Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my puppy moistened food...

He is 8 weeks now. When can he start eating it dry?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
When we got moose ~12 weeks we were feeding him dry. We were told he was eating dry prior too. We feed him Blue Buffalo Puppy, and rarely do we mix in the moist stuff. He gets snacks around the house but he does not require moist food.

·
Registered
163 Posts
He can already eat dry, no problem. There is nothing wrong about moistening the food though. (I'm talking dry + water here) My dog was eating too rapidly for awhile and would occasionally get too excited and throw it up. My vet recommended that I moisten the food with water until he was a few months old. Other than that, he has been on dry since he was young.

Just make sure it is good food :) Need brand recommendations?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thats a good choice, I've considered it before.

I would go ahead and just give him the dry and make sure he is eating normally. If he isn't, you might want to keep adding water and try again a little later. It isn't hurting him either way :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
He can already eat dry, no problem. There is nothing wrong about moistening the food though. (I'm talking dry + water here) My dog was eating too rapidly for awhile and would occasionally get too excited and throw it up. My vet recommended that I moisten the food with water until he was a few months old. Other than that, he has been on dry since he was young.

Just make sure it is good food :) Need brand recommendations?
Hello,

I have a new standard poodle puppy and I can use some brand recommendations. Thanks in advance for your time and info.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ok.... that is an old post.

I think a good rule of thumb is that a food with a named protein source as the 1st ingredient is better than a food with grain or an ambiguous protein listed 1st.

So....

Chicken, lamb, salmon = better
Rice, wheat, corn, chicken meal = not as good

The food I feed actually has sweet potato listed as 1st ingredient, but it works for my dogs.

Many dogs of all breeds don't tolerate grain well so a grain free kibble may be best for your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts