Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My soon to be 9 yo toy poodle that is very over weight. She has been on Authority Senior Small Bites for the last year and a half almost 2 years. Since my baby was born she has been cleaning up after him and when I put her away to keep her from eating his food she acts like she is dying! She gets 1/3 cup of food 2x a day and she acts like she is just starving.... I've looked at the makeup of the food, and it's good food. But I'm needing something to help her loose weight. I try walks. But she just cant go for very long.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
How much does she way ? 2/3 cup per day seems like a lot.

My two toys (6 pounds and 7 pounds) get each about 1/4 cup kibble per day + 1 tbs of canned food + 1 very small slice of dried duck + 1 treat per day. This is regular food, not diet.

It doesn’t matter the brand you give, if you feed in excessive amounts, she will always be overweight. You need to feed the right amount and ignore the begging. And increase exercise if you can, even if just throwing the ball.

Divide her food in 3 meals, if it’s going to help. And then let her look pitiful...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was 11 lbs at her last years appointment. She is heavier now I'm sure.

I'm following actually feeding less then the bag reccomends. Should I continue to put her away when my son is eating? She just cries and cries and cries. It breaks my heart

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Looking at the label for that food, it sounds like you're feeding the correct amount for her weight. Actually a little under.

I'd keep some plain white chicken, little bits of carrot, etc. on hand to offer as occasional treats, but aside from that avoid all extras.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sounds like she's dying." Maybe just a training issue? If a dog's never been taught a good leave-it command, she's not going to understand why tasty morsels on the ground are off-limits. Same goes for her getting upset when she's "put away." Has she been taught to go to a place and stay there? You might just need to go back to some basics on training so she understands what's expected of her. Just be gentle, patient, and consistent.

One more thing: Looking at that food, there are multiple corn ingredients. Corn isn't easily digested by dogs and could absolutely leave her feeling hungry. I'd consider shifting to a higher quality food. She's so small, the cost difference will be negligible.

I've recently discovered Farmina and it's excellent.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Oh shoot. I read that as 9 lbs. If she's 11 lbs, you're definitely feeding under. How much does the vet feel she should lose? I'd immediately start feeding her the recommended amount for her current weight, and then slowly transition down to the serving size for her ideal weight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took ownership of her about 2.5 years ago. She was a breeding dog and lived in a kennel her whole life.
When my uncle took over for his dad after he passed away he revamped everything and he retired her and gave her to me for my birthday. She has learned sit. Stay and lay down. She has always responded to come and she knows when she is in trouble but then attacks the dropped food as if she was a starved wolf.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
She was 11 lbs at her last years appointment. She is heavier now I'm sure.

I'm following actually feeding less then the bag reccomends. Should I continue to put her away when my son is eating? She just cries and cries and cries. It breaks my heart
As others said, find her a better quality food. As for eating your son‘s food, you need to make a stop to it. Putting her away Is not teaching her anything. You can take this opportunity to teach her to stay on a mat until he is finished eating and you have cleaned the floors. She can stay put until you release her with a command of your choice. It will be good for her.

Instead of seeing it as depriving her of something she wants, think of it as paving the way for a healthy old age. Obesity leads to painful joints, heart problems, diabetes and so forth. No dog should have to go through this and it is our duty and responsibility as humans to make sure it doesn’t happen to our beloved pets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well I’ll play devils advocate here - my 50lb dog eats ProPlan and he is not depraved or acts hungry. He’s eaten all sorts of food and actually was able to get over bilious vomiting syndrome he struggled with his entire life after switching. Ground corn has a lot of essential amino acids, and he poops 50% less since switching so I’d think he is digesting more of it. Not to say switching to something else of any kind won’t help, but it’s just my 2 cents.

I think it is definitely training for her, she does not know how to control her impulses. She cries in frustration because she has never practiced this in her whole life. But you can help her learn as others have said. If you lookup “dog impulse control exercises” on YouTube it may give you some ideas. Her health depends on maintaining an appropriate weight - most toys don’t go over 8-10lbs (dependent on height). It may seem mean to have her wait while you clean the floor but it will give you more happy times with her in the long run.

Overweight dogs do not “like” exercising as it is obviously difficult when you’re overweight - humans too! But working up her endurance you will see a change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts