Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a flea on the cat. Funny cause the cat doesn't ever leave the house but yet she's the one with the fleas. :doh: So I'm going to treat them all and Borax the carpeted areas. Should I do anything else and what is your opinion on best flea treatment for dogs?

Oh and let me just compliment the fleas on surviving the coldest and wettest winter ever. I mean what? Where the hell have you been hiding all this time?

·
Registered
562 Posts
My cat is the one that brings fleas into my house too! I now have to advantage all three kids and the cat every month. I notice it stays on the whole month unlike frontline. Gracie the Chi got seborrhea from a flea allergies....so she needs to be treated for fleas every month religiously. Its weird though because Mister never ever itches even if he has a flea on him. I only ever find one or two when bathing but its very rare. Its like they dont like him lol. I didnt even treat him this month.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bathed Mia I didn't see fleas on her either but I saw the cat itching her back leg so I looked and sure enough big fat flea. I seriously don't know where the heck they've been able to hide and survive. Don't they die in water? It's raining right now and rained two days last week. I've never seen it this wet here, not even in Spring. I guess I'll have to call up the vet and drop some serious money to treat them all.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sheeesshhh :smow: - I am so sorry to hear that : ((, especially knowing how much you clean all of the time and keep everything neat - you must be disgusted and mad at the same time : ( !

But, fleas are VERY resilient creatures :wacko: !!! They never die during the winter - they are just dormant (fall to sleep) and wait first warm temps. to "revive" ! So, if you did not have literary Freezing temps - they were happy to "jump" in action :smow:

Hope you get rid of pesky buggers very soon !!! :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I KNOW! That's what disgusts me more than anything, how clean we are and now I'm going to have to add more work and vacuum more than I do. I usually vacuum entire house every other day but now I will do it at least once a day maybe twice (morning and night). I cannot stand the thought of fleas living anywhere in my house. It's going to make me paranoid.

·
Registered
875 Posts
get comfortis (sp?) for the dogs, and revolution or something for the cat.

We had the worst year for fleas ever here! I had my guys on advantage multi and it wouldnt even touch them.

The comfortis is a pill and it really worked, and within a day or so

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I saw a flea on the cat. Funny cause the cat doesn't ever leave the house but yet she's the one with the fleas. :doh: So I'm going to treat them all and Borax the carpeted areas. Should I do anything else and what is your opinion on best flea treatment for dogs?

Oh and let me just compliment the fleas on surviving the coldest and wettest winter ever. I mean what? Where the hell have you been hiding all this time?
That was my first thought too! I know you're a lot farther South than me but all of Texas was hit hard this year. Maybe you saw one on the cat b/c it's lighter? I know when they've been a problem w/ my guys it's Bailey or Booger that they show up on first. I don't think I've ever seen one on Harley b/c he is so dark. Up until last year just spraying the yard worked really well but last fall they got pretty bad. I don't like anything about topicals but some directed me to a natural product that I might use. She really liked it on her Huskies.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's been the same here. I've seen a few here and there. I thought the really cold temp would kill them off. I hate 'em!! Anyway, I use the comfortis, and from what I see in my shop it works better than anything out right now. By the way, I still have dogs coming in covered with fleas. I don't know what's going on...:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Even if it's cold outside, it's not frigid inside your house. It's most likely the fleas rode in on your dogs and then jumped onto the cat.

Boy, that is one thing I do not miss about living down south. That, and cockroaches that can fly. :scared:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Don't get me started on cockroaches. If I see one, you will hear me scream a mile away! Talk about nasty creatures.

I'm sorry about the fleas KPOO. I hate the thought about putting Interceptor and Advantix on Zulee every month. It would be nice to find a good natural alternative. In the meantime, I know she is protected from fleas, ticks, and mosquitos.....and of course, heartworms.

Darn the mosquitos.....how I would love to get rid of them!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll ask the vet about comfortis. I think Harry's breeder has recommended that to me a few times when I asked about flea treatments. I've never needed it thank goodness but that's the one she likes.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I think the more humid the air, the better the fleas survive? Utah is pretty much completely flea free, the flea shampoo at my work is completely neglected, lol, we only have it just in case. I've seen ONE on a dog, and he had just moved here from.. missouri? I FREAKED OUT! I grabbed the little sucker, tried to squeeze him between my fingers, looked, he was still alive and kicking, screamed, threw him, freaked out again, and pressure dried myself for probably five minutes and did that little.. flail your hands and do that grossed out dance? Yeah, did that for the rest of the day.

Sorry you're having to go through that! Hopefully you're not as much as a wuss at I!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use the Comfortis also, after trying everything else and nothing working.
I've had some critisize me because of the ingrediants in it, but there are chemicals in all the products. I also like that my poos don't have greasy stuff on their backs and necks.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I've seen ONE on a dog, and he had just moved here from.. missouri? I FREAKED OUT! I grabbed the little sucker, tried to squeeze him between my fingers, looked, he was still alive and kicking, screamed, threw him, freaked out again, and pressure dried myself for probably five minutes
I had to read this twice... I thought you were trying squeeze the DOG between your fingers! :pound: I got it now!!! :)

In all my years as an "animal person" even when managing a humane society when all SORTS of neglected animals crossed my threshold, I've never seen a flea in my house!!! (knock on wood) We would get some animals (mostly dogs, only a few cats) who would come in flea infested but I'd always manage to deflea myself before I got into my car, I guess, because I never brought it home (and my dogs accompanied me to work everyday, but they were never in contact with the new, quarantined dogs...)

Every pet that came in who was suspect of having fleas would get a flea bath and then whatever flea treatment we had in our cupboards (donations mostly) The worst were when the momma dogs would come in with their litter of 2 week old pups and we couldn't efficiently remove the fleas without compromising the babies' health - we'd do baths with very diluted flea treatment shampoo and rinse the heck out of them and then do a thorough body check to look for survivors...

I feel for you KPoos and I hope you can find a good solution to rid you of the pests!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I only spend $14 a month on Advantage for three dogs!!! I get the big 55+ pound tube and then put it in a syringe and give them their doses....it works because Gracie si 5 pounds, Osita is 16 pounds and Mister is right around 50.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
One thing some of our clients do is this:
They buy a cheap flea collar, like Hartz or whatever, then cut it up and put in the the bag or canister of their vacuum cleaner. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
FREAKING...now that made me chuckle.. glad to know that someone else uses that word besides me... my husband gets on to me about using that word.:eek:hwell:
But I am sorry about the flea problem..maybe you caught it early. I like comfortis and it works great. Hope you get rid of those FREAKING FLEAS!:)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
my husband gets on to me about using that word.:eek:hwell:
It's better than some OTHER "F'n" words, if you know what I mean!! :) I use variations thereof all the time! :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts