Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several PF members recommended the Free and Clear products for sensitive dogs. I searched the forum and didn't see anything about dilution. Does anyone who uses this product have an opinion about dilution? Also, I haven't used conditioner on my dog for a while, since his hair isn't prone to tangles or terribly long. Any thoughts on that?

TIA

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Just fo clarification:

Is this the product you are referring too? VetMD Medicated Free & Clear Shampoo? There are instructions lower down this page. https://www.amazon.com/VetMD-Medicated-Shampoo-Sensitive-Fragrance/dp/B06VSRS1N7

Or this product? Free & Clear Hair Shampoo. i have serious allergies and I use this shampoo regularly and occasionally on my dog. I just use it out of the bottle. https://www.amazon.com/Pharmaceutic...shampoo&qid=1604506142&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

Both are great for dogs with sensitive skin. The Vet!D product has over the counter medication in the shampoo, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (0.05%), Hydrocorisone (0.10%) which would help dogs with itchy skin. Not sure If there are limitations on how often to use. Normally with hydrocortisone ointment you apply for a limited time, say 2 weeks then take a week break, because it thins the skin which isn’t good. This is a shampoo which washes off and maybe is used a few times a month so perhaps those warnings may not apply.

The human hair product doesn’t have any medication but it also doesn’t have anything irritating to skin such as fragrance which is why people with skin allergies use this company’s products.

If your dog doesn’t need conditioner and he has skin issues, I wouldn’t use any, the less Is best approach. Most have fragrance or other irritating ingredients. The human Free & Clear has conditioner and I would use that on a dog if you can’t find a safe dog one to use.

Reactions: scooterscout99

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I didn't realize there were two. The human kind was recommended. I've used it once, w/o conditioner, in response to my dog licking his feet. IMO that can be an indication of food allergy, so I went back to the previous food (had recently switched to a kibble he ate a few years ago, just for variety). One way or another, the licking has subsided. I'm bathing again today and will use the shampoo 'straight.'

What is it about being in the company of other poodles that motivates me to groom my dog? (our nosework trial this weekend is sponsored by a poodle training club) I also sewed a new COVID mask out of poodle fabric. We'll both be styling, and hopefully in-tune for the sniffing game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts