Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share something curious about my now 9 month old Poodle Kid. Some of you may remember that Mini-Poodle was my husband's idea and he was brought into out lives to heal our shattered hearts after losing our 4 year old Dalmatian and then 8 year old English Pointer 2 week apart in March. Going from two large dogs - 100 pounds plus between the two of them - to the itty bitty 3 pound fluff ball that entered our house in late April was an adjustment to say the least. One thing bothered me a lot at the beginning. Poodle Kid was a 3 pound macho man - that loved the company of men - the bigger the better - wanted to play rough and was incredibly mouthy (to the point of ripping sweaters and drawing blood). The one thing he couldn't stand was cuddling or being carried (as if it was emasculating him). Fast forward to today and we just spent the morning cuddling in the bed. He is still a little macho man - but he has discovered that getting your belly and your ears rubbed doesn't exactly suck. He seeks out cuddles and kisses from everybody in the house and even strangers. He was taught that hugs are good (many treats - many clicks and jackpots) I train all my dogs hugging = jackpots because out in the real world many kids rush up to hug your dog (you wouldn't believe how many parents think that this is cute - especially with a huge Dalmatian). So wanted to share this since I sometimes read posts by newbies that are a bit disappointed that their Poodle pups are not as cuddly and affectionate as they like... just give it time..

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh, that is lovely, Moni! I had the exact same experience with Maizie. Gosh, she was independent. Way too busy to cuddle--until she was 10 months old, that was the turning point. Now, she is SO cuddly, I have to crate her at night so I can sleep without a nearly 50 lb. spoo "lap dog" on top of me!

Also, that is a great idea to desensitize your dog to hugs, especially if you find yourself in situations with young children frequently.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I would not know what is it like to have an independent dog, all 8 of my poodles are lap dogs 24/7 if I allowed it. And that is all 3 at one time. There are times "Mommy needs space" with that said they will go to their crate or bed

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
What a nice post, Moni. They are so busy and curious. Everything’s new. It just takes awhile and then they want to be with you every second of every minute:)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Dogs learn human ways of showing affection, given time. Prior to this the show their affection in puppy ways with their needle teeth and romping behavior.
Eric

Reactions: Moni

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dogs learn human ways of showing affection, given time. Prior to this the show their affection in puppy ways with their needle teeth and romping behavior.
Eric
Isn't that the truth. After owning dogs all my life it was quite interesting to me to observe how long it took for me and Louie to mesh our styles. I am convinced that is exactly BECAUSE he has very high what I like to call "emotional intelligence". He is very observant of human behavior and emotions and adjusts his behavior accordingly with nuances I have never observed in other breeds and I have had many highly intelligent breeds (Vizsla, German Shepards). My son calls him "the stress Poodle" because in the office he is the go to point for our stressed out mail carrier and UPS guy and every other delivery guy with a truck who come to say hi to Louie first, to make their day better. I always have to give them their 5 minutes with Louie first - where they play with him, hug him and tell him their worries, before they can resume their chock full days. It's like he is in session... ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts