Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at going to a dog show back in my home town. I can stay with my Dad and have a quick visit with him. Frontier has the best rates but the crate size is only 8inchs high. Will this be a problem if Nova is 12.5 inchs and around 9lbs?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try searching here on this travel blog:

I hope this resource is helpful. Otherwise, I have no personal experience.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I recently flew Misha on American Airlines and their limit for hard sided crates is 9" tall but they allow larger kennels as long as they will collapse under the seat. I still had significant issues with an agent accepting him on the first leg of the trip, but eventually they let me through. On the way back I had no issue, but my mother also came in with me so that may have helped. He is significantly larger than Nova though. I suspect Nova would be fine in a similar situation. I went with Sturdibag as was recommended by people with similar size minis. It fit under the seat fine, as I knew it would.

I would say though... as I was waiting to get baggage after the flight I was approached by a family who spoke about how frustrated they were because their dog wasn't allowed on their flight due to size limits. They said it was a bichon puppy. I think they may have been flying Frontier but I can't say with 100% certainty.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Was your sturdibag a medium or large?
I actually used the XL because that's what people said was best and it's the only one he can stand in. It's true, Misha can stand in it and turn around. And it does collapse under the seat. But it is more of a headache with the agents. I would probably go with a large for a dog any smaller than Misha. I was just too afraid to get something he obviously couldn't stand up in. But if Frontier has different rules you may be risking it with something that size. I'm not sure. A lot of it depends on the agent you have to deal with. I would recommend getting a black carrier though because they are much less likely to be noticed. That way I could keep the carrier down by my feet rather than under the seat. Makes for a happier dog. I also took a photo of mine fitting under the seat to prove it in case there was any issue on the way back.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought the medium Sherpa bag from petsmart just to see if it was possible for her to fit in something that small. If anyone in the future plans on getting it from petsmart have it priced matched to their online store. It’s $71 in store and $26 online.

Here are the results.

She was going for her first car ride in it.

The size is 17x10wx10.5 high

She is able to turn around and chew her bone. The only concern is that it’s pretty ridged in the front and I’m not sure it will squish to fit in a 8” space. The back will.

So I’m going to buy the large sturdibag and take both to the airport and test them out. . The sturdibag will give her more room width wise but it’s 12 high and has to push down to 8 so I’m not sure if it can. If it can it will be the better choice as it will last longer. Most likely she will grow a bit and if she doesn’t she will still thicken so the 12 inch will give her more room to turn. I do like the top of the Sherpa bag that she can lookout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts