Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frosty and I have one leg in RI, but we decided to try RA A today, with RI entered as backup. There was a field of 6 dogs, including a really nice Doberman and a Beagle. They were our competition going in. My only goals were to A) For Frosty to have fun and B) Get any qualifying score.

We had to go first. This was Frosty's first time competing off leash, and he blazed right by sign #1. Ooops, repeat. I then bumped into him on a 360* turn. After that, he got into the flow. I was talking to him and cheering him on the very long course. He sailed over the high jump, we got through the spiral without collapsing from dizziness or getting lost, things were going well until we got to the sit-stand-walk around sign. Lately, for some reason, he thinks that it means sit, stand with nose stretched to touch my hand, and then sit again. Repeat! He did it great the second time.

After this intense course full of issues, I was extremely pleasantly surprised to see that we earned an 89--no IPs! But, we were the first to go and we had competition, so I wasn't expecting any placement. Fortunately for us, the competition made some wrong decisions that earned IPs. I am so grateful I had purchased and watched Dee Dee Anderson's training DVD several times! I even ran into her at the show and thanked her! Anyone who is newer to Rally should order the DVDs. (Look up DD's Dog Training and you'll find them. She is a Nationals winner and my Rally idol.)

Okay, so the exciting news is that we won the class! I am so proud of my boy who worked extremely hard on that course for me! He was rewarded with a nice hamburger and is napping comfortably with his sisters.

Here is a pic of us with the wonderful judge, Chris Cornell. It was Ugly Sweater Day at the show :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
That is wonderful news! I am not familiar with those videos but I will look them up. Have you looked at the videos the AKC put up on YouTube for new signs? They are pretty good since the teams are judges with their dogs. I found it useful for making sense out of signs that I couldn't get the finesse of from the wording of the signs and the descriptions.

Remember now that you are working off leash that as long as you stay in place and can get Frosty back to you if he leaves (think Lily going to check out a pile of tennis balls on a figure 8 with distractions) you are still able to retry that station. Also if for some reason he leaves the ring and you can get him to come back without moving and without anyone touching him you are still good (have had to do that once or twice too over the years).

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tips, Catherine! I am soooo glad we didn't have the figure 8 with distractions or we really would have been doomed. Haha, that and the broad jump, which we've only schooled at half the width he jumps. Yes, I have watched every AKC sign video including the new ones, multiple times, through Advanced. They are very helpful!

Here's the link to Dee Dee's DVDs (which I actually ordered the digital copies of): https://ddsdogtraining.com/product-category/dvds/rally-series/

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Wow, congratulations team Frosty. I’m impressed how you handled the oops moments.

The off leash is so hard keeping their focus from the beginning to the end. Babykins twice zoomed in rally at the last sign and I couldn’t get her back. It’s frustrating and I’ve been working on this.

Love the Ugly Sweaters.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
What a wonderful win!!! I am so happy and proud for you and Frosty!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, Skylar and Molly!

Skylar, Frosty and I have competed so many times in Rally that I don't get too nervous anymore. Being able to be clearheaded about repeating signs or mistakes and not automatically panicking and thinking it's over has saved us many times. You're doing great with Babykins. Do you do Fenzi stuff with her?

Haha, thank you, Muggles :D

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Do you do Fenzi stuff with her?D
No, do you find it helpful? One of my trainers had me signup for agility with Susan Garrett. I just joined and I’m impressed with what I’ve looked at so far, but these are exercises to help in running agility.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, do you find it helpful? One of my trainers had me signup for agility with Susan Garrett. I just joined and I’m impressed with what I’ve looked at so far, but these are exercises to help in running agility.
I actually don't do the Fenzi training, but my friend who owns Frosty's niece does and she loves it, finds it very helpful in rally training and beyond.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Congratulations to you and Frosty - love to hear about events, even tho Asta will never make a trial dog.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, Claire :love2: There are so many sports out there besides trialing though--if you're interested, you should try one or two!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I haven't done much in the way of full courses with Denise Fenzi, but there are a lot of really nice webinars.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow Congratulations! to both you and Frosty! Rally sounds like a lot of fun and a whole lot of work. Job well done!
Thank you, Mufar--hard work and a lot of fun is exactly how I would describe the rally experience!

Way to go! That's fantastic! Learning how to relax in the ring is so important and you did it. Good for you! This made me really happy. Whoo hoo!
Thank you, Click! How sweet. :hug:

I haven't done much in the way of full courses with Denise Fenzi, but there are a lot of really nice webinars.
I watched one of her free webinars and it was fantastic. I get a little overwhelmed with the whole Fenzi academy stuff (it's expensive too), but I really believe in her philosophy of putting the dog first and finding what really motivates them.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Congratulations ZMom and Frosty!! Great Job! Sounds like you just keep getting better and better and having fun. Love your ribbon picture! :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts