Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh boy......how much does a mini 5 mo old puppy eat?

He seems to just nibble. this dog has some major eating issues...lol.

Ive tried everything.

Maybe he is eating normal for a puppy, I dont know. Every once in a while, he will eat the whole dish, but its rare.

should I worry?

Should I switch his food?

we have only given him kibble, thats all he knows. any ideas?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
oh boy......how much does a mini 5 mo old puppy eat?

He seems to just nibble. this dog has some major eating issues...lol.

Ive tried everything.

Maybe he is eating normal for a puppy, I dont know. Every once in a while, he will eat the whole dish, but its rare.

should I worry?

Should I switch his food?

we have only given him kibble, thats all he knows. any ideas?
Strict schedules from my experience. I have 2 finiky eaters, and I did change their food as well and its good kibble so they do eat less. They are a year old now and I still have issues from time to time. For a while I mixed Cesar in with the kibble ONLY in the AM because I was concerned them going until evening to eat. They are slowly catching, I sometimes Have to hand feed playfully for them to eat! But I do this for a period of time and then I put the food up.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
What kibble is your puppy currently eating? How much does he get? Is he on the feeding schedule? If not, put him on one. If he is finicky, I would go with twice a day, leave it out for 15 to 20 minutes then pick it up and don't feed till the next time.

Good luck,

·
Registered
897 Posts
Fonzie was a picky eater until I starting switching to Blue Buffalo Puppy. Now he's a happy eater. I currently feed him 1/2 c. twice daily, which I'll adjust as needed, depending on his body weight/feel of his ribs, etc. He gets lots of excercise running around with my boxer, Duke out in the yard. He came to me eating Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33, which has a lot of junk in it: corn, fat, too high in protein (33% -what is the company thinking in a puppy food?).

I'm still in the process of changing him over, but so far, so good. He goes through spurts of not eating the whole bowl, but so do children. They eat when they're hungry. I stick to a schedule. If he doesn't finish the food in the morning by the time I leave for work, I put it up. At night, I give him about an hour before putting it up.

Try sprinkling just a little water over the food (don't soak it) and mixing it. That brings out the aroma of the food, which entices them to eat it. I have to do this with both Fonzie and my boxer, Duke. My lab? He'll eat anything that doesn't eat him first - lol!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Try sprinkling just a little water over the food (don't soak it) and mixing it. That brings out the aroma of the food, which entices them to eat it.

Good tip! By adding a little water and letting the food swell a little helps minimize any bloating issues and their hunger should increase byt next scheduled feeding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What we have done is while Teddy is on a strict morning and evening schedule, we leave whatever he doesn't eat in the morning out for his "lunch" and then when he's hungry he can eat. He will only eat though when the family is at the table eating. It's really cute because he will bring the food to the table and sit next to me while he eats. I love my dog! haha But I think that giving him an option might help a little....?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Mine was like that at first but he's eating like a good boy now. I've noticed that if I go longer in between the times he eats he's more hungry and will eat more. So he's eating all of his 1 cup of food per day now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My mini is about 4 months old now, and I went from Iams Smart Puppy, to Blue Buffalo Puppy, to Royal Canin Puppy 33.

My dog used to like Iams until I put him on Blue Buffalo (which he loved) - but it made his stools extremely soft and quite possibly difficult for house training.

So I went back to Iams, and then found Royal Canin - which he also absolutely loves. So when I tried to put him back on Iams, he refused to eat his food. :wacko: so I guess Royal Canin is a pretty good tasting food that keeps his stools firm :) happy puppy and happy owner!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I still dont think i would worry about him. As long as you cannot SEE his ribs, his spine or his hip bones then he is ok. He obviously knows how much he needs. Again, it is healthier for a dog (or anyone) to be more lean then too heavy. He will most likely put on weight once he is out of his puppy stage. Poodles are naturally lean dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts