Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Milo was free fed up till the point he was neutered. After that, it seems his appetite has increased. He could afford to lose a pound or 2. I want him to go back to free feeding, possible? I am measuring his food now, it’s just so much easier when he free feeds. He is around 18 months.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
When dogs are neutered they are always much more prone to becoming overweight. My neutered dog could never be free fed or he would be obese.
My 2 intact dogs probably could be free fed but I don't feel free feeding is the ideal way to feed so I wouldn't choose to free feed them.
If you are going to 'free feed' I would measure out a daily amount and put that in his bowl and that would just be his daily food and he could eat it as he wants, but my neutered dog would scarf that in one sitting so not really free feeding

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I'm also not a fan of free feeding but I guess if you have just one pet it can be managed. Just measure out the amount he is to get and put that down, and thats its. That way he wouldn't be getting over fed.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
We free fed for years with no problems until I decided we needed to switch foods and I ended up cooking for our dogs. Just measure his portion and for the time being put a tiny bit under what you think he really needs to reduce his weight gradually.

Reactions: asuk

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I free feed Molly but I still run into having to watch her weight because of my bad habit of sharing my meals with her ..........bad bad bad !!! I DO measure her kibble and weigh her raw, but sometimes it is just too hard to deny those beseeching eyes......
And then there are those days when we are training a new behavior and I don't take into mind her already 'measured' portion in her bowl and she gets all those yummy 'jackpots' All of this does not keep the lbs from her little self and it's all my fault LOL! Poor Molly having once more to be on a diet........she is about 1lb. overweight right now and on a little dog that is a lot!

Molly's ideal weight is 13lbs so she should only be fed 0.4 lb of raw A DAY total! (approx 6ozs)
I feed her 3oz plus 1/3 cup of kibble in her bowl daily plus a few treats or a dental chew treat..... but I know I should be feeding her less if she isn't losing weight, yet when I put that down it looks like so little.......I must harden my heart!:banghead:

Reactions: asuk

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Molly's ideal weight is 13lbs so she should only be fed 0.4 lb of raw A DAY total!
I feed her 3oz plus 1/3 cup of kibble in her bowl daily..... but I know I should be feeding her less if she isn't losing weight, yet when I put that down it looks like so little.......I must harden my heart!:banghead:
My pom is exactly the opposite. He's only 3.8 pounds, but intact. I haven't actually weighed how much I feed him as my kitchen scale is broken, but with the amount I put in his bowl I can't believe it even fits in his stomach! (especially when I was feeding him freeze dried). When I was feeding him freeze dried I fed him for the recommended amount for an 8 pound dog! More than double his weight! But that's what he needed to keep on weight (and it was the highest calorie food I could find!) He doesn't get a lot of 'extras' though.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Buck did fine with free feeding also, until he was neutered. My solution was to give him 1/2 in the morning and the other half late in the afternoon, or I would get pleading eyes and see a cartoon bubble over his head, “What breakfast?”

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buck did fine with free feeding also, until he was neutered. My solution was to give him 1/2 in the morning and the other half late in the afternoon, or I would get pleading eyes and see a cartoon bubble over his head, “What breakfast?”
Yup, this is us as well, oh well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts