Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thus far, Frosty has taken puppy class, Novice 1 (which teaches pivots and good heel position), and several rally classes. I decided to put him in competition Novice obedience now because we aren't quite ready for Rally Excellent/Master (okay, let's get real--not by a freaking mile).

I had done a couple of drop in ring ready classes at the Beginner Novice level, but this class includes BN and Novice work. We have the same instructor as for drop in, but he didn't remember us (even though we dropped in two weeks ago LOL). When I got there, there were two men in the class, one with a Visla and one with a cream spoo (I know his wife). The trainer noticed I had treats and was totally cool and supportive of that.

We practiced all of the exercises for both levels, except for off leash heeling. Frosty was freaking amazing. He heeled nicely and happily. He was perfect for sit and stand for exam with both the trainer and the two gentlemen touching him all over his body (never mind he's never done stand for exam in his life), sit for 1 min., sit/stay/walk around ring. We need a smidge of work on the recall, getting him to come about a foot closer to me. And he lags on the figure 8. Needs work on down/stay because he hasn't done it for more than is required in rally. But overall, he was so good and I am so proud--can you tell? :lol:

As you can see, my boy is very, very tired from all his hard work :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Brain work does make them tired! It sounds like a nice class. Randomize your treat schedule to pay for just the best executions of each behavior to improve his understanding of the exercises. Once he is really reliable for each exercise then you can start proofing. Remember to keep things fun and give play breaks and to keep Frost man guessing as to what will be next. If you have any thoughts of going past novice start to work on open and utility work now too.

Sounds like it was a great evening.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Wow! You guys are doing some amazing stuff together.:adore: And you've accomplished so much already. What fun you had. He sounds like a really fun dog to work with. I like Lily's advice. And I LOVE that picture of Friskens. hahaha. (I know that's one of your nick names, isn't it?) He is truly wiped out. Looks like Matisse multiplied many times over. He lies spread eagle like that all the time. :laugh:

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brain work does make them tired! It sounds like a nice class. Randomize your treat schedule to pay for just the best executions of each behavior to improve his understanding of the exercises. Once he is really reliable for each exercise then you can start proofing. Remember to keep things fun and give play breaks and to keep Frost man guessing as to what will be next. If you have any thoughts of going past novice start to work on open and utility work now too.

Sounds like it was a great evening.
Absolutely--I do my best to keep things fun! Fading treats, I'm not so good at that. But I will work on it ;)

What a smarty pants! I’m glad the class went well, do you think you’ll stick with this one at his level?

Sounds like he has completed so much already! He looks wiped out lol.
Yes, we have 6 more sessions of this class. I plan to go for two legs of Beginner Novice and two legs of Novice, before returning to Rally Excellent. Then finish 'em all off. I know he can do it, but I will not be surprised if there are NQs along the way. Obedience is way harder than Rally, even though it appears so easy!

Wow! You guys are doing some amazing stuff together.:adore: And you've accomplished so much already. What fun you had. He sounds like a really fun dog to work with. I like Lily's advice. And I LOVE that picture of Friskens. hahaha. (I know that's one of your nick names, isn't it?) He is truly wiped out. Looks like Matisse multiplied many times over. He lies spread eagle like that all the time. :laugh:
Friskins (aka Giant Matisse) is so fun to work with! Hey, you've worked with him! Remember our hike? :lol:

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
You’re going to be an amazing team competing in Obedience.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Absolutely--I do my best to keep things fun! Fading treats, I'm not so good at that. But I will work on it ;)

Yes, we have 6 more sessions of this class. I plan to go for two legs of Beginner Novice and two legs of Novice, before returning to Rally Excellent. Then finish 'em all off. I know he can do it, but I will not be surprised if there are NQs along the way. Obedience is way harder than Rally, even though it appears so easy!

Friskins (aka Giant Matisse) is so fun to work with! Hey, you've worked with him! Remember our hike? :lol:
Yes, All I remember is working on not falling prostrate. :eek::rofl:

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Randomized reward schedules that pay for only the best executions of a behavior is something that both Ian Dunbar and Brenda Aloff emphasize. At our recent Brenda workshop she asked lots of handlers "why did you feed for that?" many times. I think she viewed some of us as being rather like pez dispensers.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Randomized reward schedules that pay for only the best executions of a behavior is something that both Ian Dunbar and Brenda Aloff emphasize. At our recent Brenda workshop she asked lots of handlers "why did you feed for that?" many times. I think she viewed some of us as being rather like pez dispensers.
Oh, I know :) I usually do a ton of treats on his first class, plus a ton of praise and some tug. I'll keep you updated on the fading progress over the weeks :D

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: Poodlebeguiled

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frosty got his first leg and 1st place in Beginner Novice today! He was so, so good. Slight loss of team work on the heeling pattern and tight leash/lag on fig 8, but perfect sit for exam, sit/stay/walk around, and recall. Here he is posing with his prizes. He also got his second Nationals qualifying score in Rally Advanced B, so now we just need one more :D A great morning!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Congratulations that sounds like a great trial morning. Are you showing again tomorrow?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, C! Tomorrow is Maizie's day to shine in barn hunt and some kind of rat tracking new sport, and then back to Frosty on Sunday in the same classes as today, but it will be our first time ever competing outdoors on grass :afraid: He won't run off or anything, but I suspect he will sniff the ground.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Have fun both days! Remember that in beginner novice you can give an extra command, but wait until/if you really need it.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I definitely might have to use that rule to my advantage on that grass! Thanks.

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.