Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
I didn't say limp or limber tail as I have dealt with this in retrievers and this isn't that... It looks like it, but absolutely no pain, no trouble moving, no heat or swelling.

Angus is 14 weeks.
Just got him from backyard breeder so no info there.

I didn't notice it at first as he was very excited, then very docile with the transitions. No injury, no swimming etc.

His tails drops off halfway down. No feel of any crook, subluxation etc. He *can* carry it high when excited and moving etc. so I'm wondering if it's a birth or early injury? Maybe weak ligaments? Or is this something that occurs in poodles (as I'm new to the breed)?

What do you think?
We don't care a bit, and he's not hurting but I'm always curious!
We joked about splinting it LOL and think it will be fabulous with a big pom!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It does look a bit weird. I would guess it was injured or affected by poor nutrition or something. My pup has a tendency to hold his tail pointing a little to the right, but not at an odd angle like this, more like it's got a natural curl toward the right. If you run your fingers over it carefully, can you detect any bone or muscle abnormalities with it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No abnormalities. It could be nutritional as he is very underweight. Backyard breeder was putting down one bowl for 11 pups at 14 weeks, so there were significant differences in size. He's only 11 lbs at 14 weeks (Standard)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Funny I just found where I started to write my boys weights down, at 9 weeks he was 13.9 lbs and at 13 week 26.5 lbs. So I would guess he is fairly small. Have you had him to the vet? Maybe the vet can do a blood panel to be sure he isn't malnourished ? Not sure if they do that or not. His fur looks a little different to me too but that could just be the photos and the fact he hasn't been groomed yet. It does look like limber tail. I do recall reading somewhere about symptoms of poor nutrition also affecting the tail but I can seem to find it. If I do Ill post it. I suppose his tail could have had some trauma when with the byb and may not be exhibiting all the symptoms of limber tail. He is certainly a cute fellow. I am sure you will get him to where he should be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
I'll dig around, too.
We're ok with smaller dog but I'd like him to be healthy, too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel like he is underweight, which has inhibited growth, but he is, after a couple days, full of energy, running and jumping. He needs muscle development but he isn't lethargic.
So I don't think he reaches the level of malnourished (I have rescued starved animals in the past).
The vet checked heart etc. and deworming yielded no worms (byb did deworm). Vet just remarked on weight in passing ?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Very weird, I’ve never seen this. Vitamin deficiency maybe ?

His hair looks very straight, is he 100% poodle ? Did you see the parents ? Not that it matters at this point, I’m just curious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is strange!
I met mama, and I'm fairly confident, given discussion in addition to byb saying dad was poodle (a marriage break up had just occured).

I'm sure hair is affected by poor nutrition, too! I bathed him today and he came up with much more wave & curl, but still a soft fluffy baby coat esp on body.

Does it seem like not all poodle?
I don't know what to expect at this age ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Yes I agree with you, malnourished probably wasn't the best choice of a word but by it I meant he was getting all the nutrition he needed for growth. He does look poodle to me and I bet in no time he will put on some needed weight. The fact that he is lively and energetic to me means he was probably pushed away many times from his feedings by the other pups. He looks like he is super sweet.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
It is strange!
I met mama, and I'm fairly confident, given discussion in addition to byb saying dad was poodle (a marriage break up had just occured).

I'm sure hair is affected by poor nutrition, too! I bathed him today and he came up with much more wave & curl, but still a soft fluffy baby coat esp on body.

Does it seem like not all poodle?
I don't know what to expect at this age ?
He does have a poodle face. You should give him a poodle groom (clean face, feet and tail) so we can see his poodle self better !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!
Yes, I'm going to take him in to the groomer and get him more poodled up! ?

Given that he is parti colored and mom was solid, sire was definitely the parti described by byb.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Vita!
Dead tail etc is super painful (I've had Tollers get it)... it was my first thought, too! But he's not in pain and able to move it freely.
I appreciate you taking time to look it up!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts