Poodle Forum banner

From black to brown?

22K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  spoospirit 
#1 ·
My baby Zappa is now 4.5 months and he's going from jet black to brown in certain places. His "brownest" hair is in a circle around the "dewclaw" pads on both paws, but I've also noticed a slight brown tint around his muzzle. Has anyone ever seen a poodle go from jet black to brown? I have heard of black to gray or silver when the pups turn to adult, but I always thought brown pups were born brown!

I'll post some new pics of Zappa soon...the last ones I posted were when he was only a few weeks old; he's so big now!

#5 ·
Passion4poodles - she almost looks like she is silvering out! Most of the time silvers will fade backwards from the eyes like that but blues just kind of ... turn blue.

I was told that blue Poodles will have little white hairs on the bottom of their feet but i am not sure

This is not something I am a pro in, i just see A LOT of poodles where I work.

#8 ·
Billy is a blue and his hair has a brownish cast to it everywhere. He also has a brownish look to the hair around the end of his muzzle. According to what I have read, blue's take the longest to clear; up to three years.

It can also be from the sun because Billy's is more pronounced now that summer is here and he is spending more time outside. It made the ends even more brown looking.

I have to say, though, that I have not noticed any pronounced brown around his dew claw area.

#9 ·
something else that just occured to me about the browing around the dewclar is salivia staining. If he's licking or chewing around that area he could stain that area. I don't see the staining very often in darker dogs but I do see it occasionaly. Of course that would only apply to the leg not the muzzel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.