Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've been kind of stalking this forum for a day after a quick google search for something almost unrelated to this forum (crazy huh?). Finally, after reading almost a dozen topics I decided to join. My name is David and although I do not own a poodle, I'd like to have one of my own someday! I've owned plenty of dogs and I currently own two lovely little Chihuahuas, but I know sometime in the future I would like to own my dream breed (no offense to my baby chis lol). I fell in love with poodles upon learning about them when I was only a child. I watched an underrated film called Oliver’s Company—the cartoon spoo, Georgette, was a favorite of mine. Now, I'm an adult and the real deal leaves me in as much astonishment as the cartoon!

I've been researching and looking into the breed for as long as I can remember and one thing is clear; I'm not exactly ready for one nor am I ready for the activities I want to participate in with it but I know I will be soon! For now, I would love to talk to other poodle enthusiasts and make friends with both breeders and handlers if it's not too much to ask for! I would love to learn more as well if anyone is willing to educate this newbie.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'm currently looking at all sizes. I would love a standard poodle, but I've heard they're much more work in show than mini or toy. So a standard poodle is my top choice but I would be fine with a mini poodle too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to try out show, despite the difficulty of getting into it and perhaps agility or obedience.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have you join the community. I have also seen Georgette lol. She may not always be the best breed ambassador though!

If you are looking to get into show as an amateur you may enjoy showing in UKC because the grooming requirements are much more easily met.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, she's not! But she was a lovely introduction to the breed. Also, I've heard the UKC is much more lenient, I've only been focused on the AKC but I might do some research on the UKC too. Thanks for the suggestion and the warm welcome!

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Welcome to PF , David! Poodles are such a special breed, so smart and so connected to their people. We always had Scottie’s, which are aloof and frankly, rather dim. I had to up my training game when I got a Spoo. This forum was a godsend to a poodle newbie:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Mmfst! I've had mostly staffies growing up and they were intelligent dogs, caught on to training kind of fast. As for Chihuahuas, they're very stubborn and I felt like keeping mine’s attention was hard—we didn't really get through it despite me being so big on it. I feel like I'm capable of training one, but I'm always open to new methods! When I get a spoo, I'm looking forward to working my way up to grooming the dog on my own. I've only worked on short haired dogs and a good lather every 2-3 weeks was it. I know the maintenance of a poodle is much more and that's what I'm looking forward to the most. I'm a sucker for a pretty poodle, lol.

I know this forum will definitely be godsend. I'm still a young adult and my family had only rescued or bought from BYB (we did not know at the time how bad they were!) before I even knew what to look for in a breeder. Still learning along the way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts