Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started adding a little of Stella and Chewy's raw patties to Flip's food, to get him more interested in eating.

Has anyone used this stuff before?
:)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can say this: He ate it enthusiastically! :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can say this: He ate it enthusiastically!

Yes, it is excellent... mine seem to love the lamb best, duck second.

You mentioned adding it to his 'food' to help entice him to eat 'it'.
S&C is raw... and it's not to be mixed with cooked food. So if you are talking about mixing it with a dry kibble... best not to.

Giving him the S&C's as, say his first meal of the day, that's fine. If later you want him to eat his kibble, try adding things like Parm Cheese, olive oil, cottage cheese, yogurt, shred some roll, like Natural Balance (or what I prefer... Artemis roll) to help. Of course good canned added to the kibble is always nice. Dogs seem to really love Nupro added to their kibble... you make a gravy with it and toss it in the kibble.

I suppose if you are putting very little of the S&C's on the kibble it shouldn't hurt much... maybe you have small dogs... but my thoughts are for standard poodles.

Feeding can be fun! Sad when a dog's diet is boring. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh gotcha.

I'll give him raw in the morning, kibble at night.

However, he had diarrhea this morning :/

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy loves parmesan cheese. I also use shredded mozzarella to entice him. But I've also learned that sometimes he doesn't show interest in his food because he's just respectfully waiting for the cat to walk away from his bowl so he can eat whatever is left in it. Then he will eat his own food.

It's a weird little practice, but I think it means he still considers the cat higher in the pecking order.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Super... :)
So have you figured out why the loose stool this morning? If they eat too much meat (rich) and it's not balanced with bone (talking raw but even adding more meat to a kibble) it can cause it.
My daughter has a rescue standard who is quite sneaky getting into the trash. She'll have an episode afterward.
Good luck... and canned (unseasoned) pumpkin might help, if you can get him to eat it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Giving him the S&C's as, say his first meal of the day, that's fine. If later you want him to eat his kibble, try adding things like Parm Cheese, olive oil, cottage cheese, yogurt, shred some roll, like Natural Balance (or what I prefer... Artemis roll) to help. Of course good canned added to the kibble is always nice. Dogs seem to really love Nupro added to their kibble... you make a gravy with it and toss it in the kibble.
Is that a vitamin supplement Nupro?I have visited your website and there is alot of good info on dog food. As far as a grain free kibble which do you prefer?

I see you were blessed today. What a day to be thankful for!:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Actually, there is a new food out called Horizon's, which is grain free. Rather than use potato they use pea flour. My dogs really do like it. Harder to find but right now Petfooddirect has a special running, free delivery up to 30 lbs I think it was. If you can't find it local, it's a good time to try it.

Otherwise, Origens ... however expensive... Taste of the Wild is a good price for a grain free... with three varieties. My dogs seem to like everything and they get everything. lol!

I've fed raw for 12 years now... still the best in my book.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the diarrhea was from too much too soon on the raw food. He got a Stella and Chewy patty and a raw buffalo bone. I am thinking the marrow + the patty was too much.
He definitely didn't get into the trash, I am vigilent about that. :)

A raw patty in the AM and Orijen puppy at night is going to be the plan, once he gets over the stomach issue. I know there has been a lot of diarrhea coming in at work lately too, so it could be as simple as a stomach bug.

I gave him a little pumpkin/yogurt mix last night and he seems much better this morning, so we'll be starting over with the Stella and Chewy's tomorrow morning. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've read a lot about not mixing kibble or cooked with raw. I think the main idea is that raw and kibble or cooked get digested at different rates. I can't remember what is quicker and what is slower. But, I am not quite sure how it can hurt the dogs. I love to go out for sushi/sashimi and it's raw food on top of cooked food, never hurt me. I've also mixed in raw ground meat with vitamins on top of the dry kibble in the morning and just raw meaty bones at night and haven't had any problems either with my spoos or my havanese.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Raw gets digested a LOT fast than kibble. The idea is that you don't want the raw to hang around in the gut with the kibble. One of the reasons dogs can eat raw and not get sick from it is that they digest their food a lot faster than we do - not enough time for the bacteria to grow in their gut like it would in ours. I have fed cooked food (treats) not too long after my dogs have eaten their raw and never had a problem. But, that's the general idea.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh, that makes sense.

So I assume it will be alright to give him raw in the morning and let him 'graze' on kibble (Orijen) in the evening (around 6pm)?

He never ate breakfast until I started giving him raw stuff in the morning...now he can't wait for it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yep - that should be fine. I have a couple friends that are not 100% raw and they do a grain free kibble for one meal and raw for the next. It seems to work just fine for them.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:D

I didn't even realize that the company that makes Stella and Chewy's food is literally a few miles away from us.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I didn't even realize that the company that makes Stella and Chewy's food is literally a few miles away from us
----
Wow... how very fortunate and cool! I met one of the owners, years ago at a pet food retail show, in Vegas. Since then, whoever is stationed at their booth (more family members I believe) have been really neat folks. I think they have an awesome company.

I think you've got a good thing going on with his raw in the morning and the Origen for his second meal. How lucky is this boy?!!! :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't even realize that the company that makes Stella and Chewy's food is literally a few miles away from us
----
Wow... how very fortunate and cool! I met one of the owners, years ago at a pet food retail show, in Vegas. Since then, whoever is stationed at their booth (more family members I believe) have been really neat folks. I think they have an awesome company.

I think you've got a good thing going on with his raw in the morning and the Origen for his second meal. How lucky is this boy?!!! :)
Only the best for my rescue boy. We love him lots...even if he can be just a tiny little bit naughty sometimes. ;)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That would be awesome, but I would not count on it. A lot of dog food companies are not willing to give tours (you might be from a competing company :wink: ) But I sure hope them do give you a tour!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts