Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it's always in our puppy contract that in a nutsehll should the placement of said puppy into your household not work out for any reason and at any time in the puppy's life we will take it back. If there are changes in your life that render you unable or unwilling to keep your puppy it MUST be returned to the breeder or if that is not possiable ie we have died in a horriable accident, puppy is to be placed in the care of tibetan spaniel rescue for evaulation and rehoming. Puppies do not become part of your estate in the event of your death and are returned to the breeder or TSCA rescue at that time. I'm paraphrasing there but I am extremely specific in the adoption contracts for any puppies, or adults leaving my care. Furthermore, in MY contract buyers have to agree to attend puppy kindergarden classes and basic obedience classes, and at the very least attempt the cannine good citizen test by their first birthday. I go as far as calling and making sure you are already enrolled in above mentioned training puppy class before you are allowed to take your puppy home. Untrained dogs are unsafe, and end up in shelters - bottom line.

I said all that to say this, I have been talking back and forth with an individual who adopted from us ummmm back in Febuary I beleive. Her's was more of a true adoption than a purchase of a puppy because the puppy she got was free minus the cost of the spay because she was born with a natural bob tail. The litter belonged to my mother who I co-own several dogs with having lived at home until November of 2008. I grew up showing and raising the tibbies. Anyway she puts a lot less emphasis on training than I do, being a trainer it's very important to me. While I strongly strongly advised this lady to attend training classes, for heaven sake she lives in my area and could attend MY training class for nothing, my mother did not make her agree to do so in her adoption contract. Hummmm is anyone now surprised that little nubs as we called her now has some behavior issues? No. A dog who is left to rule the household will do exactly that. She's terrorizing the other two tibbies in the house, both of which are male, and she's not listening to a word her momma says. She e-mailed me before christmas asking for help, I pointed her in the direction of my next class at the end of January and offered private training for additional help. She agreed and even made a grooming appt with me for little Nubs. This morning I get an e-mail that she sent to my mother stating that she just can't handle Nubs and her awful agression and wishes to rehome her. Ummmm No, you can send her back and we will rehome her, all the better if you have somebody in mind we will consider them. We need to see this "agressive" behavior you're telling us so much about before we can make informed choices on where to place her. I might point out here that while it is not impossiable for Nubs to really be agressive, anything is possible right, it is much more likely that this is a product of operator error where she is concerned. Agression would be such a drastic departure from the temperment and behavior of her littermates, parents and grandparens on both sides and other half siblings aunts and uncles I am a little suspicious. I'm not calling the poor lady a liar but the first thing my mind jumps to is an enviromental cause for the bahvior such as not setting any boundries when Nubs was a baby and providing no rules or structure for her either because "awwww she was soooo cute". I sent her an e-mail back offering our household as a halfway house since my mother has two puppies and two senior dogs who might not take kindly to pushy young dog. I again offered the option of sending her to me for training and see if I can fix the issue or just giving her up. I wasn't overly polite but I tried very hard not to be harsh. I was sure the lady was upset enough, it's a sad thing. My mother is a very to the point lady, she told her that if that was what she wanted to do to drop Nubbs and her paperwork off with me at the salon and we will see to her placement and training. I start prep'ing for the addition of a possiably agressive dog to my household when I get another e-mail from the lady directly to me saying thankyou for my compassion and commenting that my mother really cuts to the chase. She appreiates my kind words, and she will take me up on the offer of training after all and see if she can make things work out with Nubs in her household. At this point my head wants to explode. I'm a say what you mean and mean what you say type of individual and this back and forth crap about her being the sweetest dog ever but she soooo agressive it getting to me. She's trying to put it all off on the dog, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with how Nubs was raised or wether or not she gets enough stimulation during the day. Nope it's all Nubs' fault and she must just be defective, bad breeding I pressume. I might add here that this is NOT the first tibbie she has had issue with. The two boys she has now apparently fought with eachother for over a year before she got a handle on them. Of course she just tells me that now. Then the obvious attempt to pit me and my professional opinion against that of my mother's via e-mal when my mother is the breeder on the litter and knows this person much better than I do is irritating. The opening line to the e-mail I replies back to her with reads

Donna,
I will be glad to help you however, please don't be fooled, I am much less sympathetic about training issues than my mother is, especialy since all of my previous advice concering the issue at hand has been ignored.

Now I try and be nice, but either you want to train with your dog or your don't. Either your dog is 'agressive' or it isnt. It has a bite history or it doesn't. It's a black and white issue here, that seems to be being made much more complex than it needs to be. If the dog is attacking everything in site then the problem has been allowed to progress WAY to far and yes, sorry, I believe it is the owners fault 98% of the time. I don't exclude myself my that statement either. I have had dog's over the years behave badly and YES I have one even now who doesn't like larger dogs. That is 100% my fault. I just want to say 'I told you so" just once to a person like Nub's mom just to see the look on their face. I'd also like to pop them upside the head, do ya hear me now?! I wish Tibbies had a nasty rep like some of the bully breeds sometimes, that way at least some people might take their training a little more seriously. Just beacuse they are cute and fluffy and sweet doesn't mean they get to skip out on basic manners 101.

Ok sorry, just had to write all that down so I can sleep without dreaming up all sorts of negative things to say to this poor woman who really probably really just needs me to help rather than judge. In spite of what I think of her at this point for the Nub's sake it's important to be free and clear and focus on what is important to get her back on the straight and narrow where she belongs. Send positive thoughts for Nubs, she needs help or she's gonna need a new home.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Sounds like you have it all together - you are a dog whisperer! really you say the same things that he does - its usually the human's fault when there is bad behavoir. good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts