Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the ’fluffy’ ear effect like a show poodle? Do you just grow it out like other hair? When I was first learning to groom Fluffy, I tried shaving his ears down, just to practice, (this was two or three “big” grooms ago), and now his ears look like this:
E1B188E4-BFFE-42CB-9C88-FB07C51C44B3.jpeg

but I’d prefer them to look more like this:

Any tips as I try to groom it? Did I ruin his ears by shaving them? If growing them out is all it takes, how long do I have to wait?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
You will have to wait for his ear hair to grow. Part of this look is determined by how the topknot is clipped.

This is how my minipoo look. I trim her topknot close to where the ears are so I get a definition between ears and topknot. The ear hair has some bevel effect when trimming.

Currently I think the bichon frisée/mushroom topknot which blends the top into the ears is very popular and that’s what you have on Fluffy. Wait till the ears are long enough for the proper balance before you change the topknot.

Reactions: FloofyPoodle

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Fluffy, you look adorable!!

That definitition between the top knot and ears goes a long way. Peggy's still growing out her embarrassing quarantine shavedown, but our groomer was able to start shaping her again today. Her ears are still quite short but they look much fuller now.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
This look also has to do with hair quality. Some dogs will never achieve it (I’m not saying yours won’t). Between my two dogs, maybe Beckie would look like something similar but I doubt Merlin would - just not enough hair and not the right texture.

But no matter what, your baby is cute ! :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will have to wait for his ear hair to grow. Part of this look is determined by how the topknot is clipped.
That definitition between the top knot and ears goes a long way
Okay, good to know.
Wait till the ears are long enough for the proper balance before you change the topknot.
How long do you think I should let them get before it’s properly balanced? Would a little past the neck be good?
This look also has to do with hair quality.
Fluffy did sport a similar clip to the one I want on the ears when he was a couple years younger (a groomer did that) and I wasn’t doing ‘mom haircuts’ on him, so to speak, but does hair quality maybe change over time?
Fluffy, you look adorable!!
But no matter what, your baby is cute ! :)
Fluffy says thank you! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts