Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I was petting on Snoops and I felt some lumps under his chin and along his neck. First it was just one... then today I felt LOADS more!

When I tried to check yesterday, Snoops was not having it. I did finally catch a glimpse and it looked like a yellow-ish scab. Tonight when I investigated further there are HUGE scab like things stuck all on his skin under his fur. I didn't get a great view but from what I could see, this is how it appeared. I'm not sure if there are actual lumps (tumors) under his skin... but it feels like something odd...

Along his mouth I saw more of the same.. I thought it was maybe food stuck up under there. When I tried to pull it off it was attached to the skin so I left it alone. Every time I touch one of these knots, he squirms but does not yelp...

What to do? Is is acne? scratches? Do I take him to the vet asap?!
I've never encountered this before. I'm TOTALLY worrying!!!! :(

Could it be doggy acne???? :pizza:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I would take Snoops to the vet. Most likely, it is something very simple, but he may need some antibiotics to clear it up and prevent further infection. The vet can see if it is from an environmental allergy or some sort of allergy from his new food. I figure there are a lot of things in his new food that he hasn't had before.

It could even be an ant bite or something that irritated him and he scratched. Most importantly, I would seek attention for your peace of mind. With your experience, it's hard not to imagine the worst of things such as cancerous lumps. You don't need that stress and Snoops will pick up on that stress and get stressed too. Not healthy for either one of you.

Best to both of you!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My first thought was allergies from his new food, check the tips of his ears, he could have contracted mange as well. I would take him ASAP, but I freak out if ANYTHING is wrong with my girls, my vet laughs sometimes lol!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks P4P - I checked his ears and they seem fine. He has been itching under his chin a bit more than usual. I bathed him and "scrubbed" gently, and I brushed the area out. I think I got alot of the scabbing material off of him. He hasn't lost any hair...
Things look to be improving but I may take him in tomorrow to see the vet...

I also had thoughts about his food. Right now, I am mixing his old food with his new food to transition him. Would it be ok if I just gave him his old food and stopped the new food altogether? I would like to see if this makes a difference. Or should I continue with the new food to boost his immunity to it?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Todd- I would if I could... he won't sit still long enough for me to dig thru all that fur and snap a photo. He will barely even sit still to let me look.
If I do happen to get a photo, I will definitely post it here! :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snoops has an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning... hope I am just over- reacting and spending money needlessly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What kinda bowl does he eat out of?
My first thought was the little bumps that some dogs get if they eat out of plastic bowls.. metal bowls usually clear it up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Snoops eats out of stainless steel bowls, and has many plastic toys - I know that these can be a cause of acne. His bowls and toys are washed regularly...

We actually just came back from the vet, and she said while acne is a possibility it is not very common.

She suggested that it be a flea allergy.. seeing that he had a potential bout of fleas a few weeks ago. He is going to start benadryl (antihistamine) to calm the itching, and he is starting antibiotics. Seems the little nodules are getting infected. It could also be an environmental allergy... it's tough to say exactly what got him. After about a week, if it doesn't clear up she is going to start Snoops on medication for a parasite. We have to try to remedy one potential cause before we can rule that out and move on to the next possible cause.

Poor little Snoopers... I feel like he has been thru the ringer this past month.
The vet also spoke with me about a shot for leptospirosis... is there any of you out there who elect for this vaccine? Is it something that I should really do?

Oh ya! Forgot to mention... Snoops has lost 1 lb! The vet says he is not overweight and wouldn't suggest any further weight loss. She says he does have a little blanket of fat, but it's good for him... he is just the right size! She doesn't recommend that a dog of his size transition to adult food yet... but if I am doing it very slowly (I still have about 2 months supply of puppy food) mixing both foods gradually, it will work out fine :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Didn't you put salt on your floors and such???? Did you mention that to your vet? Just wondering I just thought about it because I forgot about the flea episode, and maybe you just did not get all the salt out of everything and he got salt burned? Is that possible??? Just another theory. I am glad he is on meds to help with the itching!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P4P - You are right, I did salt the floors! Snoops and I actually left town a day or so after that. I forgot to mention the salt to the vet... but she seemed fairly confident it was a flea allergy :(

I will mention it to her next week when I call in! Thanks for the remainder :D

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm glad you got him checked out, and he is on his way to recovery.

Since you took him to your Canadian vet, you could double check with your Texas vet about the leptospirosis vaccine. Even though the bacteria can be found anywhere, the information I read says it tends to be in more tropical areas. Maybe your Texas vet could confirm whether it is something we should be concerned about here. It could be she suggested it because you travel a lot. Either way, I would tend to get a second opinion since little Snoops is already fighting an infection. Seems like that would be a lot for his system to work on right now. A phone question shouldn't cost you anything.

Poor little guy. I bet he likes the extra sympathy huggins!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea BFF... I will call Pet Doctor to find out about the leptospirosis. My girlfriend works there and I had asked her a few months ago. If I remember correctly she said it wasn't really anything to worry about.

As for my Canadian vet - she used to live in Fort Worth and practiced there as well... hence she suggested the lepto vaccine. She says that all those southern states should recommend it..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts