Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying to be calm but wanted to hopefully get some reassurance here.
I was at my friends for breakfast and she’d just had a bbq the night before and there was a bit of fried onion on the floor in her garden.
Before I could pick it up, Poppy ate it.
It was a thing slice about an inch long.

I called the emergency vet and they said give her a substantial meal and keep an eye on her.

She is fine in herself, ate a big bowl of boiled chicken afterwards, was playing and napping as usual.
It’s bank holiday so all vets are closed nearest one is about an hour away.

Is there anything else I should do? I’ve freaked myself out reading about it, as it says it can be fatal and symptoms might not show for 2-4 days

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
How big is Poppy? Mia's had small bits of onion from time to time with no adverse effects, but she's 55 lbs.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
I do not think a piece that size is likely to cause significant problems - the minimum toxic single dose is around 0.15% of body weight for dogs, so you could weigh a similar sized piece and make some estimates of risk based upon Poppy's weight. That won't stop you worrying, I know, and as one who has made frantic phone calls to the vet about chocolate chip brioche, mini mince pies and sundry other stuff I was convinced was going to be immediately lethal I have every sympathy. I would follow your vet's advice - watch her for any signs of drooling or nausea, and be ready to take her to the 24 hour emergency vet if necessary.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Like FJM said, you're likely to continue worrying for the next few days until the danger is past, but Poppy will likely be fine. Using FJM's %, that means up to 0.003 kg (or 0.0066 lb or 0.1 oz) of onion, which you can measure out if you want a better conception of the size (a quick google search suggests the actual amount tolerated may be up to 0.5% body weight, or 0.01 kg/0.022 lb/0.35 oz). Regardless, given how much onion Mia has eaten over her lifetime, between Thai, Indian, Chinese take away and countless soups, sandwiches, and roasts, Poppy will be ok.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T
Like FJM said, you're likely to continue worrying for the next few days until the danger is past, but Poppy will likely be fine. Using FJM's %, that means up to 0.003 kg (or 0.0066 lb or 0.1 oz) of onion, which you can measure out if you want a better conception of the size (a quick google search suggests the actual amount tolerated may be up to 0.5% body weight, or 0.01 kg/0.022 lb/0.35 oz). Regardless, given how much onion Mia has eaten over her lifetime, between Thai, Indian, Chinese take away and countless soups, sandwiches, and roasts, Poppy will be ok.
Thank you this is really helpful! I’m a ball of nerves but I just weighed out what I think she had and it seems like less than that. Her mood and behavior is completely normal and bouncy. So hopefully she’s going to be unaffected and that’ll be the last onion she ventured near

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
I think I may have gpt the decimal point in the wrong place - 5g per kilo is the risk level for cats 10-15g per kilo for dogs. So for Poppy 20-30g - which is about a quarter of a medium size onion. Deep breaths watchful waiting, but don't get too worried.

Reactions: cowpony

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I may have gpt the decimal point in the wrong place - 5g per kilo is the risk level for cats 10-15g per kilo for dogs. So for Poppy 20-30g - which is about a quarter of a medium size onion. Deep breaths watchful waiting, but don't get too worried.
Ok so she probably had less than 2-3 grams so sounds like she’s safe. She had a slither of a slice. You’re so lovely to work it out for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts