Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two very smart cats. We give them an activity feeder and some canned food, but they still want to ALSO lick Leeroy's dry food. Sigh

No matter what I do, they go for it. It stopped for a while but we added in his newer, yummier smelling dry food this morning and now they're going for it again. When they do this it screws up their digestive system.

So for now I added Leeroy's bowl to a stool... But I know there's a bloat scare with elevated bowls.

I'm not sure what to do. I feed leeroy 3 times a day through Kongs to give him a fun activity but to also make sure he remembers to eat (easier to measure how much he goes through in a day). I also like to keep his bowl available if he's still hungry. He doesn't eat from it often but he does use it, especially as it gets warmer or if he's been more active, etc

... I don't know what to do. I wish they'd invent a dog bowl with a wide brim with slight spikes so cats won't dig into it.

Ironically he has no way to access the cat food. Usually it's the other way around between cats and dogs lol!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Personally I'd have no problem eliminating the free feeding if you're having struggles. I understand it works well for many people, but dogs also do totally fine without free feeding. I bet he'd adjust to not having it available. He may be less likely to eat if he knows it's always available.

·
Super Moderator
1,460 Posts
I feel your pain. My cat is obese, and I can't keep him out of Pogo's food bowl. I've always free fed Pogo. The only solution that really works is to lock Pogo in a room with his food bowl when I go to work or go to bed. He usually naps when the humans aren't doing anything interesting, so he doesn't really mind.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel your pain. My cat is obese, and I can't keep him out of Pogo's food bowl. I've always free fed Pogo. The only solution that really works is to lock Pogo in a room with his food bowl when I go to work or go to bed. He usually naps when the humans aren't doing anything interesting, so he doesn't really mind.
Both of our cats used to be obese. We gave them an activity feeder, and they lost all of their extra weight. But they go after the dog bowl lol.

I am home all day, our cats would pitch a fit if I closed any door on them. I might just have to stop using a free feeding bowl for leeroy. He's been silly about mealtimes. So it might be good to graduate him.

I do worry about not feeding him enough. I try to use the feeding charts on the food bag, I average it out based on his weight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
We have two very smart cats. We give them an activity feeder and some canned food, but they still want to ALSO lick Leeroy's dry food. Sigh

No matter what I do, they go for it. It stopped for a while but we added in his newer, yummier smelling dry food this morning and now they're going for it again. When they do this it screws up their digestive system.

So for now I added Leeroy's bowl to a stool... But I know there's a bloat scare with elevated bowls.

I'm not sure what to do. I feed leeroy 3 times a day through Kongs to give him a fun activity but to also make sure he remembers to eat (easier to measure how much he goes through in a day). I also like to keep his bowl available if he's still hungry. He doesn't eat from it often but he does use it, especially as it gets warmer or if he's been more active, etc

... I don't know what to do. I wish they'd invent a dog bowl with a wide brim with slight spikes so cats won't dig into it.

Ironically he has no way to access the cat food. Usually it's the other way around between cats and dogs lol!

Evil Cats!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Only one of my cats is greedy, but that's with breaking into any food or treats if they're left out(even human food) and his sister's food. We have to lock him up in a kennel while we feed him and his sister.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
My Walter cannot eat anything but his prescription it is deadly for him, sets off pancreatitis or megacolon. So I feel like jail guard watching everyone eat, they get 10 minutes to eat which they do comfortably, or it goes up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think a crate is a good idea.

There is no reason to leave food out, since you are giving him his food in a dispenser. Just put a little more in each Kong. Or, if that isn't viable, feed him his fourth meal in the crate when you are home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts