Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly has the worst smelling feet! I can bathe her, clean her feet thoroughly with lavender shampoo, but within 2 days her foot odor overpowers - even though her body still smells nice. She has no redness, rash, or damage between her pads and she doesn't seem to have any discomfort, although she does lick the ankles of her front feet occasionally but not excessively.
I've tried Curaseb shampoo, but that doesn't work to remove the smell for more than a day - no better than regular shampoo. I also have a formula that requires standing her in 1qt water with 1/4c peroxide and 1/4c natural cider vinegar. I tried it for a few days, but it didn't seem to make a difference so it is not getting rid of it permanently. Maybe I have to do it for a longer period?
Does anyone else have this problem and found a good shampoo or product that gets rid of it for good? Is there a safe product to put on her feet after a bath? She will lick it if I put coconut oil on them so I can't use that - she likes coconut too much (which is one of the recommendations).
My vet says some dogs just naturally have it, but somehow I don't buy that there is nothing I can do. Callie has no foot smell whatsoever, never did.
Poor Molly. I would love to find something to get rid of this forever. She is so patient having her feet washed so much.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
If she doesn't have a bacterial or fungal problem, you might inadvertently trigger one with excessive cleaning. I'd probably defer to my vet's advice on this one. If the smell really is bad (and not just that corn-chip smell, which so many of us love), it could be a symptom of a systemic issue, in which case you'd want to address the whole body's health.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
I'd try switching her diet. Could be causing a yeast infection. I'd start by switching proteins and make sure it's a single meat food.
That’s what I would do as well. What we smell like (including dogs) often has to do with what we eat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts