Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're picking up puppy friday. G2 has switched pretty much to wet food vs dry. We free feed our dogs so she also had dry kibble down but she gets wet food in the am and evening. So this is where my question for puppy comes in. she gets both wet and dry with her breeder, but they're different brands so do I switch the wet food over like I do the kibble by adding little amounts into the brand she's used to? do I focus on switching the kibble only first? I've always usually waited for a few months before allowing wet food as my other breeders never incorporated it, but with her already used to it and with G2's schedule I'd like to eventually do the same schedule with puppy. 2x a day wet and free feed kibble. but I'm just not sure how to work the puppy's feeding at first to also incorporate the wet foods. I also usually don't free feed my pups for the first few weeks until I know they aren't over eaters, meaning i watch to make sure they aren't just engulfing the food.
Maybe some one could give an example of a schedule and how to switch.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I probably would just keep the puppy on whats its used too for a few weeks maybe a month, then gradually switch out the wet food to what you use and if that goes well, then gradually switch the dry until you reach where both dogs eat the same.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It is recommended to switch slowly with kibble because different foods can have different grains in them, and that is what causes problems. Since I rarely am even given the food my fosters have been on, I can't slowly change. But, since I feed raw, there are no transition problems of moving from one grain to another. I would feed her the usual for a couple of days just because she is going through a lot of changes right now, then give her what you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts