Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo! Fun stuff, huh?
So I just got back from Petco. I decided to use their self-service bathing center since they had the raised SS tub and a forced air dryer to use... well, it was not as fun as I thought it would be. Desmond was so anxious, poor thing. He always shakes during baths but he was shaking really bad this time. At least the shampoo worked better this time around... haha. Well, when we got to using the forced air dryer I thought "Ahh, finally I can dry him in a reasonable time and get us out of here!" derr of course the forced air dryer was really cruddy. It worked about the same as my hairdryer, but it did have more kick to it. I would have been there for two hours if I tried to dry all of him... the fur I did manage to dry is still wavy. Bummer, I paid $10 for a waste of time.

So that brings me to my questions...
Forced air dryers:
1) What kind do you have? How much did it cost?
2) How long does it (on average) take to fully dry a standard poodle with one? Ideally, fluff dried and straight.
3) Is there any dryer for under $120 that is worth it? Will it straighten my poodle's hair, or should I just keep saving up and live with a curly poodle for a few more months?

Also, 4) I'm tired after all that. Do you think it's a good idea to let him air dry? ;) JK that'd be a death wish for us- mats abound! He looks so grungy when he's curly, lol, I'm about to just pay someone to bathe/fluff him for me!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Many, many groomers I know use the K9 II or III but they say the K9 I is not powerful enough.

I personally use the Metro master blaster - it has 2 4HP motors in it that really can blast the water off the coat fast. But, its $250 more or less. I can dry my own poodles with 3" of leg hair and 1" on the body in "about" 30 minutes. Some of my poodle clients use the metro dryer that has 1 4HP motor in it. They are pleased. Cost is "about" $160, and for the same length of coat that my dogs have, it would take 45 minutes or longer to dry.

But, you have to decide what length of hair you want to dry. If you only are aiming to ever have a trim that is 1/2" all over, then you don't necessarily need a forceful dryer. If you want leg hair that is 3", then you're going to have to look at more powerful dryers. The more powerful the dryer in terms of feet per minute air movement, then the quicker it'll remove water from the coat and the extreme force of the air will practically straighten the coat for you - not perfect, but almost.

So, yes, you can get a dryer in your price range, but it would not necessarily be the most efficient dryer if you have a long(er) coat.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
This is what I recommended to Trillium as well as others on here. I worked in a shop in the west end of Toronto, it was during the Christmas rush, and the dryer quit working. My boss went out and bought a medium sized shop vac with an exhaust hole (this is the hole you will use). You let it run for a while and it gets warm, and it works as well as a smaller hp dryer, maybe better. Don't ever use it for vacuuming or it gets stinky. We never looked back at the shop, and were so happy with the results we just kept using it. They are about $75 and even if you use it for a bit and save your pennies until you can get what you really want, you can put ther vacuum to use in other ways later.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The shop vac is a great idea! Is the hose long enough? The last one I had didn't have a very long hose.

Has anyone used the Air Force Commander 2?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at shop vacs before but never figured they'd be good enough for a long poodle coat. The only ones around here are at Wal-Mart and I actually haven't found one with an "out" feature, well one that wasn't $200, anyway.

Kanata- that's the thing, Desmond has a ton of hair. About 4-5" on his head and feet, and 2-3" on his body, at least. I love it, and that's why I'm so nervous about buying a dryer for him. I don't want to spend $150 and get disappointed, so I may save up for a higher quality dryer. Thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, maybe it's better to save up a few more pennies. Check out the CFM output of whatever dryer you're considering. The dryer WILL last you a long time, so it's not likely you'll have to replace it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just an FYI, The K-9 II is on sale through petedge.com for $358.
I use a K-9 II. I can blow 2"-4" of hair straight and fluffy in about 20-30 minutes. They are loud though. For your personal dogs, it would last you a very long time and many places do repair the older ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts