Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reluctant to consider a male because my last male dog partook in a lot of disgusting behaviors before he was fixed. If I were to get a male, I'd probably have a vasectomy or leave him intact, rather than a traditional neuter, as per the breeder's requirements.

I am concerned about leg lifting in the house, not being able to control the dog or keep it focused, and, not to be gross but my last dog self-pleasured often.

Obviously, if a female is in heat, I wouldn't want a dog jumping over a six foot fence to reach it, either.

Does anybody who does not show, have either a male-neutered, intact, vasectomized, and if so, what is his behavior like?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have 2 intact males. I do show but I'm not sure why that would mean I couldn't weigh in on intact dog behaviour.
Standard 2.5 yr old. Has never lifted his leg in the house. When I groomed in a storefront when he was younger he lifted his leg a couple times but a quick clap 'hey' correction and he hasn't since. He has in the last month for whatever reason started going into my grooming shop kennel room (I groom from home) sniffing the other dogs and then dribble pee as he leaves the room. I try to make sure I keep the door shut and he doesn't do it elsewhere in the house or even the rest of the grooming area. He will also run and dribble if he's very UP. So every now and again coming out of an agility tunnel he will dribble. Dribbling is harder to train out though cause you don't realize he's doing it till after he's done it! He licks pee from where other dogs have peed, and he licks my other dog's penises (and I'm sure he would other dogs if he spent more time interacting with other dogs.
He stays with my downstairs in my grooming shop while I groom and I don't have any issues bringing in dogs to groom unless they bolt up to him and rudely greet him he'll give them a growl warning and a warning snap if they don't heed his growl (though I usually am right there so able to pull the rude dog away beforehand). He has never attempted to bite another dog or attack another dog and he can also warm up to rude dogs once it calms down. I'm sure I've groomed intact females in heat before with him around and he hasn't been an issue for this. He LOVES all humans.
He can get distracted while working, but for him I think a lot of it is that he's a bit soft so he can get frustrated and then he turns off and chooses to pay more attention to distractions. But he has definitely shown that he is capable in both agility and obedience.
He is not a humper.

Pomeranian 3 yrs old. Never has lifted his leg in the house, l don't think he lifted his leg in my shop ever, but he certainly hasn't since he was young if he ever did. Licks pee and penises. I don't do as much formal training with him but he has agility titles and doesn't tend to be as unfocused as my standard. He doesn't come down to the shop with me anymore as he tends to bark when dogs come and go but that's a small dog thing not an intact thing.
He's not a big humper. Only when very excited and then it's only brief.

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
We have intact males, Javelin spoo is three and Peeves GSD will be ten in October. Neither of them would ever dream of marking indoors anywhere. Peeves doesn't always lift his leg even in the yard (especially if Lily is out with him). Neither of them wanders or tries to escape the yard even though we used to have a neighbor with breeding pit bitches. Neither of them does anything objectionable related to male sexual behavior. The only problem we have is that they don't like each other very well, but mostly at Lily's pot stirring instigation.

Peeves is mostly a house guardian at this point and sticks pretty close to home, goes for neighborhood walks and visits MIL at nursing home. Javelin goes almost everywhere with me and sees other dogs several days each week with no problems.

Reactions: Verve

·
Registered
561 Posts
Zephyr is 2.5 years, was neutered at 2 years old. He has never lifted his leg in the house and has never humped anything since being neutered. I have no unwanted behaviors with him.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Firstly, I don't consider any natural behaviors in dogs "disgusting." Annoying, or challenging, yes. Anyhow, Frosty was neutered at 15 months. He does not leg lift anywhere indoors, is very focused for his age, and does not hump. I would say his most unwanted behavior is that he has a short fuse around dogs outside of his family.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My spoo is 2.5 years old. I wanted a male because my other dog is a female terrier mix who was territorial around other females. He did show conformation and is intact. I was concerned about potential marking but he has never lifted a leg indoors. He has a couple times in barn hunt: once because I ran him without any training, and once on a rat tube because ???? (Our instructor was watching and was perplexed)

He is a sweet boy with high drive for agility and barn hunt/nosework, but very focused on me. Not to say that he doesn’t wander (had an agility seminar yesterday where all of the participants remained in the arena as each dog worked — that was a distraction; so I need to train now with others in the ring). He’s a momma’s boy. I don’t know if that’s just his personality, but the other male that I had the choice of is also a momma’s boy, without the high drive.

He doesn’t hump and has shown no inclination to jump the fence, not even for squirrels who he dearly loves. The only negative consideration with a male to me is that if they don’t lift their leg to urinate, they are likely to hit the back of their front legs. My boy does mark outdoors, on top of every other dog’s urine that he can find. He does this by squatting thereby increasing the odds of soiling himself. I’ve made leggings to cover him when he had longer hair. I don’t worry about it much now, dry his legs if it’s a problem, and can quickly bathe just the legs if need be.

I will research further before deciding whether to neuter or vasectomy when my co-own contract is over.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The only negative consideration with a male to me is that if they don’t lift their leg to urinate, they are likely to hit the back of their front legs. My boy does mark outdoors, on top of every other dog’s urine that he can find. He does this by squatting thereby increasing the odds of soiling himself. I’ve made leggings to cover him when he had longer hair. I don’t worry about it much now, dry his legs if it’s a problem, and can quickly bathe just the legs if need be.
peeing on the legs can happen just as easily when they lift a leg. My mini poodle virtually always lifts his leg to pee and he often hits his front legs (though less so lately, maybe in his old age he's changed his style a bit and now misses them more). My standard lifts his leg, but usually starts trotting around before he completely finishes so he gets his front legs and back legs, and my foot if I'm semi close.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Milo is 15 months and neutered. Never lifted his leg in the house, prior to neutering he marked a ton outside, he still marks, only outside but half the amount. He very rarely humps, he doesn’t hump his dog friends or people. He tries to hump new dog friends so I believe it’s more to assert dominance. I didn’t want a male at first due to leg lifting but then I found out with some training, it’s not a big deal.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firstly, I don't consider any natural behaviors in dogs "disgusting.
If you’d seen my dog with a fully exposed erection, masturbating on the sofa, I think you would feel differently. This occurred OFTEN. I could not have children in the house. Yes, I tried training him and distracting and it did not work. Once he was neutered, the behavior ceased but he continued to lift his leg on anything in the yard-fence, chairs, whatever.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
If you’d seen my dog with a fully exposed erection, masturbating on the sofa, I think you would feel differently. This occurred OFTEN. I could not have children in the house. Yes, I tried training him and distracting and it did not work. Once he was neutered, the behavior ceased but he continued to lift his leg on anything in the yard-fence, chairs, whatever.
Nah, that doesn't bother me. LOL I'm pretty liberal about human and animal sexuality, I suppose.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
My toy was fixed at 18 months and is now 4. He used to mark in the house and soil his crate before I got him at 17 months but I managed to train him.

He will try to jump a friendly female if he meets one. He will stop right away if I tell him to. He is super anxious so if his routine is changed, he will lift his leg in the house (not for marking but as an anxious behavior. An anxious female would do the same, so it has nothing to do with sex).

He doesn’t get his legs when he pees.

I do think females are easier on hygiene aspect and some behavioral aspects. Sometimes, not always. You can’t generalize.

But since you’re thinking about it and obviously it bothers you, why not get a female ? Both sex make equally good pets.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
My 1st poodle was a male and I had no marking, humping or anything and he was intact. A lot has to do with what you allow. Personally I would not want a dog to embarrasse me in front of someone even if it is normal, and would correct them. They learn

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Mish.
Sage is 3.5 years. No marking inside anywhere (once at my friend’s house but it was such a weird situation and he was very excited and it was summer and all the doors were open and I still don’t know why!) If I let him he will mark everything outside, especially if he’s off leash. He marks a ton. But not if I don’t let him. It’s easy to get him to come, or do something else, and on leash he doesn’t.
Very minor humping period that went away when he was neutered but shows itself maybe once every 6 months or so? In specific situations i.e. a female in heat off-leash in a dog park (yes, seriously! All the males were neutered but the poor thing was followed around.) Sometimes he tries to mount his best friend, a female, but it is very obviously when she is not paying him attention. He doesn’t get far, just starts mounting until she gives him attention. He loves to play but she ignores him if there is a ball or a stick to be had:)
He’s very cuddly and sweet!! I just love him.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
My standard is only 9 months. So far no problems. He does 1 long pee on walks. I do not allow a lot of sniffing around and keep him fairly focused on me. He doesn't even lift his leg yet. He will be neutered sometime in the next 6 months. Our boxer is 4 and was neutered at 12 months, has never lifted his leg, takes only 1 pee on walks and has no bad behaviors.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have always prefered male dogs. I've had females and not to put too fine of a point on it, well, they are bitches, lol. Plus with males I don't have to worry about that twice a year isolation problem, not to mention the blood and the extra expense of a far more complicated operation than neutering a male. I loss a beautiful dob from being spay, it's rare, but it does happen.

I have had neutered and intact males and I don't find too much of a difference between them when it comes to male behaviors. My Eustace, as per county pound rules, is neutered, but he was older when he was done, already lifting his leg and he has never lifted his leg in the house, every tree on a walk, but never in the house and has never tried to hump anything.

My late Chewie was one of those neuter them at 8 weeks old generation that was going on in the 90's. He never learned to lift his leg, always had what I call pee pee legs, never developed much in the way of a penis, but still humped, humped more than any intact male I ever had.

I think the main reason to neuter or not neuter depends on if you are certain you have full control of your dog. In the case of both males and females, are you sure your fence is strong enough and tall enough to keep them in or other dogs out. On walks, do you have full control? Able to keep them out of situations that might result in an unwanted breeding?

I'm still up in the air about if I'm going to neuter Roland, he's never going to be used for breeding, he not good enough for that. But for now, he's only 10 months old and I want him to develop more before I decide. If I don't neuter him, I know he'll also never have the chance to father a litter unless someone is stupid enough to bring a bitch in season to the dog park, unfortunately not out of the question.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sam is intact and I have no problems with him. He has never lifted his leg in the house. He does sometimes expose his "lipstick" but I don't mind. At the dog park he will very occasionally try to mount another dog. The most recent object of his affection is a male Lagotto Romagnolo (a brown dog that looks kind of like a poodle). The owner and I are working with some success on allowing Sam off lead around this dog. At first Sam was mounting him every chance he would get, and then Cammie would mount Sam to let him know what she thought of his behavior! But it is better now, and problems like this are rare. I actually had more problems with Bob mounting other dogs than I have had with Sam, and Bob was neutered at 6 months. (Bob liked to hump golden retrievers, male or female.)

The one problem that I would really worry about with males is peeing on their front legs. Sam doesn't do this, but I have a friend who has a poodle who pees on his front legs every single time. He is a cream dog, and the back of his front legs are stained by the urine. Interestingly, the sire of my friend's dog does the same thing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess urinating on the front legs can be controlled. How do you keep the legs clean? It would be inconenient to put some sort of shields on every time the dog was walked. Obviously, th dog would be getting bathed but in the interim?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sorry, I meant urinating on the legs cannot be controlled.
Boy, there have been threads on this topic before. Show dogs will wear protective coverings because the hair must be clean. It’s quick to wash just the front legs, if need be. My dog’s hair is kept short so doesn’t have the time to stain.

I agree that it’s something to consider. I was dealing with this for quite a while (and while my dog was still showing) before my dog’s breeder brought a male into her home and had to deal with the issue herself. More of an issue than staining might be if one allows their dog up on furniture. I would want clean legs every night if my dog slept in my bed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. I've never heard of such things! I've had two intact, male SPOOS and I took the advice of my naturopathic veterinarian: DO NOT neuter unless they display behavior, which they never have. If I had a dog that behaved like you've described I would neuter him immediately.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts