Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems I've reached a fork in the road. With Bella still in the hospital (I witnessed her getting blood drawn ut of her HEAD today, she's "okay"but has been spitting up a lot more than norm,etc.)and the talk of a heath care person in and out of our home often for now on, I am facing possibly re-homing some of my pets including the poodles for Bella. It seems unfair and cruel, but I have to do what I have to do. I will probably keep one, i don't know which. If anyone on here is interested in possily adopting one of my three, you can have them for free because I know they will be cared for and can be updated on them. I feel like a bad person for getting pets and then going to have to unexpectedly re-home them when they've done nothing wrong.

Also have siamese kitten 'Sookie" ("Samurai) as wel I will not be keeping.

I have had a rough time here at the hospital with my daughter so far, so no mean/catty comments/feedback on this thread, Bella is coming first.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
M.M. Good luck to you and your beautiful little Bella. I am sure that you are going through a lot right now. It sounds as if the Drs. still do not know what the slow growth problem is, am I right? If anybody says anything catty about you rehoming your beloved pets at a time like this, then I think that they probably have a real problem. Yes we all love our fur babies a lot, but our human babies must always come first.

·
Registered
300 Posts
MM,

First of all ((huggs)). Second of all, we are still praying for Bella and your family. You are right to put your daughter first! Cheers to you for realizing your limitations and for keeping the best interest of your pets in mind. You are not a bad person for not being able to keep them all, when you are going through the situation you are. Pets take a lot of work, recognizing that and the fact that your time needs to be focused on your daughter means that you want the best for everyone. I know you will find a wonderful home for them and although you may miss them, you shouldn't feel bad about doing what is best!

Cash's mom

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that about Bella. I can totally know how that goes and what concerns you have for Bella. Plus, with hospital visits being a possible part of her future, you won't have time for all the animals at home. I only get away with keeping my three dogs because I have a younger sister that stays at my house when my son is admitted. Last week was a full 7 days and thank god I have a sister avail to babysit the dogs. Your kids come first and with Bella being young, she's gonna need her momma right next to her hosp crib the whole time. I think that's a responsible decision to make to find the pets good homes. You'll be able to focus on Bella more as well. I hope the placing dogs\cats goes smooth. You have to do what's best in the end.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
MM, there are legitimate reasons for rehoming pets. Yours is DEFINITELY one of them. I'm sure if any of us were in your position, we would have to do the same. I can't imagine how hard this is for you.
Keeping you and Bella in my thoughts. Wishing your family all the best.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I just feel awful. I have re-homed several pets in the past though just because it didn't work out with them, but this is unexpected and these were supposed to be my permanent babies. :(

If anyone has more room in their heart:

I have a spoo, blue 4 y.o. female for adoption, a 1 year & 4mo. old silver boy, and a 5 mo. ld male (pending on keeping cash)

Also a siamese kitten, lilac point, med. hair, blue eyes.

Pics all around the forum.

Active poodle forum members can have them free of charge as long as I am kept updated with pics and info. PM me for more info, etc. WILL NOT SHIP.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree with the others - I think you are wise to do this as trying to divide yourself between Bella and the dogs will just be so hard! I hope you are able to find great homes really quickly as I know this will be hard to do. Best of luck and praying for little Bella in the hospital - how scary for you and for her!

·
Registered
478 Posts
When I said it would be hard to do - I meant it would be hard on you emotionally (not hard to find good homes). Just wanted to make sure that sentence read correctly...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Oh, MM. I'm so sorry to hear about the health issues with Belle not going well. You certainly belong by her side first and foremost. I am sure your furbabies will find good, forever homes. I wish I could help you out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have lots of things I want to say to you. I hope it is understandable as I am going to try and get them all out.
First, you are one strong person and your child is lucky to have someone as brave and as strong as you. You are a wonderful person. I just hope for the best and I am not so relious but a child in a hospital and of a wonderful person I will say a prayer for you. I am in the health care field and I am a respiratory therapist. If you need ny outside advice be sure that I am here and I can try to answer any questiond or clarify anything for you. As I know when the doctors are talking to you it is very over whelming. It sometimes nice to have a diffrent perspective out of the scenario.

