Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy started jerking in her sleep, almost like the full-body jerk of intense hiccups.

It went on for about a minute (I thought she was dreaming) until finally it woke her up and she ran to play with a toy....and the jerking continued.

She jumped up on the couch to chew for a bit....still jerking.

It's been ten minutes and the spasms are happening every 20 seconds or so, sometimes multiple in a row. It's very intense and yet she seems totally unconcerned. She's not scared, takes treats...

Any ideas?

Emergency vet is an hour from here, assuming the bridge isn't open for a boat. And she is showing no pain or cognitive impairment. She's batting away at her Kong Wobbler as I type this. Just looks like she's hiccuping over and over and over again, with no hiccup sound.

The only out-of-the-ordinary thing that's happened today is she jumped up to see what I had in my hand and landed hard against the corner of our marble end table. But she's not limping. It was the inside of her shoulder/chest that made contact.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Oh no. That's very worrying. I have never heard of anything like it. I hope somebody has an idea of what it could be. I'm glad that she at least doesn't seem bothered by it. Hopefully that's a good sign.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
It's very puzzling and concerning but I keep coming back to the fact that she's otherwise acting very normally even as this is happening.

Is it still happening, and at the same rate? Is there a chance that it is an extended hiccup episode?

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I'm looking thru hiccuping threads on PF. First hit gave this suggestion:
One thing that works well for me, is I usually stand her up or have her sit up, and point her nose towards the ceiling and she usually gets a burp out and they are all gone lol.
Another suggests rubbing her chest.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It must be causing her some discomfort, because she can't fall asleep. This is her usual bedtime, but it keeps jerking her awake. Torture. :(

I had to stop googling. It was all scaring me too much. (Myoclonus??)

As long as she's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, playing, and not panting/showing any sort of pain, I'm not going to rush to the emergency vet. We'll call her usual vet when they they open at 8am.

Poor Peggy. I hate not being able to help her. She's been such a sweet nurse dog to me the past few days. She doesn't understand why I'm not covering her crate for the night.

It's very puzzling and concerning but I keep coming back to the fact that she's otherwise acting very normally even as this is happening.

Is it still happening, and at the same rate? Is there a chance that it is an extended hiccup episode?
It's still happening, maybe a little further apart. She's trying to fall asleep now.

I pressed my ear to her ribcage to listen for any sort of faint hiccup sound. Nothing.

My husband got video to show our vet.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking thru hiccuping threads on PF. First hit gave this suggestion:

Another suggests rubbing her chest.
Oh good! I've been rubbing her chest and shoulders in case it's a muscle spasm from banging herself on the table earlier. She did just do a nice big burp and then retreated into the back of her crate. I can't see or hear any movement now. I left her collar on so the jingling of her tags would be audible.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Here's hoping for a quiet night 🙏

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Rose. I'm just making a bed for myself on the couch near her crate.

She's officially sleeping now and it finally seems to have stopped. I'm 99% sure. I don't want to keep checking and disturbing her.

If it was hiccups, it's not like any I've seen before. The jerking motion was similar, but not the frequency. Especially not the rapid ones, one after another after another, just a second or two apart.

But if it is GI-related, I wonder if it could be the diaper from the other day. Could that cause some sort of spasm that a burp would fix??

All I know right now is WOW. I love this dog so much. I'd have done anything to make that stop.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
You're in the right place for folks to understand sleeping on a couch by her crate :).

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're in the right place for folks to understand sleeping on a couch by her crate :).
:) I'm so very grateful for you all and your understanding.

I forced my very worried husband to go to bed because he has a long day tomorrow, and he just sleepily reemerged from the bedroom, squinting against the light, and muttered "I don't know what I'll do if anything ever happens to her" before shuffling back to bed.

These poodles of ours are so precious.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
That sounds quite terrifying - I do hope she sleeps well and all is well in the morning, and that the vet can give you some reassuring answers. I won't ask whether you slept - I know you will just have dozed with one eye and one ear alert.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just woke up and saw this. My half-asleep brain can’t think of anything right now other than maybe a torn muscle. Hope you, Peggy and your husband get some rest and all is well in the morning. Will check in with you after work.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’m just waking up and seeing this as well. I hope you all were able to get some sleep and that Peggy wakes up perfectly well. So scary....I always wish our dogs could talk when they are sick, uncomfortable or in pain.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hope Peggy is ok, that's terrifying.

Annie occasionally does full body jerky hiccups while deeply asleep - I was terrified it was a seizure,but she stops when I wake her up. Still, every time she does it, I still google "signs of dog seizure" etc.

These dogs of ours sure are precious, hope you got some sleep too.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I just saw this post. This is scary, I’m sorry it’s happening. Did you film her to show the vet ? If not, try to do it if it comes back (let’s hope not). It looks neurological to me and I would want to have it checked, just in case.

Sending good vibes your way.

ETA : would there be a relation with Peggy eating part of her diaper ? Some chemical going to her brain and causing the twitching ? Probably not, but mention it to your vet.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I'm just reading this today and I'm hoping she had a good night sleep and is back to normal. This is worrying and if it continues I know you will take Peggy to the vet.

Reactions: Mfmst
1 - 20 of 41 Posts