Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned in my other posts that DH didn't really want a second dog and he wasn't really very keen on getting a poodle at all. I managed to convince him by being persistent and showing him lots of pics of poodles with a one length cut and face grown out.

Of course, on PF there are all these lovely looking, well groomed poodles that make my heart yearn for a clean face, clipped feet, bracelets and a beautiful top knot.

Shae still has puppy hair so it's thin and inconsistent yet. She's had an all over clip to get used to grooming, but she's hasn't really wanted me to cut her face. I decided tonight that tonight was the night her head needed to be shaved. I tried for 10 mins or so and couldn't get her to settle, so DH decided he should take over.

He puts Shae on her back in his lap and away he goes. I rub her belly and continuously tell her how good she is. DH takes a few swipes with the clippers. I say nothing. He says "It (referring to his clip job to be) can't be any worse than a poodle cut." I just giggle inside. He works away for 15-20 mins and then it's all done...we have a "doodle" that's now a poodle. DH clipped too high so I tried to blend it with some scissoring. I told him after he cut it too high; his response: "well I thought she was being really good, so I thought I'd keep going so she'd get more exposure. The more the better, right?"

Oh I just giggle and laugh (mostly inside) when I look at her now! DH says that I shouldn't do that, she looks fine. She looks so funny, but it's only hair! I've made a few "too shorts" and oopses on Rocky over my grooming years and it always grew back fine.

I may have a poodle that is as poodley as many of you PF'ers yet!

New glamour shots:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Oh my, yes just a little too far back, lol, not to worry it's only hair. I'm surprised she was ok laying on her back to get a face shave though, remember to treat lots. There are so many helpful videos on utube for grooming, I still watch them to refresh my memory.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
OH Dear! Good thing it grows back! Please hide those clippers from the hubby and then start over! DO watch all the youtube videos and get the Shirlee Kalstone Grooming and Clipping a Poodle book! If he hadn't shaved above her eyes it wouldn't have looked so bad!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh goodness! She's adorable and it's great your hubby is wanting to help.
When I first did Elvis' face I found this video very helpful especially with the lip area. She explains it really well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Awwww what a good girl Shae was to stay still! And awesome for your DH to help out! My DH was also not keen on a poodle, but now he's best buddies with Sammy. It will come!

I still laugh everytime I watch the episode where Uncle Si gets a poodle as his hunting dog in Duck Dynasty (in a continental cut!!!). It's on YouTube if you are interested!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Haha maybe you'll start a new trend and it will be inspired by Shae. But it could be the Queen Elizabeth 1 look.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! Even if she looks funny, I think she likes her clean face. She had the zoomies afterwards last night and this am she has a bit of spring in her step.

Shae and DH are best buds and he absolutely loves her! Pretty quick conversion from a non-poodle lover to poodle lover. Cuddles, plays soccer, trains, etc., so is very involved. He loves how active and smart she is.

He clips his cows pretty regularly, but has never clipped a dog. He doesn't clip, bath, cut nails or anything for Rocky and hasn't shown any interest. So when he wanted to help clip Shae, I wasn't going to micro-manage and tell him what to do... guess I should have lol.

It will all grow back and I think it was a good bonding experience for them.

@Caddy: yes she received lots of treats and praise and was pretty content laying in his lap. I've watched a few clipping videos; you are right, there are so many good resources out there.

@Jokerfest: thanks for posting the video. I've watched some others, but yes that one is very good at explaining everything and is a quick watch.

@Sammy the spoo: Oh Duck Dynasty, Uncle Si and the poodles. Such a funny episode! I should re-watch!

@Liz: LMAO....tooooooo funny!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Aren't we lucky that the hair grows back :) Good of your hubby to help out though this time he went a little too far. Maybe next time he will hold Shae and let you do the clipping!

·
Premium Member
22,337 Posts
We are lucky indeed that it grows back quicker even than we sometimes want. I think your DH was a doll for wanting to try. No one at my house ever touches any grooming tools other than nail clippers except me.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe now that she's experienced it once it will be easier for me next time, but yes think I'll clip or at least tell him to where to stop haha.

A for effort...it really surprised me that he wanted to try as well!

We go to the vet (vaccines) and some of my family is coming over tomorrow, so poor Shae is gunna be laughing stock. She doesn't know her haircut is off and she is rather enjoying it. There's a different poise to how she holds her head....or maybe I'm just imagining this....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts