Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My senior girls, Flower mytoy poodle or mini mini age 15 and Gracie,11, the pom/chi mix have always had issues, due to Gracie's anxious nature ( is doing much better with the Trazadone and Prozac) but it's that time of year for allergies for Grace (she does take apoquel) so that tips it over for her and she lashes out at poor defenseless toothless Flower, attacking her. Flower doesn't read Gracie's cues, I figured because she doesn't see well or hear well, so a hard situation.

Well it occured to me yesterday, okay it was pointed out to me by my boss that Flower is completely deaf, so wow but I got a glimmer of hope when the opthamologist says yes she has old eyes but if she were a person she could drive the interstate during the day just not during rush hour.

It was then I had an idea, because years ago I put bells on Gracie so that Flower would know she was coming and steer clear, since Flower is deaf now I figured that bells are completely out but an LED collar on Grace might give her a heads up and to steer clear. So I ordered one, to see if it will work.

·
Premium Member
22,760 Posts
I hope that your idea and perhaps Mfmst's suggestion help. That is very clever thinking both of you. I look forward to reading good news.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am hopeful, I am always looking for solutions. The situation is better between Grace and Flower but I am willing to do anything so that they both are happier and safe.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I hope your idea works for you, but if not or for an added alert, mfmst's suggestion is very good. When Gracie went blind I put small scented candles on either side of all the doorways and it worked very well for her.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Gosh I hope that works for Flower! But won't a dog walking around in a flashing collar start bugging you after a while? I have one of those led collars that you can put on continuous flashing/blinking mode and it bothers me after about 10 mins!!! LOL! ( I use it for nighttime walks and I do like it!)

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gosh I hope that works for Flower! But won't a dog walking around in a flashing collar start bugging you after a while? I have one of those led collars that you can put on continuous flashing/blinking mode and it bothers me after about 10 mins!!! LOL! ( I use it for nighttime walks and I do like it!)
The one I picked out has several modes one of them is a steady mode so I'll find out and it's pink.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C39CLRK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brilliant ideas! I wonder if a combination of smells will work even better...what I see with Jupiter is that he is often slow to respond, and isn't alert. To respond to a light, you need to be looking; but a smell could reach Flower without her trying, just breathing will alert her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts