Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help... I'm not understanding a new term I've heard recently. I can't come to a rational or logical reason to GIVE someone one of my best friends and then take her back once or twice a year to breed her.:doh:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
This is something that high volume breeders do . They cant keep them all so they foster them out , or place them in homes that the foster folks understand the this is the situation .. One or two litters... Then the breeder will let the foster family spay or neuter their pet.. i have an issue with it as well, but can see the reasoning behind it I suppose..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then ... GREED is the reason, right? doesn't this have a negitive affect on the friend.. or is this like pimping out your daughter.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Fostering can definitely be a sign of a high volume breeder. I think some breeders like to hide how many litters they have per year by fostering the dogs out and saying "we only have x number of dogs in our home", yet somehow they're still having many litters per year!

However, fostering can also be a way for a responsible breeder to limit the number of dogs they have living with them but also establish a quality breeding program. Rather than focusing on whether the breeder fosters/ co owns or whatever, I would focus on the number of litters they have per year. That really tells more of a story than fostering does.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so this is as far as "doing busness" is conserned. But, but what about the friend.
could you give up your friend for a few months?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Don't people do that when they send their dog off with a handler? I'm not saying it's easy but it's done.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Ok so this is as far as "doing busness" is conserned. But, but what about the friend.
could you give up your friend for a few months?
Yep. And we have! Well kind of. My mom has had 2 litters of PWDs over the last 20 years. The first litter was from our girl. We kept one pup then spayed her. My mom then co-owned a girl with one of her good friends. The girl lived with them. Her friend wanted to have a litter but worked full time and didn't feel she could take proper care of the pups. So her girl came to live with us to whelp and raise the pups, while two of our three dogs went to live with our friend.

It worked out just fine, noone was the worse for wear! We got to have the fun of puppies, the momma dog was just fine (she knew us and our house very well) and our dogs had absolutely no problem staying with our friends as they knew them well. At 8 weeks, the momma dog and one of her pups went back to their owners and our two dogs came back to us. We didn't keep any of the puppies (only 4 were born) but they did go under my mom's kennel name. And one of them just won high in trial in obedience at the last PWD specialty!

Anyway, I was a teenager and not really involved in the decision making for the litter. It worked out, although my mom has said she's not sure she could do the same thing the other way (hand over our dog to someone else to whelp/ raise the pups).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have to agree that was a good situation for all conserned but I'm not so sure that most have an honerable reason. I know I would NEVER put my friends with a handler...for the same reason, no one would spoil my friends the same way.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
"Fostering" is a term that's used by high volume "breeders" to have more breeding bitches/stud dogs to choose from with out having to house/kennel them. I think its a load of ****.

Co-Ownership is a term used by responsible breeders who sell show quality pups they would like to use in their program either as a stud or have pick of the litter from a bitch. After that breeding/s (depending on individual contracts) the dog is signed over to full ownership to the buyer.

The difference? Co-Owners are required to show and health test the dog then working with the breeder they choose a mate depending on a umber of factors. "Fosters" just keep the dog until the "breeder" wants to use it, no showing and minimal health testing and then bred to the next bitch in season.

Sure there are gray areas but but over all if a breeder wants you to "foster" a puppy run away!

Handling on the other hand is fine if you want to use that avenue to show your dog. If they did not enjoy being shown/with a handler they would not perform in the ring.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Omg . . weird to read the opinions here on fostering. It must be completely different in Canada than the USA. I have known MANY breeders here, who are not what I would consider "high volume" who have some of their dogs in fostering situations, and it is a great way to carry on you breeding plans and lines without having a ridiculous number of dogs on your premises. They go into homes where they are loved and cherished (and most times long awaited and anticpated) family members.

I personally feel with two humans living in my home that four to five dogs is what needs to be my cap here. I never want there to be so many that some disappear into the woodwork. I need to be comfortable with the time and dedication I can still give my adult dogs when there is a litter of puppies in my home.

I would never rehome one of my females when I am done breeding her, so I will have the dogs I have, loving them and them being a part of my family until they die, hopefully of old age. So, if I am at my personal "cap" and should I discover a puppy who would bring great things to the table as far as my breeding efforts go, or I breed a litter and wish to retain one of the puppies to breed at a later date, the perfect scenario for me would be to place it in a foster home. It is what it is. Usually foster homes are chosen from a list of people who have been referred to a breeder by close friends, relatives or past puppy buyers, people who have desired a Standard Poodle for a long time and would be excellent guardians for a dog, but circimstances are such that they maybe cannot afford the purchase price of a Spoo, or hubby would not allow them to spend that kind of money of a dog. But they may be a perfect home for a dog otherwise...knowledge, past doog ownership of a breed that requires coat care, a big, fenced yard, a family of dog crazy people ready to love a puppy and give it a fantastic life.

Testing???? Any fostered dogs I know of are tested exactly the same as any other dogs in the breeders program. The breeder pays for any and all testing, the same as they would if the dog lived with them. The breeder either makes the arrangments with a vet for the testing to be done, and the foster parent takes the dog to the vet, or the owner picks the dog up, goes to their vet of choice and has the dog tested, then returns it to the foster home when completed. If a breeder is going to breed this dog, and tests their dogs, why would they not be testing this one if it is going to be in their breeding program?? Doesn't make sense to suggest the testing doesn't get done because a dog is foster.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Omg . . weird to read the opinions here on fostering. It must be completely different in Canada than the USA. I have known MANY breeders here, who are not what I would consider "high volume" who have some of their dogs in fostering situations, and it is a great way to carry on you breeding plans and lines without having a ridiculous number of dogs on your premises. They go into homes where they are loved and cherished (and most times long awaited and anticpated) family members.

I personally feel with two humans living in my home that four to five dogs is what needs to be my cap here. I never want there to be so many that some disappear into the woodwork. I need to be comfortable with the time and dedication I can still give my adult dogs when there is a litter of puppies in my home.

I would never rehome one of my females when I am done breeding her, so I will have the dogs I have, loving them and them being a part of my family until they die, hopefully of old age. So, if I am at my personal "cap" and should I discover a puppy who would bring great things to the table as far as my breeding efforts go, or I breed a litter and wish to retain one of the puppies to breed at a later date, the perfect scenario for me would be to place it in a foster home. It is what it is. Usually foster homes are chosen from a list of people who have been referred to a breeder by close friends, relatives or past puppy buyers, people who have desired a Standard Poodle for a long time and would be excellent guardians for a dog, but circimstances are such that they maybe cannot afford the purchase price of a Spoo, or hubby would not allow them to spend that kind of money of a dog. But they may be a perfect home for a dog otherwise...knowledge, past doog ownership of a breed that requires coat care, a big, fenced yard, a family of dog crazy people ready to love a puppy and give it a fantastic life.

Testing???? Any fostered dogs I know of are tested exactly the same as any other dogs in the breeders program. The breeder pays for any and all testing, the same as they would if the dog lived with them. The breeder either makes the arrangments with a vet for the testing to be done, and the foster parent takes the dog to the vet, or the owner picks the dog up, goes to their vet of choice and has the dog tested, then returns it to the foster home when completed. If a breeder is going to breed this dog, and tests their dogs, why would they not be testing this one if it is going to be in their breeding program?? Doesn't make sense to suggest the testing doesn't get done because a dog is foster.
I was glad to see some of what you are saying because not all fosters are coming from high volume breeders. As a matter of fact we have some breeders on here that are thought of highly that do this, should they comment great but this just is not the case always:)

I have seen some fosters in great situations, and many times a breeder is not even having litters when this is n place. So this would not be considered a high volume breeder...I wouldn't think. And fostering can be a great opportunity for those interested in showing, grooming, and being a part of breeding if they chose this route.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Fostering is not done for non breediing dogs Olie .. The breeder can get into a situation that they do not have either the time or the desire to breed a foster. But the whole idea behind fostering is to be able to widen their breeding dog situation.. Because the breeder either cant or does not want to keep them all. It is not done just because ..
I have a breeder friend that does this and I think very highly of her. But it is not always done for the right reason ... IMHO it is a red flag... But then that is just me..

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Fostering is not done for non breediing dogs Olie .. The breeder can get into a situation that they do not have either the time or the desire to breed a foster. But the whole idea behind fostering is to be able to widen their breeding dog situation.. Because the breeder either cant or does not want to keep them all. It is not done just because ..
I have a breeder friend that does this and I think very highly of her. But it is not always done for the right reason ... IMHO it is a red flag... But then that is just me..
Ok bigredpoodle - yes the breeder might have the hopes for this, but ask any good breeder - this does not always happen, as you know there are many factors that lead up to this. Also a breeder that is showing more than one dog is tied up training, traveling etc. Again, I see more breeders having 2 and 3 litters a year which is fine and some breeders out there that do use a trusted foster home and have not had a litter in a couple years......my point is I don't feel all foster situations are HVB's - :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Ok bigredpoodle - yes the breeder might have the hopes for this, but ask any good breeder - this does not always happen, as you know there are many factors that lead up to this. Also a breeder that is showing more than one dog is tied up training, traveling etc. Again, I see more breeders having 2 and 3 litters a year which is fine and some breeders out there that do use a trusted foster home and have not had a litter in a couple years......my point is I don't feel all foster situations are HVB's - :rolffleyes:
Agreed:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must say for a male, I could see "keeping one's hands on HIM" but not a female. You would not keep the male for a few months.
I very strongly have a need to make my friends feel important. Queen as it were. They know this, do they understand, I believe they do. I made a canopy for their custom whelping box... Yes mine do. I use a baby monitor and sleep next to them tell they can fend for themselves. The mom gets feed every 3 to 4 hours so it won't take as much of a toll on her. I don't take the trust lightly.
Here is the part I hate...THEY ARE NOT CASH COWS...
Breeding should be for the betterment of the line or improvement of color, not because you can.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I must say for a male, I could see "keeping one's hands on HIM" but not a female. You would not keep the male for a few months.
I very strongly have a need to make my friends feel important. Queen as it were. They know this, do they understand, I believe they do. I made a canopy for their custom whelping box... Yes mine do. I use a baby monitor and sleep next to them tell they can fend for themselves. The mom gets feed every 3 to 4 hours so it won't take as much of a toll on her. I don't take the trust lightly.
Here is the part I hate...THEY ARE NOT CASH COWS...
Breeding should be for the betterment of the line or improvement of color, not because you can.
Are you a breeder? I would think you would have heard that term before, Fostering that is. And I agree with this 100% - and any breeder that did it for the wrong reasons is clearly in it for the money only

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I truly did not and I thought this person was kidding... I was the 4th poodle my father had...He had to try poodles before kids.I do understand the male dog may go nuts when the girls are in season- like teen age boys...but please don't pimp out your girls.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I think fostering can be an excellent solution that can solve a lot of challenges that both the breeder and future owners face. I also think it can be cruel and neglectful to the dog.

As in anything else in life, we make choices. Some people will make them to benefit all parties involved. Other people will make them to benefit themselves. The real question for me, would be why they have chosen to use a foster family.

What about the bitch who lives full time at the breeder's home and is having a litter every heat cycle? How does that better the line? Not to mention the welfare of the bitch?

How many times do we hear, "I want my dog to have just one litter then she will get spayed." Why not have a professional breeder do it rather than someone who has never breed? What about stud service? Don't these dogs get put out on loan to other breeders? What's the difference really?

Fostering also, in my opinion, is better than a breeder who sells a bitch once they are done breeding her. At least the dog has one primary home. In the best of situations, it would be nice if the foster family was close to the breeder, so the surroundings are familiar and everyone can visit.

I personally couldn't do this, but I see several reasons why this could be a good thing for everyone, including the dog.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What I don't understand is WHY breeders who "foster" need that many dogs?

I always, always thought that people who bred and shown dogs never owned both sire and dame. If you own the Bitch and want a litter you find an outside stud dog. If you own the Dog you stud him out. You don't own both and your certainly don't have 5 breeding dogs.

With a co-ownership breeders get a dog of their line in the ring with the option to breed. To continue their line and to better their line.

Looking for a breeder has shown me that its not something I ever want to be apart of. I can only count a handful that I have found that seam to be in it for the right reason: to Better the breed.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I am with you BFF I could not foster.. At least not in this time of my life. You are trusting that this "Foster " Has the good sense to keep the female in season away from other dogs, that they can afford to feed her well, take care of the coat teeth and so on .. IMHO it is scary to think about But perhaps I am too much of a controlling person to venture into this type of situation . I am open for co ownership at some point down the line tho..
I gree about selling the bitch when you are done with her , that is just sad ! I get calls and emails from folks looking for that type of dog.. WE just cant .. We love our furkids....Not to say we would never rehome . There are lots of times this could happen . A misfit (Fighting ) or ? But now because they are no longer useful !

1 - 20 of 49 Posts