Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like 4 days ago we have notice that Pompadour my 4 month toy poodle pup didn't want to eat all his kibble. he only eat like the half of the ration, I was wondering why beacause he is always hungry and wants to eat always.

I give him a 1 1/2 cup of pro plan dived in 3 meals.

and 1 raw chicken nugget every two days , and 2 spoons of tuna 1 time in a week , I give the raw insted of one meal

Rencently I found out that my father was given him canned weiners and leftovers from his meals :doh:

My Mom confessed that she was also given him leftovers and my mom loves to eat tamales and pork. :mad:

We took him to the vet for his second ear mites treatement (more info here Ear mites! )

The last time he went to the vet his weight was 4 pounds, now he is 8 pounds he has doubled his weight in less than 20 days :yikes:

The vet told us that he has gained too much weight and was surprised on how fast he gained them.

So he needs to go in a diet, but he dosen't want to eat his food again he goes crazy when someone is eating and stars to cry and beg, now that he eated human food he only wants to eat that.

Today insted of eating all his food, he wanted to rip the bags of trash that had an empy package of chinese food.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Nothing wrong with the pork (raw) or weiners from time to time.

You simply need to start over. :eek:hwell: That is a LOT of weight to gain in a short time.:scared: Give the recommended amount maybe a little less every couple days to at least bring a couple lbs off. NO more table scraps! He will eat when he is hungry enough and realizes his table food days are over. He may even go a full day not taking to his food - be strong, he will come around. Oh and Shame on mom and dad - NOT GOOD ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was shocked!! :dizzy:

The vet was very surprised also he actully scaled him 3 times and used two different scales beacause it was hard to belive at first.

Thanks for the tips Olie , I'm going to do that.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The other thing is, if he's getting all that yummy people food, the Pro Plan isn't going to be very appealing. Once you get mom and dad to stop feeding him table food, try mixing a little wet dog food with the dry.

A cup and a half also seems like a lot of food for a 4 month old toy, even when split into three meals. If you do add canned food, cut back a little on the kibble.

Good luck with your puppy (and your parents!)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Marian, I'm going to try that.

How mush dry food would be ok?

I'm worried about him, he is getting desperate when he sees a person eating :(

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would eliminate the pro-plan too. Pitch it, its no good whatsoever.

Go on that thread about gluten free diets on here and choose one off that llist....there are tons of great foods.

Soften his TWO Tablespoons of kibble with hot water and mix well with his tuna or chicken or whatever....make it hard to pick apart. Do this when you know he is good and hungry, not 2 hours after a hot dog. My little Gino has to eat his cooked chicken/broth with ANGEL EYES every day. He really doesnt want the ANGEL EYES but tries to pick out a piece of chicken with 2 front teeth and his lips curled back....its hysterical watching him go thru this every single morning. But I want him to eat it and he gets 2 tablespoons of food with this tiny sprinkle of powder mixed in.

But in order to get him to finish it, I get down on the floor and put the food in my fingers and hand feed him. In order to get Pompie to eat better kibble, you probably ought to try the hand feeding. He has not trouble eating a weenie from someones hand

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You'll just have to ignore his big puppy eyes and be strong.

Check with your vet for a recommendation about how much to feed him, especially to help him get back on track with his weight. Little dogs don't eat very much at all. My mini weighs 12 lbs and sometimes he only eats about a cup of food a day, especially in hot weather.

Added: Actually, I'm not sure he even eats a whole cup. But anyway, take partial2poodles' advice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks partial2 and Marian.

Sadly where I live (Honduras in central america) the pro plan and eukanuba is the best thing you can get. :smow: the other foods are bad quality like benefull, dog chow, pedigree, etc.

Here they don't sell anything that dosen't have grains, you can't get blue buffalo, canidae, totw, diamond and the higher grade food.

That's why I'm adding the raw.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!!. :)

I reduced his kibble and mixed it wit a bit of water and canned dog food, he nows eats it, I'm reducing the canned and the water so he will be back on dry.

My parents stopped feeding him the leftovers, but he haven't spot begging

The vet says he is mush better now, he lost 2 pounds , his weight is 6 pounds now.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Great Update!!

I still like the idea of adding Raw at one meal or every so often. Can't get much better quality than that:)

And it may take a bit to get the begging habit gone, but thankfully you are on the right track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts