Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quincy is 7 mos and has always had it seems issues with diarrhea. When we got him he was eating purina pro plan sport and his issues were blamed on that. We switched to Health Extensions and things were looking good but now approx every 3 weeks he gets the “squirts”, bad enough to require a week on prescription I/D. Then he’s good and back on the kibble until the next month. Because of the timing of these flare ups my breeder mentioned whip worms as a possibility so we did a course of panacur. Now he’s on I/D, transitioning back to his kibble and I’m thinking we should change his kibble again. Amy suggestions for a quality grain inclusive kibble? Any thoughts on these bouts of diarhea? Even his good stools are somewhat wet and smell really bad.
Poor guys gets no treats, kibble only as treats set it off. He has had blood work and 3 fecal exams

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
(Peggy eats two excellent kibbles - Farmina N&D Ancestral Grains Chicken & Pomegranate and Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Beef Whole Food Clusters. The latter also comes in a grain-inclusive formula, but I don't get too hung up on that stuff. I just make sure she's not consuming excessive amounts of legumes.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(Peggy eats two excellent kibbles - Farmina N&D Ancestral Grains Chicken & Pomegranate and Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Beef Whole Food Clusters. The latter also comes in a grain-inclusive formula, but I don't get too hung up on that stuff. I just make sure she's not consuming excessive amounts of legumes.)
I think the panacur would resolve that if it were the issue? But he’s has several fecal exams. Neither of the foods are available in my area and while I could probably get from chewy, I need to know I can buy locally if I don’t order in time!! Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
I think the panacur would resolve that if it were the issue? But he’s has several fecal exams. Neither of the foods are available in my area and while I could probably get from chewy, I need to know I can buy locally if I don’t order in time!! Thank you!!
I just sign up for autoship. It typically comes with a discount, can be set for up to 8 month intervals, and is easily cancelled at any time.

Alternatively, ask your local independent pet food store to order it for you. It's hard to believe they don't already. Especially Honest Kitchen. Most appreciate input from customers.

As for the panacur, no it will not necessarily treat giardia on its own. And even repeated tests can miss a diagnosis due to giardia's cyclical nature.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Panacur is a dewormer, while giardia is a different parasite and can of worms, so to speak, so unfortunately panacur likely wouldn't kill it. And one of the reasons the tests don't always come up as positive is they look for the cysts shed by the parasite, and those cysts happen to be tiiinnnnyyy. If they did a float test, it's unlikely that they came up.

Giardia in Dogs

The Facts You Need to Know About Giardia in Dogs – American Kennel Club

1 - 10 of 10 Posts