Second of all. I would be glad to take one of your dogs. However, I live in washington. I wish I lived closer as I would take them in for you and look after them until everything is better. I know that they are like children also and at least you know that there in good hands and that they will be there for you if you can take them back. I know, however, you said you didn't want to ship also.

I hope everything is going ok. And its normal for them to take blood out of the head in babies. As there is larger veins there compared to the rest of there little body. I hope you get some answers soon. And I would like to know what's going on but I understand if you would like to not share.

I will say many prayers and think of you and your child. Best wishes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I forgot to add that I would keep one or two. The dog that's the closest to you and the baby. Dogs are wonderful for giving strength to the weak and giving them joy. It is wonderful. I I show my dog to my patients and even thought they are in pain they always smile when they see her. It takes there mind of their world for a second. You should ask as some hospitals will allow dogs to go in for the same reason as I said and let the dog see the patient. But you would have to definetly check. The organizations are called love on a leash and delta society for any one interested to take there dog to the hospital and volenteer for a couple of hours. Its an amazing feeling to see the smiles of the unfortunte. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just a thought but what if it is found to be just a simple hormone type pill she needs to take and then all will be ok.
Is there anyone that can foster the dogs short term for a bit till you see what exactly is going on?
I feel for you to go through so much when you are so young yourself. Don't make drastic decisions right away though. If possible take a week ya so they are crated more this week then normal they will live.
Next week things might look a lot brighter when all tests come back and you will still have your beloved dogs and a baby that is heading in right direction
Good luck to you.

You have got a lot on your plate with decisions take time to make the right ones

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I also MM have a great understanding to what its like to have a baby hospitalized. I think Ive mentioned that I practically lived at Stanford's Childrens Hosp for the 1st year of my sons life. Surgeries started at 2 weeks old. If you have any questions at all please dont be affraid to ask me. There are financial programs, gas cards they give you for the drive, Ronald McDonald housing etc. Also, Ive had plenty of experience with PIC lines, central lines, Iv issues, post operative issues, the pain management and etc. I know are babies have very different medical conditions, but sometimes it helps asking questions to other parents that have been through it.

I think you'll handle this just fine but in case you need to chat or whatever, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh dear, hugs. I feel for you so much. If it wasn't far away I would definately adopt one of you babies. I have a great big heart and would love it. But I can't travel to get one. Someone will make a good home for them. Love Debby

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think anyone here will make any snide comments! It's an extremely difficult decision to make, and you shouldn't be berated for doing what you think is best.

Before I begin I want to say how glad I am that you found Cash and Scooter. I know before life came and smacked me in the face I replied to your thread, and it's always pleasing to see someone reunited with their lost furkids! Some people aren't so lucky, and I'm SO glad nothing happened to them! I know it must be hard to have to consider rehoming them after getting them back.

I also know how hard it is on you mentally and physically with everything that is going on in your life, especially with your daughter. It must be so scary not knowing how serious her illness might be, and the hospital visits. It would definitely leave you drained, and not leave much time for the furkids. I hope everything goes well for Bella! I can completely understand your choice, and Bella definitely needs you at this point.

Though, have you thought of temporary rehoming with family, friends, or forum members who live in your area? They could maybe foster until everything settles?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Poor baby has a NG tube up her nose right now, they are supposed to be taking it out today because she hasn't been puking anymore. No IV yet though. Had an MRI yesterday, still can't find out whats wrong with herreally and they have no idea when we will be returning home.

My husband and I discussed it which inside dog we will be keepin and it will probaby be Cash for several different reasons.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So sorry to hear about the sad situation with your daughter. My prayers are with all of you! I am sure you will find loving homes for your pets, it is most important to stand by your daughter. If I lived closer I'd help you out with rehoming. Best wishes sent your way!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts