Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have remembered my spoos terrible experience with a groomer while traveling this summer : https://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-grooming/261393-grooming-while-traveling.html

Marie was able to get him more calmed down. She was so wonderful, but I think must have avoided his ears as he was so terrified when she first got him.

I finally got home to Marquette a couple of weeks ago. I called his previous groomer here, and warned them that he had had a traumatic experience this summer, and that he may still have problems. So he went in to be groomed a few days ago.

He was fine (thanks to Marie) until they got to his ears. They could not do inside his ears at all! He bucked off the table! They then tried using a muzzle while he was on the floor, with two people holding him, no luck. They were afraid he would badly hurt himself (and maybe one of them too).
He absolutely loves them, so this was a huge change.

Help, does anyone have any suggestions?
I have no idea what the scary groomer did to him, but we are still having problems. He never liked his ears done, but this is now extreme. The groomer said there is no infection, fortunately, but that there is massive hair now.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I would go back to the absolute basics - really good treats, hand approaches ear, treat. Build up very slowly to touching and massaging - when Sophy decided she was NOT going to let anyone look in her mouth after an experience she didn't enjoy I added the phrase "Just looking", and made sure that it really was just looking for a long time. Once he is more relaxed with having his ears handled, you can move on to gently removing some of the hair with ball ended scissors or shaving, but it sounds as if the trauma came from them being very painfully plucked, so I would avoid that. Plucking is generally no longer considered a good thing in any case. If his ears need major attention ahead of getting there through desensitising I would consider having him sedated at the vets - that way he will remember very little about it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Have you had his ears checked by a vet ? It might not have anything to do with the bad grooming experience. If he has an ear infection, that is really painful and he would be jumping for a reason.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would go back to the absolute basics - really good treats, hand approaches ear, treat. Build up very slowly to touching and massaging -........... I added the phrase "Just looking", and made sure that it really was just looking for a long time. Once he is more relaxed with having his ears handled, you can move on to gently removing some of the hair with ball ended scissors or shaving, ......
Hmm, I like the idea of using "just looking". Will start tomorrow:)

I do not know what 'ball ended scissors are!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once he is more relaxed with having his ears handled, you can move on to gently removing some of the hair with ball ended scissors or shaving, but it sounds as if the trauma came from them being very painfully plucked, so I would avoid that. Plucking is generally no longer considered a good thing in any case.
I did a you tube search for removing ear hair with ball tip scissors and was only able to find recommendations for plucking ears.
Do you by any chance know of a video for using the scissors?

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
These are the sort of scissors I use - there are loads out there, all with small rounded ends for safety: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LILYS-PET-Quality-Stainless-Scissors/dp/B01N66MO1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537168297&sr=8-1&keywords=ball+ended+scissors

I just turn the ear back and very carefully snip away the hair a tiny bit at a time. I use my fingers to gently pull it out first, but don't hold it while I am cutting, because of the danger of pulling up the skin as well and accidentally cutting that. I leave the hair deeper in the ear canal alone, and just clear as much as possible from the folds in the ear flap and the outer ear. Just tiny snips, a few hairs at a time - even then, and with round ended scissors, you do need your dog to hold still to do it safely, so I would wait until he is very happy with having his ears handled before even introducing scissors.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fjm, thanks for the description of what you do to clip the ears:) I am surprised I can't find a youtube video of doing this.

It was interesting to go to your scissor link and discover they will not send them to the US! But yes, there are other similar scissors:)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Oh, dear. I am so sorry to hear this about your beautiful boy Tiki. I have watched Marie trim the hair from around the ear openings with her big shears. She only has pulled hair from Poppy's ear, just one ear, once in 2 1/2 yrs as Poppy evidently had a huge wad of hair in there. I know Marie does not pluck unless absolutely necessary. . .doesn't pluck her two standard's ears either.

I have recently considered getting the ball tip scissors myself. Walmart, of all place, in their pet department, carries a nice pair of ball tip scissors made by Oster, the clipper people.

I would definitely do the counter conditioning with treats and ear handling every single day with Tiki. He has such a beautiful sweet soul I would hate to hear of him being pinned down and muzzled. Brings me to tears to think of this.

Hugs to you both, my friend.

Love, Cathy and Poppy

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, dear. I am so sorry to hear this about your beautiful boy Tiki.

I would definitely do the counter conditioning with treats and ear handling every single day with Tiki. He has such a beautiful sweet soul I would hate to hear of him being pinned down and muzzled. Brings me to tears to think of this.

Hugs to you both, my friend. Love, Cathy and Poppy
Oh my, this is showing me how far behind I have gotten in my emails and my poodle forum log ins! Thank you dear Cathy!

Partial Success!
I have been doing the suggestion using 'just checking', along with more recently a bit of ear massage by the opening, and lots of affection and occasional treats :)

Yesterday we went to the groomers and she was able to clean his left ear gently with no problem! (But then when she went to the right ear he had apparently had enough and freaked again.) So still continuing with playing with his ears and affection and treats.

I just fiddled with his right ear and massaged by the opening while he was laying by me on the couch and he just lifted his head briefly and then put it back down again and an is totally relaxed! Yeah.

Boy, it sure takes a long time to recover sometimes from screw up by someone hurting our dear poodles!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Oh my, this is showing me how far behind I have gotten in my emails and my poodle forum log ins! Thank you dear Cathy!

Partial Success!
I have been doing the suggestion using 'just checking', along with more recently a bit of ear massage by the opening, and lots of affection and occasional treats :)

Yesterday we went to the groomers and she was able to clean his left ear gently with no problem! (But then when she went to the right ear he had apparently had enough and freaked again.) So still continuing with playing with his ears and affection and treats.

I just fiddled with his right ear and massaged by the opening while he was laying by me on the couch and he just lifted his head briefly and then put it back down again and an is totally relaxed! Yeah.

Boy, it sure takes a long time to recover sometimes from screw up by someone hurting our dear poodles!
So glad to hear that you and Tiki are making progress. He is such a love bug!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts