Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Lacey is 7 months old today and I have been having a food issue with her for quite some time, she just isn't eating enough. She isn't skinny by any means, but she could stand to gain a bit more.

So, she has been eating Taste of the wild for sometime now and doing well with it other then not eating enough. She is getting the fish flavor - I thought that she just wasn't into the fish, so I tried the Bison one, however that gave her terrible gas. She did seem to like it better though. I then decided to try her on Innova as I am a huge Innova fan and she just loved it, however it did not agree with her at all, she had terrible runs. She is obviously back on the fish TOTW and not eating much.

I was thinking about maybe switching her food to a meat based food that she might like better or try adding some meat flavor can food in with her dry. Right now she get the food wet with some cheese and will still leave a good bit in there. She is right on the base line of a big toy and a small mini - I feed her twice a day 1/2 cup each meal. She will also get a kong treat which has some dry food and peanut butter. The bag says she should be getting 1 1/8 per day and she is probably getting more like 3/4 a day.

Any suggestions??? All of my other poodles have been pigs and will eat anything and everything you feed them in about 30 seconds. She is either very picky or just not liking the food or possibly eating enough??? I don't know. Any thoughts, suggestions recommendations would be great!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If she likes fish and does well on it, try Orijen 6 Fresh Fish formula. It's excellent.
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/6fishdog.aspx

If you want to try red meat, Orijen has a new meat formula that is locally sorced.
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/6fishdog.aspx

Also, Evo (by Innova) also makes great red meat and fish formulas. The nice thing is that it comes in small bites.

http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1491
http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1699

I would also add some canned or left over home cooked food to her kibble. I alway supplement kibble with either my home cooked, raw or occasionally canned food. I also feed one of their meals raw meaty bones. It keeps their teeth clean and they love it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm feeding Flash Taste of the Wild, and one of the first things I noticed is that he eats much less than the recommended daily dose. Flash is a 26" tall, 52 lb Standard, and he's eating an average of 1 1/4 cups per day. Note that Flash is also highly active. So I wouldn't worry too much about what the bag says, just pay attention to your dog.

Flash stayed quite skinny until he was a year and a half. I was very worried about him, but now he's finally put on a couple pounds and balanced out his eating habits. If you just wait, you might see good results as she matures.
Also, is this your first poodle? I've noticed that poodles run MUCH skinnier than your average dog-- mine was actually once mistaken for a greyhound!

I rarely recommend free-feeding dogs, but in this case, I would leave the food bowl out and let Lacey self-regulate. She may not eat much, but she'll eat what feels right to her. Even skipPing a meal every now and again is quite normal behavior for some dogs; it's part of their lupine heritage (wolves, after all, are designed to fast and gorge alternately).

·
Registered
187 Posts
One more thing I forgot:
I bought Flash the Yuppy Puppy Treat Machine. It's literally a gumball machine designed to hold dog food. It took a few days to teach Flash how to use it, but he absolutely LOVES it!! Now eating his food feels like a game to him. Recently his machine broke (it was empty and he acted out his frustration on it, lol) and he's back to his old picky habits. We'll be getting a replacement machine ASAP.
Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm feeding Origens now... also a great food is Horizon (grain free/no potato) if you can locate it. I'd use that over EVO. (personally just know too many standards that got junky ears or runny eyes with it... just odd.)

Being you have a small breed... Solid Gold makes a nice kibble, Wee bites, I think it's called. (Buffalo and Salmon, she'll probably like it.) Or grain free, Barking at the Moon... beef and salmon.

Another thought, if you don't mind grains... Artemis Small Breed... it's the #1 seller in our store for small breed dogs IF they are not going grain free.

It's good she is not under weight though!
Variety is really good and important. So she's telling you she wants something different. Smart girl! :)
And gas wise... they'll get over it. Don't you eat things that might make you gassy too? lol... which reminds me... my friend blogged about dog poop today. It's so funny!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies ... what really worries me about her eating is some days she will eat really well and then other days she will just have a bite or two and be done and that definitely can't be enough. As far as free feeding her, I pretty much do that - I give her, her 2 meals which has water and cheese in it and any other time I have a bowl of dry down and sometimes will add cheese to it also, however she usually never eats from the dry bowl.

As far as the different foods - I am happy to feed either grain free or grains. She eats the fish okay, but seems to be eat much more of the meat food.

I think someone asked if she was my first poodle, no she is not my first - I grew up with poodles since I was 5 years old and always had poodles, they are the best!!!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts