Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I am flying to pick up my new Standard Poodle puppy this weekend, and am wondering if anybody has any experience with flying in cabin with a Standard Poodle Puppy. I have a Sherpa Soft Carrier, that is good for pets up to 16 lbs. She is about 12 lbs. I’m flying Air Canada, and the flight is direct, about 2 1/2 hrs. If there is any information to wish to share with me about your experiences, or things I should be a aware of beforehand, please let me know :) So excited to pick up my puppy but just want to be as prepared as possible :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome! I’m not too familiar with Canadian airlines, but I’ll try to make some general suggestions. Make sure you get there way earlier than when you normally would. It takes time to go through all the paperwork. Also make sure the dog can fit into the carrier—some dogs are taller than they are heavy, although with a puppy, I wouldn’t be too concerned with this. Something (candy?) for the passengers next to you would be a good idea, too, in case they don’t like dogs.

Whoiscoconut has good suggestions. You can also call if anything listed is confusing, which it often is with airlines and pets.

I’m so glad you can the dog fly in cabin—it will make things a lot easier for you, and less worrying. When we flew across the nation, we got stalled by weather and ended up in the plane flying in circles for about 9 hours instead of the normal time. We had to land and refuel at one point at a different location. The dogs were in cargo. The staff then took over an hour afterwards to bring them out to us. Which brings me to my next question—do you have pee pads for the bottom if something like that happens? Ice is supposedly a good route for water if the puppy needs it.

Congrats on the new puppy, and I hope everything goes well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much for your guidance!! I’ve heard horror stories of people not being allowed to bring their pet in cabin with them even though they met all requirements from the airline, so I wanted to make sure all grounds were covered and I can only hope that I don’t run in to any problems. I really appreciate the tips, I will heed the instructions! Also, so sorry to hear about your experience FloofyPoodle, that had got to be awful! I will make extra pee pads to be safe!! Thank you both again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys :) Just wanted to update you and let you know that things could not have gone smoother with flying our new puppy Maggie home in cabin with me :) She was silent for the entire fire. When I was exiting the plane, a few passengers said “there was a dog on this flight?” They didn’t even know! She was bigger than I expected her to be at 9 1/2 weeks (she was 15 lbs), and very tall, but thankfully she fit in the Sherpa carrier. Upon arrival at the airport, I was so relieved when everybody at the Air Canada check in desk was so enthralled with her that I didn’t have to show any paperwork, and they didn’t even weigh the carrier with her in it to make sure it was under the 22 lbs limit.
Thank you both again for your help :) Had to let you know that everything went wonderfully, and that now we have a beautiful, healthy puppy at home with us. She is a dream puppy. Poodles are just the most exquisite breed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts