Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asta and I are having a food fight - he is a very picky eater so I keep him on the same food. I buy small resealable bags and so the kibble is fresh. Now for 2 days he hasn't eaten his food, even with tempting toppers. He wants ROAST CHICKEN! We had some last week and I picked off the back little nibbles for him and now he thinks he needs ROAST CHICKEN every day. So today will be the 3rd attempt at his regular diet - well we shall see - he's got to eat sometime!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well, here's the problem with any advice from me... I LOVE you and Asta and have loved reading all of your threads for years. So if Asta wants some cooked chicken, will he eat it mixed with his kibble? Maybe cook it once a week and mix it in really well every day?
Right now it is so hot here that Dewey will only eat supper not breakfast no matter what I give him. Predicted to be 100 F tomorrow.
Sorry no real advice just saying hope you both are doing well and that you get past this!

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course he will eat his kibble if chicken is in it - but I don't want to be cooking chicken just for him. He needs to learn to be a dog again - no goodies every night. I love him dearly but this is just another thing to learn. Sometimes I have to coax him -"Eat Your Dinner" but even that's not working. Tonight he refused supper again.

Storm - I am so sorry it is so hot. We are also dealing with heat plus humidity - The temperature a day or so ago was 92% but the Feels Like temperature was 101%
Thanks for all the loving - so nice of you. I enjoy learning on PF and making such good friends - you are one of them...thank you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Suzanne Clothier's remedy for a dog who won't eat is to put the bowl down and if the dog does not eat within 5-10 minutes, take the bowl up. Next meal time put half of the dog's regular amount down. If the dog eats, next meal is normal amount. If he doesn't eat, take the bowl up and next meal put down half of what was in the bowl (one quarter of regular amount). Keep on halving the amount until the dog eats everything in the bowl. Once the dog eats the reduced amount, next meal is double the amount that he ate this time, and again if he eats that the next meal is doubled, and if he doesn't it is halved. It's supposed to teach the dog that food is a valuable resource, and if he doesn't eat it he's going to get hungry.

I did this several times with Zephyr when he was being a picky puppy, and it did work for a while, but it seemed every time we got back to his normal amount he just went back to being picky again. I know that sounds like his normal amount was too much for him, but he was very thin and I felt he needed to gain weight, so I don't think that was the case. I finally gave up and gave him one meal a day of raw meat and veggie mixture and left a bowl of kibble out for him to free feed. That was what he wanted, he would eat kibble but only on his own schedule, he likes to eat at night. He usually ate the raw mix as soon as I put it down, once in a while he would turn his nose up and I would put it back in the fridge until the next day. Now at 3yo he is eating kibble free feed without the daily raw meal and is at a very nice weight.

He doesn't really have a "normal amount", sometimes a bowl will last him several days and sometimes I fill it twice in a day.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reraven - thanks for the Clothier tip - I'm gonna try it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well, I have to admit to totally spoiling my dogs. After dealing with Maizie getting empty stomach vomiting ALL the time in the morning due to not eating anything offered, I discovered the remedy--chicken and rice or hamburger and rice for breakfast, freshly cooked every couple of days. Their other two meals of the day are commercial dog foods (Canidae and Hills I/D). It's a little more time consuming and expensive, but they're my kids/best friends, so it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asta is my bestest buddy, MF - so if the Clothier suggestion doesn't work maybe I'll just get used to indulging him. As I have learned it is never Asta's fault, it is my fault. Maizie and Frosty deserve only the best. BTW I broke down and gave him a boiled egg tonight- another one of his favorites.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh stupid me

Next time I go to the grocery I will go to their Deli section - they have ROAST CHICKEN - I'll have it sliced and it will be easy to mix in with the kibble. And saves me the bother of having to cook for him. Good boy Asta, you made me put on my thinking cap.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Mine is also a picky eater and is a slow ever who chews every morsel. LOL He is lying asleep next to me with his bowl of food. Hasn't touched it. I add a tablespoon of propane canned to each meal and mix it well. It sits. Sometimes I will throw a few toppers of stella & chewy on as well, that may get him eating. Now if my daughter walks in the room, he will jump ump run to me go to her for a few pets then start eating. I think he may have n idea that she will eat his food. LOL I don't worry about it anymore, when I am through in this room, I will pick up his food and refrigerate it for later. There are days he just skips eating.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad to see there are other picky eaters on here. When we got Jessie on Sunday, her previous owner warned us this is a problem for her too. The last thing I ever expected was to get a dog that you had to convince to eat! But that's Jessie for you. She used to get a little bit of kibble in a freshly prepared soup of chicken, carrots, celery and sweet potato. Her favorite treat is steak, and apparently got cheese and other people food too. Now I'm all about good food for her, but at the same time we need to be able to travel with Jessie and sometimes we won't have access to a kitchen. If we ever need to board her, we need her to eat! So we've been working on getting her to eat the Royal Canin poodle kibble. She's been eating about half the amount she should (according to the bag), split between 2 meals. Yesterday I got her to eat some during training as treats too. But it takes convincing. We work at it for 15 minutes each meal and then the remaining food goes away until the next mealtime. I'm hoping once she fully adjusts to her new surroundings it will be easier for her. I would free feed her, except we have 2 cats and one of them seems very interested in poodle food ;) I figure if she's still not eating enough after a week, I'll try mixing in some wet/canned dog food as well. I've already tried moistening the kibble and that doesn't seem to make her any more interested.

