Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a pair of tom turkeys roaming the neighborhood for years. The people across the street from me seem fond of the lads. They installed a bird feeder at knee height, with the result that our immediate vicinity has turned into something of an avian frat party. The old bachelor turkeys have now been joined by a bunch of young punks, who wander around our yards looking faintly menacing with their stalking gait and pink & blue scaly heads.

I went out to putter in the yard, Galen tagging along as usual. The turkey squad hanging out next door was making quiet prrping noises as it foraged for seeds in my neighbor's yard. Suddenly the prrping turned to squawks of avian dismay. "Hmm," I thought to myself. "I wonder what has them so stirred...Oh $%&#."

Some workmen had dismantled part of my fence and neglected to put it back in place after leaving. That part of the fence isn't viable from my door, and I had no idea it was down. Galen had discovered the gap and was gleefully chasing turkeys through my neighbors' yards. The turkey were understandably dismayed. The people next door spotted Galen and mobilized the entire family to try to catch him. Of course, being chased just added to the thrill of the escape. Run run, see how fast I am, can't catch me! I came trotting up just at the point where his initial burst of energy had worn off, so he was happy to come to my call and get a treat.

Alas, his favorite red squeaky ball disappeared somewhere during the escapade. He glanced longingly back at one of the lawns, but it was clear he didn't remember exactly where he had dropped it. Let that be a lesson, puppy, no chasing wildlife while carrying toys.

·
Premium Member
23,856 Posts
I love seeing turkeys. There are some places further east where they have persisted on Long Island, but they definitely aren't going to show up in our yard anytime soon. We are enjoying that bunnies have extended their range through our area though. The dogs have been very polite too.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
We have a rafter of wild turkeys that roam through our area. I once counted 35 wild turkeys. They have quite a range so we see them for several days then they move on and come back several months later. I have had turkeys peck at our sliding glass doors. I assume people have fed them through their doors?

Galen would have had quite a party chasing all our birds. Gobble, gobble, gobble.

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like those turkeys got very lucky! Or would a turkey beat up a standard poodle puppy?
I think Galen has the athleticism but definitely not the experience to take on a turkey. The toms have spurs, beaks, and strong wings. Galen doesn't have Pogo's height and weight advantage, so he'd need speed and smarts to win the encounter. Honestly, I think he'd get sucker punched into next week if he tried to mess with one of the canny old bachelors. Those guys have survived several winters with coyotes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts