Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a flirt pole? I have seen multiple members here mention that they use one with their dogs, and I just cannot seem to figure out what it is.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Javelin loves his flirt pole. Dog flirt poles have been upsized from cat flirt toys I think. The one I have for Javelin has a roughly 3 foot piece of PVC with a wrist loop so the dog can't get control of it unexpectedly. The other end has a piece of bungi cord and at the loose end of the bungi cord a soft toy. You can drag it on the ground and have a puppy chase it as a way to encourage a bit of prey drive and centripetal attraction (more importantly). When the dog is older and jumping around is okay you can wave it in the air for the dog to catch it. You can also encourage tugging on it, so it can be used to teach impulse control by letting them tug then making then drop the toy and let go of it and wait until you again let them play with it.

This is the one I have. Squishy Face Studio Flirt Pole V2 with Fleece Lure Dog Toy (Free Shipping) | Chewy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Diva loves it. We’ve always used one. They are often used to train running dogs to chase the lure. Looks like your fishing for dogs 🎣 🐕😂

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Peggy has this one:

I worry about encouraging her prey drive, but I don't know if prey drive works that way. This does provide a safe outlet, and helps to encourage nice "leave it" manners. The stop/start rhythm is very important.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
While it does activate prey drive remember that for spoos especially there often is high innate prey drive since their working lives are as retrievers. The good thing about the flirt pole is that you can go high drive through tugging and then get it under your control by stopping to do some obedience behavior and then go back up with the toy and bring it back under control........ When Javelin first started being allowed to jump for it he was crazy and hard to collect, but now it is really a great tool for collecting him from a state of high arousal. I fnid it helpful to get him to the brink of over the top and then collected so that he can learn that if he gets over aroused in obedience I have really good odds of collecting him from that state. It could save a Q particularly in open and utility where everything is off leash, lots is at distance and there are things like dumbbells and all sorts of variant retrieves (2 in open, dumbbell on flat and over a jump, scent articles (2X) and the glove retrieve). Given that jumping is something he LLLOOOOVVEESSSS combining that with a dumbbell or a go out, if I wasn't able to keep him from going into orbit at the sight of a dumbbell being thrown or a dog in the next ring jumping for a dumbbell I would have a dog who would jump out of our ring take the dog's dumbbell and come back to my ring with the stolen dumbbell. If you think that sounds impossible one of my friend's previous goldens did exactly that and I think it was Ian Dunbar who told a workshop audience that he had a huskie who jumped through 2 or 3 rings down and back a row of rings to return another dog's dumbbell.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I made mine and it’s lasted so far! The toy is dirty but I can unhook the toy and throw it in the wash or replace it if need be. The ones I looked at here in the pet shops were not durable feeling.
I got a horse whip (because I wanted springiness/flexibility to prevent her getting hurt and I’m not the most coordinated person so it hurts less if I drop it on me LOL), shock cord, shock cord clip, and then a toy). I used this toy from squishy face:

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
Mine has a heavy duty wide roll of leather as the lure. Buck is so enthusiastic about it he will down stay in anticipation, until I bring it inside from the garage. Great way to burn off some energy when the weather’s lousy. Always recommend for new Spoo owners.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
I would LOVE to witness a dumbbell thief!
The person whose dog jumped the gate was deeply embarrassed and the person whose dumbbell was taken was pretty peeved. I would have liked to have seen Ian's dog making the trip there and back through all the rings.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti
1 - 13 of 13 Posts