·
Premium Member
23,152 Posts
I think you have two choices if you want to get back to a solely kibble diet. First is the Susan Clothier tough love approach. The second option is to free feed.

On the other hand a bit of chicken mixed in is just fine too. Just make sure he eats all of the kibble required to keep Asta's diet nutritionally balanced.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hahah, Asta's Mom, sadly I am the opposite of you. I spend a LOT of time cooking for my dogs. Mostly I cook for my older one. She has always been a picky eater and has only gotten worse as she gets older. I have a hard time keeping weight on her and at 11 1/2 if she wants home cooked food for as long as she is with me, so be it. She's come through for me so many times I owe it to her LOL. She mostly eats her kibble as treats during the day - she just won't eat it at mealtimes anymore, I've tried so many different brands. But that's fine. I cook up large quantities of whatever meat is on sale - always chicken thighs for the taurine, but for example, last week london broil was on sale here for $2.49 lb. That's way cheaper than chopemeat. I bought pounds and pounds and cooked it all up and froze it. So I have steak add ins for some time to come. I always have some pasta and sweet potatoes cooked up for them. They get sardines frequently. When on sale at the supermarket they are $1 a can. I also keep what I call "pupcakes" frozen and defrost as needed. I take 3 lbs. of ground turkey or meatloaf mix, whatever is on sale when I am making. Then I add in a couple eggs, wheat germ, whole oats, bread crumbs, chopped spinach and string beans and mix well. I form them into large meatballs that I bake at 350 in cupcake/muffin tins for 20-25 mins. I get 24 out of this mixture. Freeze those and defrost as needed.

My older girl will eat anything and loves her kibble, so I give her much less "home cooked" food than the other, but she still benefits LOL. Older girl gets senior vitamins as well and they both get joint supplements.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Catherine - I really don't need to add that much chicken at all and he will eat his kibble. You and Eclipse are great to cook for your dogs. My husband and myself are gluten free so we don't keep stuff like bread crumbs, wheat germ, etc and our pasta is wheat free, I don't really want to keep wheat based products in the house. Also have limited freezer room so it really isn't practical to make big batches of food and freeze them.

I will try a small amount of deli chicken to his kibble tonight and report back - but think it will be a winner. After 3 days I just have to get something in him.

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
I swear by toppers. No trouble at all, a dab of yogurt or cottage cheese, a few pieces of rotisserie chicken,. It just keeps the same old kibble interesting and was a tactic my breeder suggested. That rotisserie chicken is practically a staple for us when it’s too hot to cook, which is everyday in Texas:)

·
Premium Member
23,152 Posts
For us this was a health issues thing to switch to cooking and I had to buy a freezer to make it work. It is a project and I would happily not do it if I didn't see health benefits.

I also understand wanting to keep gluten containing foods out of your home! I little bit of chicken sounds just right for your situation then.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I will try a small amount of deli chicken to his kibble tonight and report back - but think it will be a winner. After 3 days I just have to get something in him.
I used deli meat as a topper for Jasper (before we finally had to switch him to canned) and it really improved his interest in his food. Also, adding a little water to the food to create a gravy and sometimes heating it up helped as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Believe me, if all it took was toppers, I'd be right on it. Until you have had a hardcore picky eater you have no idea how stubborn they can be. She would either eat the toppers out and leave the kibble or just turn her nose up at the whole thing and walk away. And I can't afford to have her not eat for days, which she will absolutely do. She would eat kibble as her meals when younger, always with a little something in it, but steadfastly refuses now. She just had a complete senior panel done a couple months ago and no issues showed up. She's just super stubborn in her old age and she's earned me catering to her haha....I do count my blessings with the younger one who will eat whatever you feed her with gusto LOL....

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MF, shows no sign of sickness whatsoever. Still plays, still runs, will take a treat, eat a boiled egg, cuddles me - none of which he will do if he is sick. Then he just kinda mopes around. Just seems like he is off his regular food,a though he is staying hydrated. Loves his ice as well as water - good in this hot climate. Knowing my boy, the deli chicken will probably do the trick. Good thought tho and if he doesn't eat tonight it is off to the vets.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts