Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago after we found cat litter on Jessie's nose and she had a morning of not wanting food or water and being consitpated and gassy, we took her to the vet. $1000 later, her bloodwork was normal, her X-ray was clear, her test for pancreatitis was negative. She was given an antibiotic that we continued for a week, an antacid, and an anti-nausea medicine with some additional pills of that to take home. We didn't end up needing the anti-nausea meds- right after we got home she drank some water and happily ate her small portion of Royal Canin low fat GI diet canned food the vet gave us to try. Appetite was normal the next day, I kept her meals small and frequent. We finished the Royal Canin food and transitioned her to Science Diet Sensitive canned food that has worked well for her in the past when she has digestive upsets. Everything seemed to be getting back to normal, so I started slowly adding some of her normal Purina ONE Sensitive kibble to her canned food.

This last Sunday she only pooped once during the day (she usually goes twice). That night at some point she vomited bile in her crate twice and twice again right after I got her up in the morning. She was anxious to go outside, and produced a good amount of looser (but not liquid) stools. I put her back on the straight Science Diet sensitive food meals with small portions throughout the day. Her appetite was good both Monday and Tuesday, stools still a little looser than normal but still formed.

This morning she's refused her breakfast, ate some grass and pooped 3 times during our walk. Still looser but formed. Then after we got home, she begged to go back outside 5-6x. She pooped just mucus a couple of times, once with a little bright red blood.

Her energy and activity level are normal otherwise, outside of this she doesn't appear to be sick. What are your thoughts? Back to the vet? Wait a day to see what happens as long as she doesn't seem like she's in pain or dehydrated? Offer food or withhold? She's always had a sensitive stomach and is extremely picky with her food, so she gets no treats or anything other than her standard fare. She isn't the type of dog to eat random things either, the only thing we've ever caught her trying to eat is a stray worm or two on a walk.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Poor Jessie! The possibilities are endless when it comes to tummy upset. Hard to even know where to begin. Assuming she's not showing signs of dehydration (which would necessitate a return to the vet), I'd probably get her on a good probiotic for at least a few weeks to help replenish her good bacteria. Antibiotics can be brutal and our vet no longer prescribes them without an accompanying probiotic.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
We gave Thorne to Peggy for her first few months, starting out slowly to watch for signs of bloating: Bacillus CoagulansVET

Another option is FortaFlora, which our vet sells. We gave it to our foster GSD when she was on antibiotics, and saw no loose stools or other antibiotic-related GI issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts