Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a spoo in nine days (not like I am counting down or anything :) )

I was thinking of feeding him/her Canidae All Life Stages food. The chicken variety. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or recommendations. I do not want to feed raw or break the bank on really expensive food. Dry food is what I'll feed, but I do want a decent food. Just a less expensive decent food and I know the Canidae food comes in a monster 44lb bag that I can feed my lab AND the spoo.

·
Registered
754 Posts
dogfoodanalysis.com is a great resource for choosing a dog food. I feed Taste of the Wild High Prarie. I am considering Fromm 4 Star Surf & Turf though based on the reviews and good comments here.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
I would start with whatever he is used to, and change over gradually. That will probably mean buying a bag, depending on how generous the breeder is with samples. There is a lot to be said for getting your puppy used to a range of different foods - it can be very awkward if you are stuck with a hungry dog, and no way of buying the one and only food he will eat - let alone the problems that arise if the manufacturer changes the recipe. I found this site very useful: DogAware.com: Diet Options for Dogs as well as the one mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I USED TO FEED Canidae regularly...no more. It has seriously gone down hill from the good old days. Do NOT look at it as breaking the bank when you feed ultra high premium food....Look at it as money in the bank that is NOT going toward vet bills. I feed 7 dogs and other people on here also have a low regard for cheap dog food. Check out the thread called GLUTEN FREE DOG FOOD. Pick one and see how the lab likes it.....puppies adapt to anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts