Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Xerxes is in his 13 weeks. Yesterday, he got the third Parvo booster along with Rabies shot (I preferred to do it separately). However the vet convinced me do them at once. My question is does he need another (forth) parvo booster in his 16 weeks? I really don’t want to give him any more puppy shots...
Thank you!

·
Registered
211 Posts
How is he already getting a third Parvo booster at 13 weeks? Was he started very early or Gett ng them more frequently? The thing is that very early vaccines are rarely effective since the maternal antibodies cancels them out. It's important to have 2 vaccines, 3-4 weeks apart, when he is about 12 weeks or older. So yes the final one at 16 weeks still should be done.
You could always ask about getting a titre done to confirm if he needs it though.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only legally required vaccine is Rabies in the US and I think also in Canada (please correct me if needed).

That said there are Core Vaccines (Rabies is one of those) which most vets will, with good reason, want to give your pup. These include Distemper, Parvo and others.

The next level is called Non-Core Vaccines. These are sometimes called Lifestyle Vaccines. These include Lyme, Leptospirosis and others. Sometimes, due to geographic movement of the means of transmission, or change in lifestyle, these may shift to Core status.

(Naturally, I'll add some links lol.)

Research is showing that many/most of these vaccines remain effective beyond the old 1 year legal re-vaccination requirement (after the original and booster series), and many places will now accept a 3 year Rabies vac because of that.

Titering to check antibody levels is gaining ground in place of simply re-vaccinating yearly (or a longer interval) for non-Rabies vaccines but there is still discussion, not about validity in itself, but testing guidelines.

Core/Non-Core

Titering

How is he already getting a third Parvo booster at 13 weeks? Was he started very early or Gett ng them more frequently? The thing is that very early vaccines are rarely effective since the maternal antibodies cancels them out. It's important to have 2 vaccines, 3-4 weeks apart, when he is about 12 weeks or older. So yes the final one at 16 weeks still should be done.
You could always ask about getting a titre done to confirm if he needs it though.
Glad you dropped in for this:). I'm adding the links to the Vaccination Schedule Guidelines above.

Starvt, somewhere I ran across a simpler grid style breakdown for the guidelines. If you have an easier to view example, that'd be great to see.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Perhaps you mean he got his second Parvo booster at 13 weeks? I believe there's the initial vaccination dose, followed by a series of boosters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was actually the third one at 13 weeks. For some reason the breeder gave him the first shot on 6 weeks. So I ended up the second and the third ones on almost 10 weeks and 13 weeks... it’s my first dog and I never asked breeder why he had the first shot so early... I’m still learning and getting familiar with shots and the process.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It was actually the third one at 13 weeks. For some reason the breeder gave him the first shot on 6 weeks. So I ended up the second and the third ones on almost 10 weeks and 13 weeks... it’s my first dog and I never asked breeder why he had the first shot so early... I’m still learning and getting familiar with shots and the process.
Okay. That makes more sense to me. So he's had three total parvo shots and should have another around 16 weeks.

Sounds normal, but I'm not an expert. :)

Here's the schedule I googled:

DHLPPC
  • First vaccination: 6 to 8 weeks
  • Second vaccination: 9 to 11 weeks
  • Third vaccination: 12 to 14 weeks
  • Fourth vaccination: 16 to 17 weeks
And more detail from the link shared above:

Canine Parvovirus, Distemper Virus, and Adenovirus-2 Vaccines

For initial puppy vaccination (< 16 weeks), one dose of vaccine containing modified live virus (MLV) CPV, CDV, and CAV-2 is recommended every 3-4 weeks from 6-8 weeks of age, with the final booster being given no sooner than 16 weeks of age.

Note: I was using incorrect terminology in my previous comment. Those first four, I guess, are actually just called vaccinations. The "booster" shot comes later.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Okay. That makes more sense to me. So he's had three total parvo shots and should have another around 16 weeks.

Sounds normal, but I'm not an expert. :)

Here's the schedule I googled:

DHLPPC
  • First vaccination: 6 to 8 weeks
  • Second vaccination: 9 to 11 weeks
  • Third vaccination: 12 to 14 weeks
  • Fourth vaccination: 16 to 17 weeks
And more detail from the link shared above:

Canine Parvovirus, Distemper Virus, and Adenovirus-2 Vaccines

For initial puppy vaccination (< 16 weeks), one dose of vaccine containing modified live virus (MLV) CPV, CDV, and CAV-2 is recommended every 3-4 weeks from 6-8 weeks of age, with the final booster being given no sooner than 16 weeks of age.

Note: I was using incorrect terminology in my previous comment. Those first four, I guess, are actually just called vaccinations. The "booster" shot comes later.
No, you were correct (or at least mostly). They are all called vaccinations, but the second and following can also be referred to as boosters.

The schedule that you googled would be ok but is kind of excessive. The normal schedule is 8, 12, and 16 weeks for DHPP aka DA2PP. Lepto can be given combined with those or separately. If separate, according to the manufacturer it should be 2 vaccines 3-4 weeks apart starting as early as 9 weeks (so a 16 week is apparently not necessary. I'm assuming (maternal) antibodies to that aren't as strong, which makes sense since Lepto has to be boostered yearly whereas DHPP is good for 2-3 years after the first yearly one). We usually do Lepto at the 12 and 16 week vaccines.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No, you were correct (or at least mostly). They are all called vaccinations, but the second and following can also be referred to as boosters.

The schedule that you googled would be ok but is kind of excessive. The normal schedule is 8, 12, and 16 weeks for DHPP aka DA2PP. Lepto can be given combined with those or separately. If separate, according to the manufacturer it should be 2 vaccines 3-4 weeks apart starting as early as 9 weeks (so a 16 week is apparently not necessary. I'm assuming (maternal) antibodies to that aren't as strong, which makes sense since Lepto has to be boostered yearly whereas DHPP is good for 2-3 years after the first yearly one). We usually do Lepto at the 12 and 16 week vaccines.
Yeah, that first schedule was just from a quick google search. Never the most reliable.

But the second, more descriptive schedule, I copied and pasted from the UC Davis link shared by Rose n Poos. I can see how it could result in either 3 or 4 parvo shots in those first 16 weeks, depending on how it's interpreted:

Starting at 6 weeks and vaccinating every 3 weeks

vs

Starting at 8 weeks and vaccinating every 4 weeks.

Does it depend more on the vet? Or the breed? Or maybe the region/risk factors?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tbh I would say it depends more on the owner...
Vaccines given at 6 weeks are basically useless due to the maternal antibodies. It seems that the breeders who are doing it so early are mainly those who are trying to get their pups out the door earlier than they should be. Now in high-risk areas, some breeders will do an initial Parvo only at 5-6 weeks, but there isn't really any proof that it helps.
As far as the frequency, really what it means is that they must be at least three weeks apart, but there is no reason to do them so close unless the schedule has been thrown off somehow (most common scenario- unvaccinated dog that owners want to have fixed asap. Or a puppy adopted a bit older than had not been kept up on vaccines). The vaccines can technically be up to 6 weeks apart max to be considered a 'booster', but by the 5-6 week mark the antibodies are likely starting to drop down and may not be as protective.
So if it doesn't work to schedule the booster appointment at 4 weeks, there is some leeway to either side.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the same situation and my vet said get the 4th set too because they really need that one at 16 weeks. So I did and I'm glad. No harm done and my pup is protected. Where we live it's not only other people's unvaccinated dogs, it's wildlife and whatever they're carrying that we have to worry about

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts