will try to find a different reputable breeder that has the color I want. If you want a white poodle you would look for a breeder breeding white poodles. That’s just logic. In this case my breeder only had two puppies in this litter, both girls the other ones cream. She mostly gets blonde to cream or blond with the red ears when she has puppies. Sometimes there will be a sweet red one. She doesn’t post babies very often usually there are wait lists. This time she had these two girl’s that she isn’t keeping. They are both pet quality and they weren’t spoken for. I have been talking about a future red poodle for like a year, because remember crazy poodle lady. Then I lost my mind in the past month or so and started talking to my husband about getting a puppy sooner this year or next year or however long on a wait list. Well then I was on Facebook, and I saw this sweet beauty posted on my other dogs breeders page and I melted. I talked to my husband and I thought it couldn’t hurt to ask to see if she was available. She is available but not ready to go yet. 9 weeks and only 1 pound. She wants her to be bigger before leaving the nest.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know not to buy from those scammy online places or the pet stores. I always make sure akc registered and I always ask about health testing. I can honestly say no breeder has ever asked me about temperament though when we’ve talked to them. I figure so long as they are sweet and not gonna chew peoples heads off I’m good with that. Harlequin was our first poodle. She is a standard and was much more affordable. Her mommy was a champion through Canadian AKC? Newer breeder, but she’s gorgeous and healthy and beautifully tempered. I can’t remember what they call it there. Bones aka Leonard McCoy, was our first toy poodle, but he was already five months old and oversized when we got him. We knew that when we bought him. He’s 12lbs these days he’s a good boy a cuddler. He doesn’t like to share his toys with the other dogs, (he is fine with all humans sharing his toys including the kids, though they don’t really take his toys) and is bossy sometimes, He’s all talk though. He’s calm and just likes to be near you. Then Bitsy was six months when we got her and already potty trained. Breeder was going to keep her to show and possibly breed but she ended up being too small. She is an absolute doll and completely spoiled, she loves to be held and she just snuggles up into our necks and wants hugs. She will put a paw down our shirt tops and cling because she doesn’t want to be set down. I’m a homeschool mom. We are home most of the time. She just wants to cuddle. She thinks that humans were made to hold her. Koehl Toy Poodles, Lisa Newsome. I will post a link to sight. She’s on Facebook. You are welcome to check her out.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Picture Gallery. She’s part of the San Antonio Poodle Club. I have pictures of daddy and mommy. Daddy is a champion. Breeding program goes back at least 50 years or more. I would have to ask exact timeline because her website hasn’t been updated in awhile. She is also on Facebook.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Based on the puppy's size, the puppy should remain with the breeder and mom until 12 weeks.

It sounds like (based on the gotcha day ages of your previous pups) you've never had experience with a pup coming home that small. I didn't either until I brought home my maltese/poodle mix 10 years ago, and I learned he came home too early. Not only do you have to worry about low blood sugar, but also body temperature regulation. He definitely needed more care and monitoring than my previous puppies.

I really hope the breeder is not calling this pup a "teacup" and overpricing for that. It seems to be reported here frequently that some breeders are doing that. I've seen a $2000-3000 price range for reputable breeders.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Based on the puppy's size, the puppy should remain with the breeder and mom until 12 weeks.

It sounds like (based on the gotcha day ages of your previous pups) you've never had experience with a pup coming home that small. I didn't either until I brought home my maltese/poodle mix 10 years ago, and I learned he came home too early. Not only do you have to worry about low blood sugar, but also body temperature regulation. He definitely needed more care and monitoring than my previous puppies.

I really hope the breeder is not calling this pup a "teacup" and overpricing for that. It seems to be reported here frequently that some breeders are doing that. I've seen a $2000-3000 price range for reputable breeders.
She’s not at least I hope she’s not. She has never once referred to any of her dogs as teacups and she doesn’t guarantee sizes. Because sometimes tiny puppies have growth spurts. You are right I’ve never brought home a tiny one before. I’m a little scared, I’m not gonna be able to get her potty trained 😬. The smallness will make us extra watchful of her. I did think she was a little expensive especially since my others were so reasonably priced. She seems like a nice down to earth lady. She’s a teacher. It’s so hard to know. I almost said no way right out when we were quoted that price. I did some price shopping and the online ones listed as reputable on this site had price ranges that went up to $5000. Then I thought wow maybe prices have gone up. All the “designer” dogs are so over priced maybe it’s driving up the market for purebreds. Everything costs so much these days. I could still back out at this point. I’m honestly not trying to be dense.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.