Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm feeding Royal Canin because the clinic carries it...and I thought it was a good food...but...I guess it's not so great.

I don't have the time and I'm too OCD to do BARF or any raw. I know it's the best but...

My question is, what do you all think of Wellness CORE or Orijen?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I read up on Wellness and that's the second choice for me after Blue Buffalo but only because Blue is a little cheaper at Petco than Wellness. I liked Innova or EVO I think it is. Those had no grains and lots of meat for protein.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I feed Orijen and I really like it! I did a lot of research and it came out on top for me! I can't do Raw either, too many kids around :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yeah, Royal Canin isn't the best. All the mini poodle breeders in Ontario seem to feed it, but I think they must be sponsored to do so. The rule of thumb when assessing dog food is to look at the first 5 ingredients. If you're seeing lots of fillers and non "real" foods in there then you want to pass on it. You probably don't want to see fillers like white potatoes or other grains too high up the ingredient list either.

Wellness and Orijen are both good foods. My mom used to feed our PWDs Orijen before she switched to raw I think, and I maybe recall her saying some dogs don't do as well on it as they could, so I'll have to ask her about that. Really though it's all about the individual dog and how they do on a food, so you could try either one of those and see if your dog likes it and thrives on it. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I read somewhere that Wellness Core was the closest you can get to RAW?

Am I wrong on that?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I work at Petco, and I asked the store manager what's the best dog food we carry, he said in this order: Wellness, Solid Gold, then Natural Balance

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Don't worry if you can't feed raw, you have to do what's ultimately works for you. As far as kibble, I would take Orijen over Core any day. I like the following grain free:

Orijen
Evo
Taste of the Wild
Great Life

I find that Wellness is too overpriced for what it is. Also Wellness used to be a lot better before it was bought out by Old Mother Hubbard.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
We feed Enzo Natural Variety but I think my sister wants to switch to Orijen
or Evo now.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank your for all the advice and feedback!!

<3

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Don't worry if you can't feed raw, you have to do what's ultimately works for you. As far as kibble, I would take Orijen over Core any day. I like the following grain free:

Orijen
Evo
Taste of the Wild
Great Life

I find that Wellness is too overpriced for what it is. Also Wellness used to be a lot better before it was bought out by Old Mother Hubbard.
I thought wellness was bought out by eagle pet foods? Which is also overpriced ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts